Mastodon ‘Hushed And Grim’ | out October 29th | Reprise / Warner

fizio59

• 1 month later...
  • fizio59 changed the title to PO NOW: Mastodon ‘Hushed And Grim’ | out October 29th | Reprise/Warner

59 minutes ago, morfiend said:

This is their best work since CTS, awesome album. I just ordered the clear vinyl, anyone pick it up yesterday? How does it sound?

I liked it. It was a lot better as a whole body compared to just a couple of tracks for prerelease. I still don’t know if it something I’ll listen to regularly or if it’s better than Emperor of Sand. 

• fizio59 changed the title to Mastodon ‘Hushed And Grim’ | out October 29th | Reprise / Warner
2 minutes ago, morfiend said:

Received the clear indie variant in the mail yesterday. Besides the shitty inner sleeves (poly and paper? wtf?) the vinyl sound great. I may upgrade to the deluxe eventually since I really like this album a lot.

I like the album. It is very good in some parts. Unfortunately for me nothing has stood out, yet. For instance I can’t tell you which songs have the parts I find very good. I think the blame lies with the production. The whole album sounds so samey. I’m still considering picking it on vinyl though as I have been going back to it a lot this week.

15 minutes ago, kannibal said:

I like the album. It is very good in some parts. Unfortunately for me nothing has stood out, yet. For instance I can’t tell you which songs have the parts I find very good. I think the blame lies with the production. The whole album sounds so samey. I’m still considering picking it on vinyl though as I have been going back to it a lot this week.

I agree that the production could be better, it sounds a little flat to my ears, not enough to really bug me though. I like the whole album, which surprises me since it's nearly 90 minutes but I don't skip any tracks. I don't know if any of the songs are "classics" just yet but I keep coming back for more listens, which I hadn't done very often with the previous 3 albums.

5 hours ago, morfiend said:

Received the clear indie variant in the mail yesterday. Besides the shitty inner sleeves (poly and paper? wtf?) the vinyl sound great. I may upgrade to the deluxe eventually since I really like this album a lot.

Are your poly inners cut really poorly so they don't fit in the paper at all? This seems like a real hack job. But at least they sound good. 

I was really excited to hear this record after all the good reviews.  I was a bit bummed after my first listen because nothing was memorable and I haven’t wanted to go back again because of other recent releases that did catch my attention (ETID, Borrocho, etc).  I’ll try to add it into the rotation again and see if it’s a grower.

• 2 months later...

I just got my copy of H&G with the numbered Paul Romano wrap from Revolver and it looks really fucking good in person, especially the silver ink. Glad I went for it. It's still available if anyone's on the fence: https://shop.revolvermag.com/products/mastodon-hushed-and-grim-2lp?_pos=16&_sid=efec4f250&_ss=r