Furnace Fest vinyl collaborations

We are excited to announce two Furnace Fest Exclusive vinyl pressings from The Darling Fire and Stretch Arm Strong! Both exclusives will only be available to Furnace Fest, so make sure you show up early to grab yours!
Each vinyl pressing will include an alternate cover that are hand numbered. The Darling Fire “Distortions” is limited to 150 copies and Stretch Arm Strong “Rituals of Life” is limited to 300 copes. They will be sold first come first served, limited to one per customer. Both variants will be available at the band merchandise tent AND the Iodine Recordings tent (which will be up throughout the weekend).
The Stretch Arm Strong edition will ALSO include the limited edition “Second Chances” zine with commentary on the album by: Shai Hulud, The Gaslight Anthem, Bane, Rise Against, Hatebreed, Stick to Your Guns, and many more. Designed and constructed by @unorginalvinyl
We are only two weeks away!
May be an image of text that says 'AF FURNACE FEST THE THE DARL ING FIRE E DISTORTIONS LTD/150 RITUALS OF RITAE LIFE LTD/300 IODINE'

Solid State/Unoriginal Vinyl have announced their exclusives this year.

Dead Poetic - "Four Wall Blackmail"

Life In Your Way - "Waking Giants"

Embodyment - "The Narrow Scope Of Things"

If anyone wants to help me out and pick these up for me I'd appreciate it! I LOVE Solid State Records and want to keep my catalog complete! Doesn't sound like these will be available afterwards (besides MAYBE leftovers).

Edited by No This Is Patrick

11 minutes ago, rcafilm said:

Can someone explain to me what's the point of going to all the trouble to press these records and make a nice package and inserts and whatnot, only sell them exclusively physically in one location once ever? This is taking the rarity aspect of vinyl way too far.

Definitely agree. The pressing plates are already made. Clearly there is a market. Not sure why solid state doesn’t want the money? Yea it’s cool to have an exclusive item from a festival, but to lock out anyone else is obnoxious. Hoping it’s just lip service and they will press more but don’t want to confirm it ahead of time.

16 minutes ago, rcafilm said:

Can someone explain to me what's the point of going to all the trouble to press these records and make a nice package and inserts and whatnot, only sell them exclusively physically in one location once ever? This is taking the rarity aspect of vinyl way too far.

between Unoriginal making their Furnace Fest entirely exclusive pressings instead of just exclusive variants and today's Underoath NFT/vinyl monstrosity, it seems like they're really leaning into the scarcity/hype/bespoke aspect of vinyl releases. i know it's not entirely their fault with how stingy Capitol is with licensing, but it's kind of a bummer that this is the way they've pivoted...

been thinking this for a while and this has me feeling it even more so: maybe vinyl isn't a bubble that bursts but a hobby that just morphs into something very expensive and frustrating at the point of sale lol.

Edited by copelandkid

45 minutes ago, rcafilm said:

Q: “We have a real life, serious financial / adulting responsibilities that keep us from attending an event like this, but still really want to own those records. Why are you being so exclusionary and unfair to people like us?”
A: We understand how you feel. Promoting the idea of “seeing the artists and this vinyl community meeting up in person” is at the heart of this ambition. Having exclusively-offered items at gatherings such as ComicCon or major sporting events is common practice in collector’s circles that exist outside of the vinyl world. 
Giving a “forever-memorable, rewarding experience” in the form of a physical keepsake to those folks who take the risk and pay to see the artists (who literally cannot continue without our in-person support), is a way to make a unique and thoughtful contribution towards the continuation of our scene. If you feel slighted or unfairly-excluded by this decision, it may be an opportunity to reach in & contribute to this community (rather than maligning it) or network with new friends who can help you get ahold of the record. The hope is, that they would also see the value in assisting a perfect stranger who took a risk in “directly asking for the help.” You are being given a heads up this year so that you can plan accordingly. For complicated licensing reasons that didn’t affect last year’s drops, there are currently no plans to repress these albums outside of this drop.

I'd understand if these albums had "Fest Edition" variants but yeah to shut everyone out and say this is it; sucks. I really hope there'll be leftovers but I doubt it. 

That Embodyment album was the first Solid State album I ever purchased on cd in '01. The other two I listened to a lot when they both came out. Would love to own all 3 on wax!

3 hours ago, No This Is Patrick said:

Q: “We have a real life, serious financial / adulting responsibilities that keep us from attending an event like this, but still really want to own those records. Why are you being so exclusionary and unfair to people like us?”
A: We understand how you feel. Promoting the idea of “seeing the artists and this vinyl community meeting up in person” is at the heart of this ambition. Having exclusively-offered items at gatherings such as ComicCon or major sporting events is common practice in collector’s circles that exist outside of the vinyl world. 
Giving a “forever-memorable, rewarding experience” in the form of a physical keepsake to those folks who take the risk and pay to see the artists (who literally cannot continue without our in-person support), is a way to make a unique and thoughtful contribution towards the continuation of our scene. If you feel slighted or unfairly-excluded by this decision, it may be an opportunity to reach in & contribute to this community (rather than maligning it) or network with new friends who can help you get ahold of the record. The hope is, that they would also see the value in assisting a perfect stranger who took a risk in “directly asking for the help.” You are being given a heads up this year so that you can plan accordingly. For complicated licensing reasons that didn’t affect last year’s drops, there are currently no plans to repress these albums outside of this drop.

I did see that in my email not long after I posted. The only thing I halfway buy from it is "complicated licensing reasons", but if that's the case then they should really just lead with that ("hey guys, sorry, we were only allowed to press X many and decided the best way to do this was FF") instead of some weird sidetrack about how people who buy vinyl online apparently don't support musicians (...?) and an accusation that anyone who doesn't understand why a release would be eternally limited to one festival doesn't want other people to have nice things. I generally like what I see of the UOV guys and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because they probably get a lot of rude correspondence, but that answer rubbed me the wrong way.

The only thing I buy the licensing rights on is blindside. The rest is on solid state so there’s no reason why they wouldn’t do different variants a month or two later like they did last year 

And that reply really rubs me the wrong way. For a company so deeply rooted in Christianity without outwardly saying it is basically telling you to go fuck yourself for not being able to to come to the festival and to have a better social network

18 minutes ago, fartsandwich said:

The only thing I buy the licensing rights on is blindside. The rest is on solid state so there’s no reason why they wouldn’t do different variants a month or two later like they did last year 

And that reply really rubs me the wrong way. For a company so deeply rooted in Christianity without outwardly saying it is basically telling you to go fuck yourself for not being able to to come to the festival and to have a better social network

We're also talking about some PVC with grooves on it. They aren't preventing you from accessing clean drinking water or some shit...

11 hours ago, fartsandwich said:

I'd have to look into each individual release but during the recession of 2008-[whenever you consider it ended] it's my understanding Tooth & Nail/Solid State sold the rights to many of their releases. That was a big factor in why the Underoath represses took so long when the demand was there for years. I would assume this could be related to not pressing more.

4 hours ago, N8TRU said:

I'd have to look into each individual release but during the recession of 2008-[whenever you consider it ended] it's my understanding Tooth & Nail/Solid State sold the rights to many of their releases. That was a big factor in why the Underoath represses took so long when the demand was there for years. I would assume this could be related to not pressing more.

He apparently sold anything pre 2013 to Capitol’s Christian music division which let him go back to being independent moving forward. 

I’m still calling a lot of bullshit around this not being a bigger release later

I’ll be at FF thankfully, so I am happy to help people out. I am going to try to buy Embodyment and Blindside for myself, but I am not interested in the other two. I’m happy to try to pick up the Obi strips though and pass them on. Maybe I’ll just do a random drawing for whoever is interested? Any other ideas so that I can give everyone a fair chance?