Looking for Advice

Hi, newbie here.  Looking for some help..

I got a simple player, Jensen Jta230.  I did not buy it, was an accidental gift - a trophy.

But, I have been using it for few years and got into a vinyl listening habbit.

So, looking for advice on upgrade. 

- Would  i really experience an upgrade if i buy a $300-$400 player? Or should i look for a higher price  range?

- my other setup is Klipch R15M pair of bookshelfs.. with an old Onkyo amp...

I also have a pair of very old Bowers and Wilkins floor standing speakers, that i don't use for space limitation, but may consider if advisable.

What would you recommend 

I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I feel confident in saying nearly any TT  would be an improvement in sound quality and extending the life of your records than what you're currently using.  At the risk of sounding elitist and I really hate the way this sounds but, I wouldn't play my records on your turntable.  Not anything I valued anyway.  I'm not sure what your budget is, but you can drop about as much money as you can imagine on a set up.  I'd say from your current TT, a $300-400 TT upgrade would be a good start.  There's a good thread somewhere on here that I found really helpful when I was looking for real TT rather than the toy I was using at the time. 

get any player (cheapest you can find really) BUT it must have adjustable counterweight and antiskate ... that will minimise damage to the records (once set correctly).. then you can look at diffent carts etc .. but getting a player with those 2 things is key in long term record listening .

the amp and speakers should be fine for now.. definitely upgrade ya player ;)

Agree with others here...I'd stop using the Jensen to play vinyl, it will only damage them over time. If you dig spinning records, get yourself a nice entry level table like Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Rega Planar 1 or NAD C 558.  Also, for the same price there are a ton of excellent quality used vintage tables out there. Your speakers and amp are good.