Nirvana - Nevermind 30th anniversary 8LP +7” box set (4 full shows over 7LPs)

16 minutes ago, kannibal said:

Hope you like live material. 7 live LPs and a 7” with too much music on it. I’m sure the book is cool, but damn what a money grab. Nothing new studio/demo officially released, or even comprehensive collection of all odds and ends from the era. 

No thank you

I mean, idk what else is out there after the Kurt demos record and Sliver. 

I don’t think a box set of shows is a terrible idea, it just has a very limited fan base. 

49 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

I mean, idk what else is out there after the Kurt demos record and Sliver. 

I don’t think a box set of shows is a terrible idea, it just has a very limited fan base. 

Right. It’s not terrible. Just a lot of live stuff from the same era. 

Has the full early album recording sessions ever been released in good quality? Like the full session from the in bloom subpop video? I’m not as up Nirvana stuff as used to be. I do remember that the SQ on that subpop video was pretty rough. What about the full Vig mixes, before Andy Wallace? 

Devonshire mixes (Vig's mix) were on the 20th anniversary box set (along with the boombox demos and some BBC stuff and a live show). Those have never been pressed. Boom box demos were on the 4LP version of the 20th anniversary set. BBC stuff is on that set and the live show had a standalone pressing.

The Spring 1990 attempt at Nevermind (thats where the SP In Bloom is from, correct?) has never been released.

Edited by timsimmons

1 hour ago, kannibal said:

Hope you like live material. 7 live LPs and a 7” with too much music on it. I’m sure the book is cool, but damn what a money grab. Nothing new studio/demo officially released, or even comprehensive collection of all odds and ends from the era. 

Agree, this is disappointing. The better idea would have been to include the Hormoaning EP and reduce the live material considerably. Not sure the Pallas press can be bested with a remaster either.

Edited by spaceghost

1 hour ago, unknown pleasures said:

Still can’t believe how much material gets milked out of Nirvana, Sex Pistols and Joy Division when they were each around for so short a time.

Feel like there’s more box sets around for these bands than the Stones…

Now that's an exaggeration. The Stones milk more money from their fans than anyone.

2 hours ago, kannibal said:

Good thought. Is this going to be yet another new remaster/recut? 

Looks like it, "LP 1 - Nevermind (Original Album Remastered)" although I've wondered lately if it's even true for all these reissues. I can see some marketing person be all, "Pfff, just say it's remastered who gives a shit." 

Also, I forgot they included all the Hormoaning and Smart Sessions tracks with the 25th Anni (which ALSO said newly remastered!) so they're targeting repeat buyers here for sure. I just have that sweet Pallas, so I'm good.  

12 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

They really need to figure out what they think they're doing with that 7" material. That is way too much music for that format.

Yeah. And then why leave out Curmudgeon? At what point does it not become just another rehashing, when you leave one song off of a complete set of b-side studio material?  Then it’s something new?

I’ll never understand the music industry and maybe that a good thing.

4 minutes ago, kannibal said:

Yeah. And then why leave out Curmudgeon? At what point does it not become just another rehashing, when you leave one song off of a complete set of b-side studio material?  Then it’s something new?

I think part of it is a disconnect with the people actually buying and listening to the records. I'm sure bigger labels think they know what "we" want, but it's weird how often they miss the mark, even with seemingly small details like that. 

2 hours ago, kannibal said:

Gotta save something for the 35th anniversary pressing.