PO: R.E.M. - New Adventures in Hi-Fi (25th Anniversary)

27 minutes ago, danyc said:

Put out by Craft Recordings, so that sounds promising. They had the black but sold out also. 

https://craftrecordings.com/collections/frontpage/products/r-e-m-new-adventures-in-hi-fi-25th-anniversary-edition-2-lp

Craft Recording also put out Automatic for the people 25th anniversary. To me the E.U. pressing of it sounds terrible and I compared it to an OG pressing. Very lifeless and compressed unfortunately. I am talking about this one: https://www.discogs.com/REM-Automatic-For-The-People/release/11115961

They might have learned a lesson from it though and will not use GZ Media again.

Edited by Iggy_Pilot

I love that they are reissuing all of these, and I am excited to get another copy to give my original pressing a rest, but I really wish all of these 25th anniversary reissues had a bonus disc on vinyl of the bsides and rarities. I may be wrong, but I believe Out of Time has been the only one up to this point to do so? Monster also perplexingly was the only one to get an alternate mix? I’m not complaining, but they’re about as consistent as the Bowie camp has been on reissues. R.E.M. is (in my opinion) the greatest American rock band of all time, and they deserve to get the best treatment in getting all of their material in the hands of their fans. There are some gems that came after Eponymous and Dead Letter Office that I’d love to have on vinyl without tracking down the original 7” singles. Anyways, I’m very happy that anyone who’s had a New Adventures In HiFi sized hole in their collection can now plug it, if they choose to do so. 

3 hours ago, Trimm_Trabb said:

I love that they are reissuing all of these, and I am excited to get another copy to give my original pressing a rest, but I really wish all of these 25th anniversary reissues had a bonus disc on vinyl of the bsides and rarities. I may be wrong, but I believe Out of Time has been the only one up to this point to do so? Monster also perplexingly was the only one to get an alternate mix? I’m not complaining, but they’re about as consistent as the Bowie camp has been on reissues. R.E.M. is (in my opinion) the greatest American rock band of all time, and they deserve to get the best treatment in getting all of their material in the hands of their fans. There are some gems that came after Eponymous and Dead Letter Office that I’d love to have on vinyl without tracking down the original 7” singles. Anyways, I’m very happy that anyone who’s had a New Adventures In HiFi sized hole in their collection can now plug it, if they choose to do so. 

Agreed.  I would have bought this instantly if that cd disc of b-sides and rarities was part of the LP.   

On a personal note, this rerelease is taking me back to ten years ago when I stumbled onto a vendor at our local record fair selling nice OPs of New Adventures in Hi-Fi and Electro-Shock Blues for $25 and $15, respectively and snagged them both. Probably the best deal I ever got, and yet it’s also convinced me to return to the record fair on a fairly regular basis (because you never know) with extremely diminishing returns. 

I miss the era of buying records 15+ years ago where deals like that were easy to find. I remember finding OPs of STP Purple, Matthew Sweet 100% fun, Liz Phair Whipsmart and a few Pearl jam albums for $2-$ each. nobody really wanted that stuff after the turn of the century. CDs and mp3s were king.

My baby woke me up earlier than usual today so I was wide awake when the REM mail list got alerted before 7am PST. I bought the biggest bundle immediately. No regrets.

I collect their live/rarities bootlegs and I think the most recent ones are from their Out of Time era. It would have been cool if these reissues could have filled the gap with some bonus LPs of live shows and demos.

• 2 months later...