PO: Kacey Musgraves - Star-Crossed LP

I’ll say this much though. This record fuckin’ killed  me.  It’s so emotional. And the lady song on it…fuuuuuuck. It got to me majorly. It’s in Spanish and it took me back to when my grandmother and I used to listen to music on the radio & just share. It slayed me. 

This album has just left me wanting "more."

The opening track is stellar and I thought it would really set the tone (or I guess "scene")  for the album... but the rest just seems be more bland in comparison. Especially following all her interviews I really thought she was going to dig deep into her emotions, but while some tracks certainly do, most just scratch at the surface. 

Also, I keep going back to the thinking of (and maybe this is why I'm hard on this album) how perfectly MisterWives's album SUPERBLOOM goes through the emotions of divorce/ending a relationship and set the bar super high for any albums with the same subject matter... and Star Crossed doesn't come anywhere close to it. 

7 hours ago, nardes said:

This album has just left me wanting "more."

The opening track is stellar and I thought it would really set the tone (or I guess "scene")  for the album... but the rest just seems be more bland in comparison. Especially following all her interviews I really thought she was going to dig deep into her emotions, but while some tracks certainly do, most just scratch at the surface. 

100% agree. I also feel like the whole "3 Acts - The Rise, The Fall & Recognition" thing totally didn't get a properly explored. Would've loved a true concept album where you actually split up the songs, and the storyline throughout details two lovers falling in and tragically out of love. Characters based on a reality but enough generality to allow for listener to interpret and apply to their own lives more.

Some of the album was almost too personal and specific to the point it just didn't hit with me. But hey, it probably hit with others and that's just the way music is. 

'hookup scene' is essentially what I expected from Kacey. That type of instrumentation and production just resonated with me emotionally way more than anything else on the album. 

very interesting to read these opinions.... i feel almost the opposite.  the opening track is the worst song on the album. so cheesy and forced and heavy-handed with the stupid "3 act tragedy" thing or whatever the concept is.  i was terrified that i'd have to deal with needless interludes and transitions between the acts.  instead it's subtle and understated, but you can tell where it splits if you listen.  it's perfectly executed in that sense, to me.

On 9/10/2021 at 5:44 PM, timsimmons said:

So 7 variants in all. Those 3, Target Orange, UK lavender, UK white, and her site split clear/lavender. 

9 variants.  There's also an international indie exclusive clear and a red jpe exclusive that's different than the mystery color.

Edited by pudge104

5 hours ago, jhulud said:

I received the signed LP box set yesterday. It's hella nicely done. But I think I will avoid variant-hunting on this release. May get the Target one. 

Earlier today she tweeted that the Target one is low on stock (obviously, take that for what it's worth) - I received mine yesterday, haven't had a chance to spin it, but I did open it up and it's a nice package. I won tix to her January show in the area through a promotion through her and the venue. Somehow someway, it comes with a copy of the vinyl... excited to see which version I end up with. also stoked to see her for the 4th time!

• 3 months later...