Introduce Yourself!

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dea

Favorite Bands: 
Murder By Death, mewithoutYou, La Dispute, Prince, Father John Misty, Dr. Dog, Tigers Jaw, Ben Harper, PJ Harvey, the rutabega, The National, Baths, Elliott Smith (and too many others)

What's your Facebook/Twitter/Tumblr etc.?: 
twitter (rarely, if ever used): auroracanis

Hobbies (outside of record collecting): 
going to concerts, yoga, skateboarding/snowboarding, graphic design/art, petting dogs

Play in a band? Run a record label? Link us!:
no formal band, but play bass guitar, and manage a band :)

Random things you want us to know about you: 
- ran a radio station, booked bands, and DJ'd for 4 years

- podcast fiend

- have been told I make a mean irish car-bomb cupcake

- I don't understand the hype for animal collective [does anyone?]

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure if this site "requires" it, but I would like to introduce myself as I plan to post in the "Sale/Trade/Want" section after this!

My name is Mikell and I honestly don't know much about vinyl. My wife however loves and swears by it, I would love to learn more and also be able to purchase vinyl for her. Learning about the condition level and cleaning and care things like that. 

The experience with vinyl simply ends with the fact that my mother has a vintage record player cabinet that we play our elvis and ella fitzgerald christmas albums on. It's great considering that was the era of music I was raised on and only being 25 myself. 

Hopefully this will become a very shared passion between us.

• 2 weeks later...

Might as well post here, since I've already been posting everywhere else.

I'm William, Will, BillJim, whatever...I'll answer to any of 'em.

Favorite Bands: 
It varies from year to year, but the ones that have remained consistent are Modern Life Is War, Converge, mewithoutYou, Deftones, Blacklisted, etc. etc etc.

What's your Facebook/Twitter/Tumblr etc.?

I gave up on Tumblr, rarely use Facebook anymore, and am on Twitter (@thebilljim) entirely too much. So use that.

Poetry - I have a bunch of stuff published around the internet (and an archive of it all at www.williamjamespoetry.com) and a full length book coming out early next year.

No band, but I yell poems at shows with bands my friends are in. I have some live sets posted at williamjames174.bandcamp.com. There's at LEAST three people on this board whom I've played more than one show with.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! 

Nick

Favorite Bands: 
Too many to count. For the sake of this question here are some current favs. A$AP Rocky, Gorillaz, Diiv, Julien Baker. 

@thecuphead on twitter

Playing video games and dropping piles of money on my cat

It's lit

• 3 weeks later...

i've been here for a while, but never did this

maximillion (i go by max)

favorite artists:

the wonder years, american football, old gray, twiabp, flying lotus, elliott smith, pre-2009 green day, the front bottoms, touche amore, iwrotehaikusaboutcannibalisminyouryearbook

what's your facebook/twitter/tumblr/etc?

my tumblr is decembers-tragic-drive

play in a band? run a record label? link us!

i can sing and play guitar, piano, and ukulele, but i don't have a band.

hobbies (outside of record collecting)

i consider myself a poet (hoping to have enough for a book by the end of the year)

random things you want us to know

i'm a junior in high school, i'm a master shitposter. i'm here for anyone that needs emotional support, i'm starting to get into indie films, and overall i feel like i'm a pretty ok person and i'm hella open to make friends on here.  :)

David

favorite artists:

Coheed & Cambria Taking Back Sunday Brand New

what's your facebook/twitter/tumblr/etc?

On Facebook as David Metallo

play in a band? run a record label? link us!

Learned guitar in middle school but quickly forgot

hobbies (outside of record collecting)

I love riding my motorcycle! Adventure riding has taken the place of motocross as I have gotten more fragile!

Photography

Woodworking

random things you want us to know

Can't think of anything right now

• 2 weeks later...

tony

Favorite Bands:

ryan adams, butch walker, jesse malin, lydia

www.twitter.com/thetonysicilia

photography.

No.

I like long walks on the beach.

Justin

Favorite Bands: 
I'll just mention some recent favorites -- HAIM, Courtney Barnett, Waters, Cherry Glazerr, The She's

I'm very active...

http://instagram.com/nerd.justin

http://www.facebook.com/nerdgazette

http://twitter.com/NERDGAZETTE

http://www.youtube.com/user/justinjayubo

http://www.nerdgazette.com/

Travel, the outdoors, cooking, dancing, movies, rollerskating 

A long time ago there was a band..... I play ukulele for fun now

Photographer & YouTube for work; neither were my first choice in a career. I go to anime/comic conventions throughout the year.

BAS

Favorite Bands/Artists:

A few all timers: Jawbreaker, Hot Water Music, Talking Heads, J-Dilla, pre-retirement Jay-Z, Wiley, Loefah

A few recent favourites: Future, Kendrick Lamar, Omar S, Dean Blunt, Anthony Naples, Sauna Youth, Cloud Nothings, MSSINGNO

Instagram.com/donkadonkadonk

Music, art and culture, travel, food+booze

Band a long time ago, lots of bedroom producing and sporadic DJ gigs these days

Live in London, journo for work

Hello,

I just created an account here and recently turned 30.  My collection began with some of my parents old records.  Then I got sucked in by the whole Third Man Records craze, the 2011 Record Store Day, and merch stands at live shows.  My collection has grown from there.  I am from outside the New York City area, but currently live in Seattle.

The first band I thoroughly explored was the Doors, bootlegs and all.  From there I got into Bob Dylan and haven't looked back since.  I try to be open towards all kinds of music.

I look forward to contributing around here.

Just been a member a few months

Scott

Favorite Bands/Artists:

Nothing too crazy; the Menzingers, Restorations, the 1975, Anberlin, the Killers, Copeland

Instagram.com/thescott_siegel

Twitter @thescott_siegel

Working out, live music, food

none of the above

30 years old. I live in the Austin area with my girlfriend, and am a Financial Analyst. Just an easy going

person that likes to talk about music, pop culture, and other random stuff.

I've been posting for a couple of months but since I finally ventured outside the vinyl section of VC...

Favorite Bands: System Of A Down, Tool, Type O Negative, Mastodon, Woods of Ypres, Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth, Deftones, Killswitch Engage, Portishead, Kendrick Lamar, Vince Staples, Kanye West, Drake, Run The Jewels, AFI, Led Zeppelin, I could go on.

What's your Facebook/Twitter/Tumblr etc.?: deactivated my shit, probably reactivate next month.

Play in a band? Run a record label? Link us!: Soon, hopefully I'll have my metal project recorded by this year. I also play bass for a hip-hop artist, so that's cool. I'm currently a student at Musician's Institute in Hollywood getting my AA in Guitar Performance.

Hobbies (outside of record collecting): Crying, writing songs, writing a screenplay rn, playing pokémon or fallout, dying.

Random things you want us to know about you: I suck at life, but oh well. I already mentioned I'm a college kid, that's my life.

Dora Lilia

Favorite Bands: 
The Beatles and Hole.

twitter.com/Kinkyeyedolly
facebook.com/zazekina
soundcloud.com/zazekina
instagram.com/zazekina

Singer/ songwriter

All by myself.... 

I was supposed to be an accountant but I had to drop that plan and focus on my music.

Hi VC!

I used to hang around these boards quite a lot a few years back. I've been using most of my time trying to be a good dad these last few years so I haven't really had the time to hang out online. I came to think of VC the other day and decided to give it a look, see if it's still fun. I guess posting a new presentation would be a good place to start.

Christer.

Favorite Bands: 
Can't name 'em all. But, lately I've been listening a lot to bands like Ajax, Blood Pressure and Impalers. I used to be a sucker for all things related to No Idea and still love a lot of that stuff. I dig artists like Austin Lucas, Bonnie Prince Billy, Jason Molina and Steve Earle etc. Also, to name a couple more: Baroness, Young Widows, Converge, Coliseum, Self Defense Family, Punch, Decemberists, Tragedy, Fucked Up, The Clash, Mescaleros, latin american music, swedish stuff like Victims, Totalitär, Herätys blah blah and the list goes on.

Oh yeah, I love The Measure (SA).

I have a website where I post interviews, feel free to have a look:

http://www.smallhoursjournal.com

The outdoors, birdwatching (yeah, for real), watching skateboarding videos (too old to be doing it myself), reading books (favorite author is Gabriel García Marquez).

I used to be in punk bands. I had a cassette label and put out Hot Water Music, Bouncing Souls, Banquets, VRGNS, The New Dress etc.

- I'm Swedish

- I'm 34

- I love South America

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny, I'm just a regular guy, wife and two kids, trying to make it in this f***** up world. I also happen to make really great music, but in order to get it out there, I have to play this role and sign up to all of this, instead of just asking everyone to check out my music, let me know what you think and share it if you dig it. So that is my goal here, my name is Guy Williams, I live in Redford Michigan, I am currently on workman's comp because I got hurt at work a year ago on the 20th and at 37 years old, I'm trying to break into an industry that caters to people 20 years younger than me. That being said, I hope you enjoy the track I have posted, there are 11 more available on our website, but first things first. For me and my band, it's all about exposing the truth, we hope you enjoy. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153609189800787&id=790650786

Mike

Favorite Bands: 
john coltrane, mewithoutyou, paul simon, the band, toshiko akiyoshi, toe., björk

instagram.com/highjazz (for my record collection/fashion.  same pic every day)

instagram.com/m.d.roberts (personal)

drinkinsakeonasuzuki.tumblr.com

making clothes, music production, basketball, fashion

soundcloud.com/copknocks

i'm in law school.  i grew up on a farm.  i live in pittsburgh, pa.  i once grabbed a department store employees butt because i thought it was a mannequin.  (she was not amused).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm shy. 

Favorite Artists:

Queens of the Stone Age, Japandroids, A Tribe Called Quest, Thelonious Monk, Wu-Tang Clan, MF Doom, Cream, Radiohead, Spoon, Kendrick Lamar, and others

What's your facebook/twitter/tumblr/etc?

Twitter: @SandwichRecords

Play in a band? Run a record label? Link us!

I played in a band in high school that had many names, the highlight of which was probably Bald Sasquatch. Since then, nothing. Maybe I'll get back to it. 

Hobbies (outside of record collecting)

I brew beer. I like the experimentation involved with making your own. I'm a father, and brewing is the perfect hobby for a parent. It takes a couple hours, then you wait. Couple hours, then wait another couple weeks. And then you end up with beer. 

Random Things You Want Us to Know

Concerning records, I'm a slightly more knowledgable person than your average kid who just bought his first Crosley. So I'm mainly looking to learn more about records on here. I've run into some pretty vicious and snarky folks so far that have pounced on some posters - a bad first impression. But I've also really learned a ton from some posts and enjoyed getting the jump on deals and new releases. 

I'm shy. 

Favorite Artists:

Queens of the Stone Age, Japandroids, A Tribe Called Quest, Thelonious Monk, Wu-Tang Clan, MF Doom, Cream, Radiohead, Spoon, Kendrick Lamar, and others

What's your facebook/twitter/tumblr/etc?

Twitter: @SandwichRecords

Play in a band? Run a record label? Link us!

I played in a band in high school that had many names, the highlight of which was probably Bald Sasquatch. Since then, nothing. Maybe I'll get back to it. 

Hobbies (outside of record collecting)

I brew beer. I like the experimentation involved with making your own. I'm a father, and brewing is the perfect hobby for a parent. It takes a couple hours, then you wait. Couple hours, then wait another couple weeks. And then you end up with beer. 

Random Things You Want Us to Know

Concerning records, I'm a slightly more knowledgable person than your average kid who just bought his first Crosley. So I'm mainly looking to learn more about records on here. I've run into some pretty vicious and snarky folks so far that have pounced on some posters - a bad first impression. But I've also really learned a ton from some posts and enjoyed getting the jump on deals and new releases. 

Welcome! 

• 3 weeks later...

hey, i'm starting to post here instead of lurking. what's up. i'll intro myself

Kyle

Favorite Bands: 
Cursive, Bomb the Music Industry!, Tenement, Cloud Nothings, Elliott Smith, Against Me!, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Weezer, Drake, Kanye

instagram: tacosupremekohl_  twitter: stagebanterpodcast

going to shows, podcasting, writing

this is my podcast: http://stagebanterpodcast.podbean.com/

this is/was my band: https://spaceshipparts.bandcamp.com/

sell me your rare saddle creek records

Joe

Favorite Bands: 
Run The Jewels, Nas, Del Tha Funkee Homosapien, Aesop Rock, AFI, Earth, Wind, And Fire, Circa Survive, Outkast, Atmosphere, Have Heart, and etc.

@MrPoor304 on twitter

Video Games, Music, Hip-Hop, Programming, Cats, Rapping

Richard Poor

https://soundcloud.com/richard-poor-301286283

At one point in my life I went by Poetik

https://soundcloud.com/poetikhiphop

I recently quit smoking

I suck at rapping

I'm on to plan b...starting a record store out of spite

• 3 weeks later...

Joachim

Favorite Bands: 
The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, The Black Crowes, Cult of Luna, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Rolling Stones, Atomic Swing, Jimi Hendrix, Deftones, Nick Drake, Dismember, Alice In Chains, Turbonegro, Mark Lanegan, Blind Melon, Jane's Addiction, The Sonics...and many many many more...

Don't do those.

Painting, reading, watching football (the game where you can't touch the ball with your hands, hence "football"), photography.

No. 

Sun, sun, sun.

Edit: I have one vinyl player at work as well (not as good as the one at home though), so I can enjoy good music all day. Most of the people who notice it are more than surprised...

Edited by Mr Mojo
I added some info

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Introduce Yourself!