PO: Emma Ruth Rundle - Engine of Hell (11/5/2021)

zaoza

Just now, jhulud said:

NICE!!!!

And just want to say that my life could use another Marriages album. 

Yes dude, I caught a Marriages and Russian Circles show in like 2013 where Dave from RC played drums for both bands, it was so cool and a great show. I regularly wear my Marriages tee. 

1 hour ago, zaoza said:

Yup, what Drew said. Already available on my part of the world. A music video in the morning US time (not sure which zone) according to Sargent House. Along with PO surely.

One of the few benefits to living in this part of the world when it comes to music and vinyl...

• zaoza changed the title to PO: Emma Ruth Rundle - Engine of Hell (11/5/2021)

I'm going to need to listen to this single a few more times. Listened once and did not really get a good vibe from it. Honestly, it felt a bit structurally messy for being just piano and voice which is an odd gripe for me to have because I generally appreciate non-traditional song structures. I'm open minded to what is happening here but it did not grab me immediately. I think the completely non-ambient deadened vocal mic  production technique did not do the overall track any favors but that's just personal preference. Honestly, I'm concerned the entire album is going to be just piano and voice. If that is the case, I really hope it makes good use of that minimalism.

I still haven't fully digested or bought On Dark Horses.

Edited by mcpherson123

On 9/8/2021 at 4:38 PM, alwaysopenmouth said:

Yes dude, I caught a Marriages and Russian Circles show in like 2013 where Dave from RC played drums for both bands, it was so cool and a great show. I regularly wear my Marriages tee. 

I caught that tour as well. It was actually my first encounter with Emma. What a rabbit hole its been. 

14 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

I'm going to need to listen to this single a few more times. Listened once and did not really get a good vibe from it. Honestly, it felt a bit structurally messy for being just piano and voice which is an odd gripe for me to have because I generally appreciate non-traditional song structures. I'm open minded to what is happening here but it did not grab me immediately. I think the completely non-ambient deadened vocal mic  production technique did not do the overall track any favors but that's just personal preference. Honestly, I'm concerned the entire album is going to be just piano and voice. If that is the case, I really hope it makes good use of that minimalism.

I still haven't fully digested or bought On Dark Horses.

Emma said the album is very raw, instrumentally speaking. Just piano, guitar and voice. Her structures are getting more and more complex, On Dark Horses is a very good example of that. It's an amazing album but not the easiest, at all. Very rewarding once you get used to it.

On 9/8/2021 at 4:38 PM, alwaysopenmouth said:

Hot summer day August 2012 for me. Chelsea Wolfe was the opener, stoned, drunk and stage fright, all veiled up. Who'd have thunk she'd blow up. Marriages were great - have seen Greg posting on IG with his gear recently - and probably my favorite Russian Circles tour (Empros) when they first changed from Carpe to 309 as the opener.