PO: TWIABP - Illusory Walls (10/8/2021)

feel so crazy to be someone who'd buy every dumb fucking piece of music they'd shit out to not even feeling compelled to get their last three releases.  if this was 2016 lineup live album, i'd be all over it, but they sound so neutered live now. it's not even a "i cant get into the new stuff" problem, they just literally just the sauce (the sauce being their OG members/best guitarists and songwriters).

• 5 months later...

They picked David because he could copy Tom perfectly. I liked the choice until it caused a rift in the band. The reality is this band contains pretty much zero major contributors from this album besides the rhythm section. The main songwriter left after Harmlessness which is why LP3 is terrible and they're a different sound on LP4 cuz LP3 didn't work.

I would guess that at least 60 percent of people going to these shows don’t know that David wasn’t the singer on the whole album. I feel like this entire time unless you’ve been following them forever, they've been really good at not acknowledging the past and their lineup changes and people don’t catch on. 

I remember when LP3 came out and I was like  “this sucks, this is missing all of what I liked about this band” then people online would be like “oh so you miss an abusers songwriting?” as if that’s the only change that had happened until then 

43 minutes ago, porkdad said:

I would guess that at least 60 percent of people going to these shows don’t know that David wasn’t the singer on the whole album. I feel like this entire time unless you’ve been following them forever, they've been really good at not acknowledging the past and their lineup changes and people don’t catch on. 

I remember when LP3 came out and I was like  “this sucks, this is missing all of what I liked about this band” then people online would be like “oh so you miss an abusers songwriting?” as if that’s the only change that had happened until then 

The "abuser" put out an incredible song on this split if you hadn't heard and miss some of that sound https://www.friendclubrecords.com/products/670759-fcr010-one-hundred-year-ocean-you-could-be-a-cop-split-12

I guess only having their original bassist is rough and I never gave it much thought. In comparison it's kind of crazy how much hate this band gets for only having 1 original member and lineup changes but god forbid I try to say anything about the people using the names Fit For a King, Chelsea Grin, or especially Norma Jean.

Aren’t all 3 of those bands kinda’ garbage though?

I know Norma Jean had a pretty big following back in the day – especially among kids obsessed with Underoath or too afraid to explore music from any label that wasn’t T&N – but I guess I never really bit on the hype.  It does look like their later string of records had performed better than I thought though, to be fair.  Whatever they did with their lineup seems to be working well with critics and fans alike, I dunno.

But those other 2… 😶

33 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Aren’t all 3 of those bands kinda’ garbage though?

I know Norma Jean had a pretty big following back in the day – especially among kids obsessed with Underoath or too afraid to explore music from any label that wasn’t T&N – but I guess I never really bit on the hype.  It does look like their later string of records had performed better than I thought though, to be fair.  Whatever they did with their lineup seems to be working well with critics and fans alike, I dunno.

But those other 2… 😶

Kind of lol. Cory of NJ has been outed for racist comments and being a POS in general. The Devil Wears Prada, who took them out on tour in 2019, openly said "fuck that guy" but somehow they still get support. I assume people don't know better. FFAK is really hit or miss with songs. Deathgrip is a great metalcore album, the rest are hit or miss. Chelsea Grin was great at the time with Alex but he fell into alcoholism and hasn't been let back in the band even though he was the only original. I don't like 99% of deathcore nowadays anyway.

2 hours ago, N8TRU said:

I guess only having their original bassist is rough and I never gave it much thought. In comparison it's kind of crazy how much hate this band gets for only having 1 original member and lineup changes but god forbid I try to say anything about the people using the names Fit For a King, Chelsea Grin, or especially Norma Jean.

To be fair I use far more energy hating this band than any other band. They were also one of my favorite bands of all time, I'm just mad it fell apart. The new prog shit is fine but I can't listen to it.

5 minutes ago, Shelby said:

To be fair I use far more energy hating this band than any other band. They were also one of my favorite bands of all time, I'm just mad it fell apart. The new prog shit is fine but I can't listen to it.

I'd be mad too. That's exactly how I feel about Grayscale once they signed to Fearless.

i can’t listen to any of their new music but my girlfriend got me tickets to the 10 year anniversary tour for my birthday and I’m not about to give her the old “thanks no thanks” while explaining emo drama from 2016 so we will be going to the show and I’m gonna have fun 🙂

13 hours ago, parkinglot said:

i can’t listen to any of their new music but my girlfriend got me tickets to the 10 year anniversary tour for my birthday and I’m not about to give her the old “thanks no thanks” while explaining emo drama from 2016 so we will be going to the show and I’m gonna have fun 🙂

you better not have fun!

• 1 month later...

There's a 10th year anni. press of Whenever

"Limited anniversary edition vinyl for Whenever, If Ever is available now in our store! Remastered from the original mixes! …http://theworldisabeautifulplace.limitedrun.com Green Marble and Clear variants, plus we will have a special third one only available on our tour starting this month."

11 minutes ago, porkdad said:

There's a 10th year anni. press of Whenever

"Limited anniversary edition vinyl for Whenever, If Ever is available now in our store! Remastered from the original mixes! …http://theworldisabeautifulplace.limitedrun.com Green Marble and Clear variants, plus we will have a special third one only available on our tour starting this month."

Green - /800 - https://theworldisabeautifulplace.limitedrun.com/products/740428-whenever-if-ever-anniversary-evergreen-marble-vinyl
Clear- /420 - https://theworldisabeautifulplace.limitedrun.com/products/740427-whenever-if-ever-anniversary-clear-vinyl

looks like there is a clear and evergreen marble variant on their bandcamp: 

https://theworldis.bandcamp.com/album/whenever-if-ever

not sure the run on this variant.

also, these are being pressed by Wax Bodega? I had another WB release in my Bandcamp cart and it knocked down the shipping on this when I added it  

36 minutes ago, andables said:

looks like there is a clear and evergreen marble variant on their bandcamp: 

https://theworldis.bandcamp.com/album/whenever-if-ever

not sure the run on this variant.

also, these are being pressed by Wax Bodega? I had another WB release in my Bandcamp cart and it knocked down the shipping on this when I added it  

Wax Bodega people also run Many Hats Distribution and some shit called Misc. that basically does all the record pressing shit for you so you can be independent/without a label. 

Misc. is the company that is “releasing” this.