What is the bottleneck: Rega RP1 + Sonos Speakers + ??preamp??

Hi guys,

So i know this is not an ideal setup from an audiophile standpoint, but I've moved to a new house, I already have the sonos equipment and the Rega RP1, and it is what it is :)

I am assuming the Sonos speakers are my limiter in this setup (as far as sound quality goes) since it will be streaming to speakers over wifi, so I should be fine buying just a cheap preamp on amazon.  Is my assumption correct? or should i invest in a better preamp?

Turntable: 

• Rega RP1 (no built in preamp)

Speakers: 

• I already have a Sonos Arc soundbar for our living room tv + sub + play 5 speaker (has a line in)

Preamp: 

RegaRP1 ------[RCA to RCA]------>PylePreAmp------[RCA to LineInJack]------>SonosPlay5(has line in input)

once the audio is passing to the Play5 speaker via Line In, I can then group the audio to my other sonos speakers wirelessly (i.e. Sonos Arc Soundbar, Sub gen 3, etc)

Yep, that setup should give you music from the Sonos. Not sure if you're on a tight budget, but if you can swing it, I would strongly recommend putting money into a decent phono preamp.  I personally haven't heard the Pyle, but for $18 and based on several reviews, any critical ear would find the end result very flat and bland. If you don't care about fidelity as much, then go for it. It will give you music. But if you want a more lively, accurate playback, get a better preamp. The fact is cheaper preamps aren't as good at applying accurate equalization to that weak phono signal (boosting the level isn't the only thing preamps do). Cheaper preamps can also introduce unwanted noise to the signal.

I'd check out the Pro-Ject Phono Box E

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Phono-Box-Preamplifier-Black/dp/B01CZW87HS/ref=asc_df_B01CZW87HS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198101639455&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18313380206388615666&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032854&hvtargid=pla-383796770793&psc=1

Better yet, the Schiit Mani

https://www.schiit.com/products/mani

17 hours ago, hoytis said:

Yep, that setup should give you music from the Sonos. Not sure if you're on a tight budget, but if you can swing it, I would strongly recommend putting money into a decent phono preamp.  I personally haven't heard the Pyle, but for $18 and based on several reviews, any critical ear would find the end result very flat and bland. If you don't care about fidelity as much, then go for it. It will give you music. But if you want a more lively, accurate playback, get a better preamp. The fact is cheaper preamps aren't as good at applying accurate equalization to that weak phono signal (boosting the level isn't the only thing preamps do). Cheaper preamps can also introduce unwanted noise to the signal.

I'd check out the Pro-Ject Phono Box E

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Phono-Box-Preamplifier-Black/dp/B01CZW87HS/ref=asc_df_B01CZW87HS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198101639455&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18313380206388615666&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032854&hvtargid=pla-383796770793&psc=1

Better yet, the Schiit Mani

https://www.schiit.com/products/mani

not on a tight budget, I just didn't know if a better pre amp would make a difference if I'm streaming the audio wirelessly to the sonos speakers? 

My assumption was that the wireless streaming would be the limiter, thus cancelling out any improvement i'd expect from a "better" preamp?  Am I perhaps overestimating the sound quality loss from wireless streaming to sonos speakers?

Edited by drummerboy032

On 8/26/2021 at 1:55 PM, hoytis said:

Wifi doesn't compress music (different than Bluetooth tech).  So whatever analog signal you feed that Sonos speaker, it will faithfully reproduce it digitally up to CD quality. Keep the signal as clean and strong as you can, your ears will thank you.

ok great! then in that case, i think I will spring for a decent pre amp!!