Does anyone else have a dust/debris accumulation issue on their player?

Hello everyone,

I've been collecting records since I received a player last Christmas, and the one issue in terms of audio playback on these machines that has consistently dogged me since then is that the needle on my player is often  clouded with dust and other debris, typically only after playing one song.  Does anyone have any advice for ensuring that debris stays off the needle? I frequently clean my records with a brush and cleaning solution, and I use a separate brush to remove unwanted material off of the needle. If anyone has any suggestion for ensuring that dust stays off of my records, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Not to be rude, but it does sound like there may be excessive dust floating around in your room. I used a vacuum RCM similar to the VPI model for a few years, but after moving to Europe I've had to go without, and I honestly don't notice a significant difference. I don't get much dirt built-up, if at all on my stylus, and I only brush it after every 5-10 sides I play. RCM's are definitely nice to have, but if there's a lot of extra dust floating around they can only do so much. An air purifier might actually help, and it would cost much less than a VPI.

20 hours ago, Plarocks said:

VPI record cleaning machine.

https://www.musicdirect.com/cleaning-machines/vpi-165-basic-bundle

Brushes and liquid don’t do squat except move the dirt around.

Thanks! I'll pull up the $900 I totally am in possession of to spend on something that will improve the sound of my plastic.

Perhaps I should get out of this game before it gets too expensive...

On 8/7/2021 at 4:21 AM, shanesawkool said:

Thanks! I'll pull up the $900 I totally am in possession of to spend on something that will improve the sound of my plastic.

The alternative was to clean your room... 

Edited by Buffbloom

11 hours ago, shanesawkool said:

Maybe you should just sell all your vinyl now

On 8/7/2021 at 1:31 PM, mike said:

Huh? I don’t think you’re doing it right then (but if you’ve got a VPI I guess it doesn’t matter). 

If you want to hear what the LP actually sounds like, you need one of these machines.

Not using one, and listening to your vinyl is like looking through a pair of glasses you never cleaned on both sides. But now, the VPI actually cleans them. 👍🏻

Edited by Plarocks

2 hours ago, timsimmons said:

Does your table have a dust cover? 

My dust cover always gets dusty. There is a thick layer of dust on it right now.  Does anyone have any tips or tricks to prevent this? I don't want to do any dusting and can't afford a solution that automatically removes dust particles from the air. Do they make dust cover covers? 

36 minutes ago, ntslash said:

My dust cover always gets dusty. There is a thick layer of dust on it right now.  Does anyone have any tips or tricks to prevent this? I don't want to do any dusting and can't afford a solution that automatically removes dust particles from the air. Do they make dust cover covers? 

I have a cat who loves to walk all over my dust cover. So I placed a dish towel and small framed picture over it to keep her off. Now I realize I have accidentally invented a dust cover cover!

spacer.png