PO: Queens of the Stone Age - Queens of the Stone Age

On 11/20/2021 at 6:59 AM, Iggy_Pilot said:

It exists. I had it in my hands the other day at a record fair for 25 €. I was in doubt about it and I do not buy counterfeit releases.

It was a sealed copy and the OBI strip said it was orange colored. The seller told me he got it from "a guy he knows" which was no official distribution channel.

There is a Discogs entry for a black edition. I could not find the barcode or the label's catalog no. on any official sources on the web though.

Runouts have (probably faked) Optimal Media matrix codes (BL4157201 A1 / BL4157201 B2) as well as a (well-faked imitation of) Chris Bellman's "CB" signature on the runout. Check the images on the Discogs entry below.

On the release history and in the reviews a user states "it is unofficial edition, i contacted the Label for info... and confirmed THAT! it is Unofficial edition not produced by them...." https://www.discogs.com/release/20567197-Queens-Of-The-Stone-Age-Queens-Of-The-Stone-Age

It just seems it is a very well-made counterfeit release.

So, I guess it turns out this isn’t a counterfeit. Everything here is identical to the official release. Great news that Chris Bellman cut it AND is only the 11 tracks.

Pre ordered an orange copy! 

10 hours ago, kjkenney said:

Niiiice, have had one of the 2xLP reissues since it came out, but always loved the original artwork and may double dip. I know SFTD is highly regarded as their best, but ST gets my motor runnin' like no other.

Curious how it’s gonna sound compared to the 2xLP from 2011. 

9 hours ago, Sad Heart said:

Curious how it’s gonna sound compared to the 2xLP from 2011. 

Probably about $80+ cheaper.

All these reissues have me in a chatty QOTSA mood though.  Do you – or anyone else – have some general thoughts on specific albums or anything else you feel like discussing?

⚠️ TLDR warning.  Thoughts, personal history, and babbling ahead.  Ignore if you’re only interested in links or chat about these vinyl reissues.

For me it all started with SFTD.  And by “started”, I mean I checked them out and really did not enjoy them. 😅 It’s such a weird introduction, but SSX3 on the PS2 had a pretty banger soundtrack that made the extreme nature of virtual snowboarding way more enjoyable for me.  (I owe that game gratitude for getting me into Thrice and, by proxy, modern music as a whole.  But I digress.)

On that game is a remix by UNKLE, of Queens’ No One Knows.  I thought the track was great, and got so used to the remix that when I finally checked out the studio version, it sounded so… rancid.  It was way more funky, with noticeably more swagger and groove.  My narrow tastes couldn’t handle it and I dismissed them for years while exploring newer artists.

I don’t know what changed but at some point down the road, after my tastes and tolerances for different sounds opened up a lot more, I tried out the entirety of SFTD and really enjoyed it.  Especially its scale and ambition, and all the detours it took.  I also really clicked with Rated R around that time.

To this day I can’t really get into LTP or Era Vulgaris.  I think that there are some excellent cuts on each but as a whole, front to back, those records never quite clicked with me.  I keep revisiting them every few years to see if that will change.

…LC, I thought was brilliant.  That album garnered so many accolades and shouts of praise, and I think it’s all pretty justified.  Villains is a step down for me.  I feel like everyone was shitting on that record; I don’t think it’s as consistent as …LC, and I remember thinking its pacing is very odd, with some nice moments earlier on and a string of bangers near the end.  Don’t quote me on any of that though, it’s been a while and I never played it obsessively.  I’m curious to hear what others think about it now that some time has passed.

And then, finally, only after Villains was released did I figure I’d check out the S/T.  Really weird approach to their discography, I know.  The S/T feels pretty lean and mean.  I dig the instrumental tracks and everything that isn’t making this single LP reissue, but at the same time I’m not gutted that those are missing.  For the price and presentation, I really can’t complain.  It’s a shame I didn’t start listening to it back when SFTD got the thumbs up from me.

I know some people are avid fans of the band.  I don’t think I’ve ever been that hardcore, but I do believe that they’ve got a very solid discography under their belts, and Villains was good enough that I’ll gladly keep checking out their trajectory they’re on with their songwriting.

On 9/23/2022 at 5:04 PM, Derek™ said:

Probably about $80+ cheaper.

All these reissues have me in a chatty QOTSA mood though.  Do you – or anyone else – have some general thoughts on specific albums or anything else you feel like discussing?

⚠️ TLDR warning.  Thoughts, personal history, and babbling ahead.  Ignore if you’re only interested in links or chat about these vinyl reissues.

For me it all started with SFTD.  And by “started”, I mean I checked them out and really did not enjoy them. 😅 It’s such a weird introduction, but SSX3 on the PS2 had a pretty banger soundtrack that made the extreme nature of virtual snowboarding way more enjoyable for me.  (I owe that game gratitude for getting me into Thrice and, by proxy, modern music as a whole.  But I digress.)

On that game is a remix by UNKLE, of Queens’ No One Knows.  I thought the track was great, and got so used to the remix that when I finally checked out the studio version, it sounded so… rancid.  It was way more funky, with noticeably more swagger and groove.  My narrow tastes couldn’t handle it and I dismissed them for years while exploring newer artists.

I don’t know what changed but at some point down the road, after my tastes and tolerances for different sounds opened up a lot more, I tried out the entirety of SFTD and really enjoyed it.  Especially its scale and ambition, and all the detours it took.  I also really clicked with Rated R around that time.

To this day I can’t really get into LTP or Era Vulgaris.  I think that there are some excellent cuts on each but as a whole, front to back, those records never quite clicked with me.  I keep revisiting them every few years to see if that will change.

…LC, I thought was brilliant.  That album garnered so many accolades and shouts of praise, and I think it’s all pretty justified.  Villains is a step down for me.  I feel like everyone was shitting on that record; I don’t think it’s as consistent as …LC, and I remember thinking its pacing is very odd, with some nice moments earlier on and a string of bangers near the end.  Don’t quote me on any of that though, it’s been a while and I never played it obsessively.  I’m curious to hear what others think about it now that some time has passed.

And then, finally, only after Villains was released did I figure I’d check out the S/T.  Really weird approach to their discography, I know.  The S/T feels pretty lean and mean.  I dig the instrumental tracks and everything that isn’t making this single LP reissue, but at the same time I’m not gutted that those are missing.  For the price and presentation, I really can’t complain.  It’s a shame I didn’t start listening to it back when SFTD got the thumbs up from me.

I know some people are avid fans of the band.  I don’t think I’ve ever been that hardcore, but I do believe that they’ve got a very solid discography under their belts, and Villains was good enough that I’ll gladly keep checking out their trajectory they’re on with their songwriting.

Gonna reply to all of this once I sit down at a computer, cause S/T was a gateway for me and your thoughts made me reflect on how important that album is to me, and what a gateway it was. 

I have the reissue from a while back but have always thought about grabbing a boot for the OG cover so I’ll keep an eye out locally. 

I’m always amazed out how widely opinions vary on their albums. I’m in for everything from Lullabies back, but nothing from Era forward gets me too excited, despite great songs on those records. I saw them in Montreal in the Lullabies tour and it’s still a top 5 show for me, which I think is where my love for Lullabies comes from.

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Thank you! This reminded me to order. Threw in a copy of Turn On The Bright Lights by Interpol. I have one from around 2010 but I'm curious to hear how this current press sounds.

I was curious to see what press you were talking about and don’t even see TOBTL in the Matador ship?  Unless I’m missing something or you’re referring to somewhere else.  The recent VMP 2LP press is a gem though, through and through.  I think every press before that one has been a single LP.  There’s no comparison.

1 hour ago, chiefwahoo said:

I know it doesn’t really matter – especially in context of a QOTSA thread – but on mobile, at least, that album doesn’t come up when searching for “Interpol” in their store.  All their other records do, but not TOBTL.  It will pop up if you search for it by name, or just “Bright Lights”, though. 🤔

On 10/14/2022 at 11:07 AM, Derek™ said:

I know it doesn’t really matter – especially in context of a QOTSA thread – but on mobile, at least, that album doesn’t come up when searching for “Interpol” in their store.  All their other records do, but not TOBTL.  It will pop up if you search for it by name, or just “Bright Lights”, though. 🤔

No matter what device I use, for some reason that album will not come up if you SEARCH for the band name. But if you click the band name link from another listing of theirs to see all their items, it DOES show up. Yeah, man. I struggled with that when I went to go find it for the first time recently. I was like "there's no way they just don't have the first album on here..." so I clicked the band name and bam. There she was.

Edited by mcpherson123

47 minutes ago, roadmonkey said:

Can't comment on how limited, but it can still be ordered on the matador store:

https://store.matadorrecords.com/catalog/product/view/id/11260/s/queens-of-the-stone-age/category/2/

Sweet. Just ordered. Thank you. 

Hopefully I’ll get a poster too.