PO Now: Blake Schwarzenbach b/w Joyce Manor 7" as part of a comic book series published by Image Comics called "What's The Furthest Place From Here?" by Matthew Rosenberg and Tyler Boss (every month starting from 10.11.21)

Was JUST wondering about this. Dealing with my local comic book shop has been just short of a nightmare and I have zero confidence in them actually getting the damn thing in and then letting me know it's arrived.
I also ordered a copy from midtown due to lack of confidence, so we'll see if that works out as well

• 2 weeks later...

Called my local shop who I'm working with to get these through previewsworld. As usual, vague answers and mostly a bit of shoulder shrugging. They said I should hopefully hear from them Mid December.

I scoured the interwebs to see if anything else has been posted and didn't find much except this comic has like 20 different covers and I'm so glad I don't collect comics, even though seeing them all makes me want to collect them now, damnit. I'm going to call my actual local shop today or maybe go in and ask how I can support them instead of this joker one through previewsworld.

22 minutes ago, geezfools said:

Called my local shop who I'm working with to get these through previewsworld. As usual, vague answers and mostly a bit of shoulder shrugging. They said I should hopefully hear from them Mid December.

I scoured the interwebs to see if anything else has been posted and didn't find much except this comic has like 20 different covers and I'm so glad I don't collect comics, even though seeing them all makes me want to collect them now, damnit. I'm going to call my actual local shop today or maybe go in and ask how I can support them instead of this joker one through previewsworld.

previewsworld = Diamond = the distributor for Image, so every shop will go through them no matter what

15 minutes ago, serotonein said:

previewsworld = Diamond = the distributor for Image, so every shop will go through them no matter what

Okay, that's a little reassuring I guess, thank you for sharing. (obvious newb, heh) Guess we'll see if it works out or not, though still planning to find a shop closer to me.

Yeah I can almost guarantee if you aren't already on the list to get this at your local shop its too late.  First pressings were way under pressed.  The second pressing is also sold out from what I understand.  Issue 2 first pressings are sold out and allocated as well, you may be able to find second pressings of issue if you talk to your LCS ASAP.

Yea my shop is barely getting any, they're fighting to make sure they have enough for the 3 of us pull-list customers who wanted one. Apparently going forward most stores will only get 1 copy of the 7" version and be stuck waiting for a future pressing to get more in. I was told that Image just made it an open order instead of having a set number of copies, thus they can't meet demand and have screwed themselves for the foreseeable future.

Hi there! If you're reading this you placed a preorder for the deluxe edition of What's the Furthest Place From Here #1 that comes with the 7" vinyl record.

Thank you so much for preordering! That extra step on your part is exactly what stores, publishers and creators all hope to get from readers. It ensures that everyone involved knows how many copies to print, how many copies to order and who exactly wants one.

Unfortunately, this system has failed utterly this time round. Due to long production delays on pressing vinyl, the print run for the 7" records was placed long before the comic was advertised in a catalogue. The creators of What's the Furthest Place From Here (Rosenberg and Boss) and the publisher (Image Comics) seem to have massively underestimated demand for the deluxe edition. As a result, stores are not getting anywhere close to their orders on this issue.

According to our distributor, we have been allocated just 10% of our order on the deluxe edition of What's the Furthest Place From Here #1. That means we should not expect more than a tenth of our order to actually arrive. As of this writing, we have not received any copies whatsoever, so it could be that we're not even getting that 10%.

This is a rare occurrence and we offer our sincere apologies. This is not the way the preorder system is supposed to work. Not even close. At the moment, we have no copies of the 7" vinyl. If our 10% allocation does arrive, we will comb our inbox to determine the earliest preorders chronologically. The copies we do receive (if any) will go to the earliest received preorders.

On the bright side, Rosenberg and Boss have confirmed that they are going back to press for another batch of #1 deluxe edition with the 7" record included. However, it's unknown just how long that will take to arrive. If you'd like to be on the list for those 2nd printings, please let us know.

If you've preordered the whole run of What's the Furthest Place From Here deluxe editions and are now unsure of your interest in later issues without a copy of the deluxe edition of #1, please get in touch to let us know that you'd like to change your order.

We do have plenty of copies of the regular edition and we'd be happy to set one or more aside for you regardless of whether you're also getting the deluxe edition.

Thank you very much for preordering and once again, we apologize for the system failing so miserably.

Statement from my LCS (Local Comics Store/Shop) FWIW.

I asked to be in queue for the 2nd printing + 7" of Issue #1.

The comic book itself has been getting good reviews, btw.

Anyway, I hope they compile all the 7"s into an LP down the road, maybe once the trade edition is collected, for everyone who missed out. Would be cool if they did something similar to this, which had an OGN by Jeff Lemire (The Sweet Tooth guy) packaged as a storybook with the LP: https://www.discogs.com/release/9079543-Gord-Downie-Secret-Path

If you like the comic I would recommend 4 Kids Walk Into a Bank, by some of the creators as this book.  It's like a Wes Anderson movie about kids robbing a bank.  Fun stuff.

If you want more comics with records then check these out:

Mind MGMT by Matt Kindt.  He kickstarted a special issue thats made like an old read along comic book:

https://www.discogs.com/release/13873748-Matt-Kindt-with-Clint-McElroy-Mind-MGMT-Team-Building

The Humans is a fun greaser monkey motorcycle gang comic and the creator got some of his friends to make a soundtrack for it:

https://www.discogs.com/release/6089824-Zig-Zags-Smelly-Tongues-Humans-March-Lets-Die-Live-To-Ride

https://www.discogs.com/release/6946980-Boss-Kong-The-Humans-Soundtrack-Volume-II-Ride-To-Die-Viet-Kong

https://www.discogs.com/release/9752873-Various-The-Humans-Cassette-Soundtrack

Small update from Rosenberg's newsletter :

Lots of folks have rightly been asking where the deluxe editions of WHAT’S THE FURTHEST PLACE FROM HERE? #1 are. They are on their way to comic shops as we speak in fact. They will be on shelves in 2 weeks at comic shops all over the planet. They are pretty limited edition, so they might be tricky to get, but not impossible

• 2 weeks later...

I got an email from The Comic Bug.  They have copies (2 left) signed by members of Joyce Manor.  Its salty:  $140ish shipped.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/294623106456?hash=item4498e7d598:g:sBoAAOSwYIxhswLh

Proceeds are going to support The Trevor Project

Edited by Dub