PO Now: Ladytron - 604 (20th Anniversary 2LP 45rpm RT exclusive) (10/22) (/1000)

Ladytron-Packshot_-_Garrett_Karrberg.jpg

20th Anniversary Limited Edition double LP coloured vinyl re-pressing of Ladytron's impressive debut album, 604, originally issued in 2001. 16 tracks including 'Discotraxx', 'The Way That I Found You', 'Commodore Rock' and more.

On 604, Ladytron prove how apt their name is: their sound mixes evocative vintage synths and plaintive female vocals as it references over two decades' worth of electronica, new wave, and rock (including Roxy Music, whose "Ladytron" is the group's namesake). Like The Commodore Rock EP, 604 balances Ladytron's experimental and pop sides. "Mu-Tron" and "Zmekya" reinterpret Add N To (X)'s noisy, dystopian soundscapes, and the shimmering "CSKA Sofia" sounds like Kraftwerk filtered through Broadcast. However, it's the tightly structured pop songs that set Ladytron apart. Helena Marnie is Ladytron's lovelorn heart and soul, a heartbroken disco diva singing through her tears on "Another Breakfast With You" and "Discotraxx" and a sadder but wiser confidante on "Playgirl." Meanwhile, Mira Aroya's deadpan singing and Bulgarian accent add a touch of Ninotchka-style wit and irony to "Paco!" which parodies a department store's fake cheeriness, and "I'm With The Pilots," a piece of Weimar Republic-era cabaret brought into the 21st century. Marnie and Aroya's vocals blend perfectly on songs like the brooding, witty single "He Took Her To a Movie," but Ladytron's mix of retro songwriting and modern themes is their most interesting, and distinctive, aspect. 604 is an exciting debut from a group capable of making overused influences sound fresh again.

IMO there needs to be a big ol' box set of this some day, with b-sides, a live concert and demos (and for their other albums too). But this will do for now.

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/ladytron/604-45cba0e3-0992-474f-8657-affdf050a3d8

Edited by OneThreeOneTwo

• OneThreeOneTwo changed the title to PO Now: Ladytron - 604 (20th Anniversary 2LP 45rpm RT exclusive) (10/22) (/1000)

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, craigeduk said:

Received the reissue this morning. Rare occasion at the moment where instead of a delay they have bought the release date forward & I still got it early!

Just Velocifero needed to complete the Ladytron set now

Yeah the RT notification email was really funny because the pre-scripted message was all apologetic (since I'm sure 99.999% of the time those are sent out regarding delays), and then the actual release date got pushed up a week. I thought RT were being cheeky for a good minute.