PO: TWIABP - Illusory Walls (10/8/2021)

47 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Maybe?  Probably.  I've never been obsessive about the band – I will take your word for it, and MacDonals' above, too.  Whoever produced prior records, and whoever produced this one, regardless... I'm just saying that the guitar sounds especially dominant in the mix this time around.  Not a complaint on my end, or anything.  (I typically gravitate towards guitars in the music I listen to.)

I tried it.  I get that it's a written record – verbatim – of the phone convo, but a quarter of the way in I just got exhausted.

like.png

Yeah... it had to be a pretty tumultuous time for the band and their prior lineup, leading into Always Foreign.  I have no doubt about that.  I know you probably weren't necessarily trying to defend the record or explain why I'm being too harsh on it... but just speaking bluntly and taking the album at face value, it doesn't do anything for me in the slightest.  Bummer history or not, you know?  Whether it was a result of a shakeup with the contributors, or an unforgiving time window they had to work with... ultimately it doesn't really matter when the end product is such a swing and a miss.  It's cool that this new album is back on the rails, albeit quite a different track and direction to go in.

I hate editing - thanks for giving the interview a shot tho 

26 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

Lol same. It was kinda a hard read. If it had been audio it probably would have made more sense. I had to mentally read it given other video interviews of him talking. But good info if you can finish.

Trust me you don’t want audio of my voice lol 

I’ll come back to it in doses, sounds like there’s some juicy discussion in there.  It’s just one of those things where once you start noticing it, it can’t be unseen.  I do second the idea that if it were a video or podcast, I wouldn’t think twice about it.  (Let the record show I’m also pretty guilty of abusing “like” in loose conversation too.)

11 hours ago, MacDonals said:

I became very skeptical if this band could still make a good album. Derrick/Nicole (who was their major songwriter) left and attempted to cancel the band, then they put out the stinker album, Always Foreign. I thought I was done with them, but this album is fantastic. I may have to buy the record now.

Let’s not use people’s dead names ;) 

Round 2 has revealed that there isn’t really a weak link on this entire record.  The Blank // Interludes are so-so, and I appreciate them as breathers or whatever.  But even the singles I was initially lukewarm on have really nestled into their own pockets for the overall flow of this LP.  Trying to think of the last time a band surprised me with such a solid turnaround when they were on the brink of falling off my radar entirely.  Whoever said this could give Harmlessness a run for its money was not exaggerating.

Edited by Derek™

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

Definitely feeling this album now that I’ve had a chance to absorb the whole thing. Does anyone who ordered the Bandstore exclusive or Deathwish exclusive happen to know if you got a download code for preordering the album? 

Ordered the purple translucent, did not get a download, which very much seems to be the norm now. Don't have the vinyl so might get a drop in card. I've just been downloading everything I get from Deezer, which stinks because they now limit the free version to 128KB. Might subscribe for $60 just to get 320KB downloads.

4 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

Ordered the purple translucent, did not get a download, which very much seems to be the norm now. Don't have the vinyl so might get a drop in card. I've just been downloading everything I get from Deezer, which stinks because they now limit the free version to 128KB. Might subscribe for $60 just to get 320KB downloads.

Deemix subreddit has been continually posting arls for hifi with unlimited logins so you can use that, alternatively burner emails and privacy.com cards for infinite free trials 

Look.  When you're wrong, you're wrong.  Sometimes you just have to own it.

still think this album is doing it for me, and hasn't lost its luster over the past month.  If anything, it's actually gotten better.  While I still believe January 10th, 2014 is quite possibly the best thing they've written and recorded under the WIABP name... as a whole LP, punch for punch; I'm thinking I'd rank this higher than Harmlessness.  Which I 100% was not expecting after the massive misstep - for me - that was Always Foreign, or the seemingly "eh" singles, at first glance.  I don't know if I've been pleasantly proven more wrong by a record this year.  Or in a long while, actually.  Gonna' rep the art as an avatar as penance for my misplaced trust.

12 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Look.  When you're wrong, you're wrong.  Sometimes you just have to own it.

still think this album is doing it for me, and hasn't lost its luster over the past month.  If anything, it's actually gotten better.  While I still believe January 10th, 2014 is quite possibly the best thing they've written and recorded under the WIABP name... as a whole LP, punch for punch; I'm thinking I'd rank this higher than Harmlessness.  Which I 100% was not expecting after the massive misstep - for me - that was Always Foreign, or the seemingly "eh" singles, at first glance.  I don't know if I've been pleasantly proven more wrong by a record this year.  Or in a long while, actually.  Gonna' rep the art as an avatar as penance for my misplaced trust.

I totally echo all of this! Due to how great it is, I'm going to see them live a week from today. Hoping I can pick up the tour variant at the show as well; I saw on Instagram that they do have a few to sell at each show.

2 hours ago, HeartSwells said:

The album is really shaping up to be one of my favourites of the year, really wanna grab the blue/orange galaxy - anyone know if it’s meant to have some sort of EU supplier at a later date?

Kinda confused by the “tour exclusive / EU pressing” phrasing.

Epitaph is pressing all their records in Europe. I don't think it will be available in Europe for sale. On the secondhand market it will be easy to obtain though. 

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

Anyone know what's up with the purple pressing? Looked at Discogs and every other variant is up there. Maybe just because it was a larger number? All my favorite releases from 2021 were delayed vinyl wise.

Waiting patiently for some kind of update too.  Last I heard they were intended to ship in December, I believe?

was just thinking about this the other day and I reached out to the merch team:

Hi there! Thank you for reaching out.

Unfortunately we have received notice that this preorder will be delayed further, but we are waiting on an updated ETA. We will update as soon as we are provided with an updated estimated ship date.

Thank you for your patience!

• 7 months later...

Vinyl for that Live Release “Thank You For Being Here”

Black 180g - Epitaph: https://epitaph.store/product/22549/thank-you-for-being-here-live-lp-black-180g

Orange - Band Exclusive: https://theworldisabeautifulplace.limitedrun.com/products/730953-thank-you-for-being-here-band-webstore-exclusive-lp

Edited by MCDELTAT