PO NOW: Coldplay - Music Of The Spheres (October 15th)

Preorders are up on the bands site for the new album out October 15th: Music Of The Spheres. Looks like a webstore exclusive and then a retail version both on "recycled colored vinyl": 

https://usstore.coldplay.com/collections/music-of-the-spheres

Coldplay Announce New Album Music of the Spheres | Pitchfork

EmptyDrop COLSTDVINYL_3267f6d9-ec54-45a1-87d9-1551f17832cf_150x.png?v=1626790675

Here's both songs that have so far been released (Coloratura may be one of my favorite Coldplay songs in a long long time...)

Yeah...if people enjoy it, more power to them. I stopped thinking of myself as a Coldplay fan when "A head full of dreams" came out, maybe even on "Ghost Stories". They're a band for the masses, not an artsy indie band like I thought when Viva La Vida came out and I got into them - once I understood and accepted that I was able to let go off the whole "THEY SUCK NOW" attitude. The world doesn't really have a band anymore that is able to top the charts and fill stadiums like back in the day. Coldplay is the only band that is still able to, they don't have any rockstar vibes or charme whatsoever but I guess that reflects the shitty times mainstream music is in today. I mean the new tracklist includes fucking Emojis as song titles, you don't really need to say more.

6 minutes ago, Vega said:

I stopped thinking of myself as a Coldplay fan when "A head full of dreams" came out, maybe even on "Ghost Stories". 

Just as an added point, while I enjoyed "Coloratura", I haven't considered myself a Coldplay fan since "Viva La Vida". That was their last album I could actually listen to, front to back. 

7 minutes ago, ethanpricington said:

Just as an added point, while I enjoyed "Coloratura", I haven't considered myself a Coldplay fan since "Viva La Vida". That was their last album I could actually listen to, front to back. 

Actually thinking about it, I probably agree. Mylo Xyloto has some great songs, but the production sucks and some of the tracks are pretty big miscalculations. That album is still very interesting to me though, as in I've never found any info about one behind the scenes aspect: when they made Mylo and uploaded some snippet videos and gave some interviews from the studio it sounded like they where making a very quiet record (Wedding Bells, and as a general vibe at that time their christmas track Christmas Lights) which would have been quite a fitting follow up to Viva La Vida. At some point during production they seemed to have decided to go in an electronic direction instead of an acoustic one. Would love to know if the label had anything to do with that or if that was just where they wanted to take it. But to be fair to them, this may have kept them on the mainstream radar that they have managed to stay on until now.

I agree in that Coldplay are capable of much more than the pablum they've been cranking out for the last few albums. Mylo is where they lost me, but Ghost Stories has the song Midnight on it, which is such a killer track and I'd like to hear an album in that more experimental, ethereal vein. I think they'd be very good at it. I'll keep holding on to hope.

56 minutes ago, OneThreeOneTwo said:

Muse still fills stadiums

But Muse doesn't have top 10 or 20 singles anymore, far from it actually. I don't care about billboard charts etc. but Coldplay is the only band who still stands beside the big pop acts in that regard and is actually a band on stage who sells out the big arenas, that combination of those two things is something that used to be normal for big bands, nowadays they're the only band who can do it for some reason. Bands like U2 can't make it onto the charts anymore either.

1 minute ago, Vega said:

But Muse doesn't have top 10 or 20 singles anymore, far from it actually. I don't care about billboard charts etc. but Coldplay is the only band who still stands beside the big pop acts in that regard and is actually a band on stage who sells out the big arenas, that combination of those two things is something that used to be normal for big bands, nowadays they're the only band who can do it for some reason. Bands like U2 can't make it onto the charts anymore either. With albums yes, but they don't land hit singles.

Added one more sentence, for some reason the edit made a quoted post, sorry

Edited by Vega

21 hours ago, Vega said:

But Muse doesn't have top 10 or 20 singles anymore, far from it actually. I don't care about billboard charts etc. but Coldplay is the only band who still stands beside the big pop acts in that regard and is actually a band on stage who sells out the big arenas, that combination of those two things is something that used to be normal for big bands, nowadays they're the only band who can do it for some reason. Bands like U2 can't make it onto the charts anymore either.

U2's Songs of Experience charted at #1 in the US.  

On 7/25/2021 at 4:34 PM, Vega said:

Charts haven't mattered for years. And your argument was no other band fills stadiums. Arguing chart placement is not the same argument. Because the obvious conclusion of that argument is that Migos or [insert non-white musicians performing non-rock music here] outsell Coldplay easily.

U2 can't make it to charts because they haven't been relevant for over 20 years now. Apples and oranges comparison. Muse and Coldplay are peers. Apples to apples comparison.

Edited by OneThreeOneTwo

Has Muse played Football stadiums in the US? I would think they were more big market arena/small market fieldhouse sized 'big'. Not stadium status.

But yes, I think Coldplay has been the last new rock band to get to stadium level, but there are plenty of current rock acts that could sell out stadiums (I don't think Muse is one of them).

Edited by timsimmons

21 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

Has Muse played Football stadiums in the US?

Muse play out a lot of stadiums in Europe, S. America & "ROW". They tour more often/play multiple nights in many markets than Coldplay does.

Coldplay play very few stadiums in the US. That's not a huge number, tbh. 6-10 cities at most prior to their last tour, which was multi-year.

Edited by OneThreeOneTwo

On 7/26/2021 at 7:58 PM, YouTwo said:

U2's Songs of Experience charted at #1 in the US.  

Yah, I wrote in a direct edit "With albums yes, but they don't land hit singles", of course they land on no 1 with albums, every big band does even if their new stuff isn't as relevant anymore.

On 7/27/2021 at 1:10 AM, OneThreeOneTwo said:

Charts haven't mattered for years. And your argument was no other band fills stadiums. Arguing chart placement is not the same argument. Because the obvious conclusion of that argument is that Migos or [insert non-white musicians performing non-rock music here] outsell Coldplay easily.

U2 can't make it to charts because they haven't been relevant for over 20 years now. Apples and oranges comparison. Muse and Coldplay are peers. Apples to apples comparison.

That makes absolutely no sense 🤣 charts matter because streaming numbers count into billboard charts as well now. If you're a Weeknd or an Ariana Grande you can make shitloads from Spotify streams alone, even if most other artists can't. If you have a billion plus streams that's about the same as if you had a number one single back in the 90s, so yes, charts do still matter in that regard. Also, my argument wasn't that Coldplay are the only stadium filling band, they're the only band who in addition to that still have chart topping singles on top of that. That combination was normal back in the day and has now become a rarity, not so hard to understand right? And the focus lies on bands here, not on one or a group of idiots who can't play instruments and mumble some words over a track someone else wrote for them, which was my point in the first place.