PO: Kayo Dot - Moss Grew on the Swords and Plowshares Alike (MOTW)

The stark frailty of the human condition is the overall theme running through the veins of KAYO DOT's 10th regular studio album "Moss Grew on the Swords and Plowshares Alike". In the sprawling, churning musical multiverse of mainly multi-instrumentalist Toby Driver's creation that has never accepted nor cared for any artificial borders of genre and incorporated for example rock, metal, classical music, goth, indie, pop, and jazzy structures, this avant-garde album appears to tilt towards a more harsh as well as heavy approach than on some of the previous recordings – and considering its dark and melancholic undertones may be given the epithet doom. Something of the pagan mind's cyclic vision of the world appears to have infected "Moss Grew on the Swords and Plowshares Alike". This album has been recorded with the original line-up of Toby Driver's previous band MAUDLIN OF THE WELL. He also recorded the new tracks in the same location as the very first MAUDLIN OF THE WELL tape. In a way, KAYO DOT are celebrating the 20th anniversary of the release of the landmark double album "Bath/Leaving Your Body Map" and the 25 years since MAUDLIN OF THE WELL's inception with "Moss Grew on the Swords and Plowshares Alike". After the split of much loved MAUDLIN OF THE WELL, charismatic frontman Toby Driver formed the avant-garde music project KAYO DOT as a new outlet for his burgeoning creativity in 2003. The multi-instrumentalist and singer remains the only absolute constant in this band, although there are frequent lyrical contributions from his former band-mate Jason Byron throughout the extensive discography. In the following 18 years, KAYO DOT released an impressive number of full-lengths, EPs, splits, and live recordings that are all marked by considerable stylistic differences and a wide array of instrumentation that included guitars, bass, drums, vibraphone, violin, synthesizers, flutes, clarinets and saxophone. Especially in progressive circles, KAYO DOT has become a household name and is supported by prestigious, forward thinking festivals such as Roadburn. With "Moss Grew on the Swords and Plowshares Alike", KAYO DOT deliver another beautiful and essential facet of their complex musical multiverse, although the album can easily stand on its own as a most impressive piece of dark avant-garde metal.

Green vinyl and black vinyl versions available here - https://kayodot.bandcamp.com/album/moss-grew-on-the-swords-and-plowshares-alike

or here -

https://us.prophecy.de/artists/kayo-dot/kayo-dot-moss-grew-on-the-swords-and-plowshares-alike-vinyl-2-lp-gatefold.html

New song -

Edited by morfiend

1 hour ago, alwaysopenmouth said:

Will have to check this out, I’ve passed on Blasphemy but have really been digging Coffins on Io lately. I put that album on while folding laundry a week ago and it was awesome

Coffins has been such a pain for me to find, need to step up the chase. Although I thought Blasphemy was really cool too, need to put that on today!

14 minutes ago, swallowtales said:

Coffins has been such a pain for me to find, need to step up the chase. Although I thought Blasphemy was really cool too, need to put that on today!

Same here, I bought a test from Flenser last year but can’t get a regular copy for a decent price. Toby did say Prophecy was planning on pressing the back catalogue, we’ll see.

3 hours ago, alwaysopenmouth said:

Kayo Dot was the last band I saw live before covid, March 12th 2020. There was like 25 max at the venue, I’m kicking myself for not buying merch but none of the shirts were good 😕

I’m not missing any more cool shows in the future

I missed the Seattle show, it was in the middle of the week and I just couldn’t swing it. I did buy a long sleeve tour shirt and a Coffins shirt from Toby off Bandcamp,

• 2 months later...

I’ve heard the new album and it’s some of Toby‘s best work yet. I loved Blasphemy but this might be on another level, it’s definitely heavier and more complex. 

Check out this interview Toby did with JWW (ex Agalloch). Sounds like we may not see Kayo Dot tour again. 

https://hatepod.podbean.com/e/episode-56-toby-driver-kayo-dot-alora-crucible-vaura/

Edited by morfiend