PO - Idles - Crawler

CeCeCe

Yeah they've been on a roll.  Enjoy this art, already, more than Ultra Mono.  Sitting tight on variant announcements and options, too, but so far that deluxe seems like it's 100% worth springing for over the "eco" vinyl, single LP.  I get that bands and labels have their back against the wall with production wait times, but going that eco route is such a shame.  Not only do they turn out like a grey-purple mess, but the few I used to own – a decade ago – all sounded pretty bad.  From what I've read, they have not improved over the years either.

4 minutes ago, Sad Heart said:

Think they messed up the price for the deluxe on BV. Only $26 on there. 
https://shop.brooklynvegan.com/products/idles-crawler-deluxe-2lp?_pos=1&_sid=61881edf6&_ss=r

If you sign up you can get 10% off too, so it comes out to less that $24 before shipping

Thought the track was super disappointing. This feels like a track 8 on an LP, not a lead single. Ultra Mono was a step in the wrong direction for me; this seems to be a continuation of that. The first two albums are fantastic though, so I'll keep an eye on this and give it a fair shake as more singles drop.

UM is a blast.  They’ve really done no wrong so far.  New single sounds like progression to me – between NFAMWAP and Mr. Motivator, I’m stoked to hear a new single that’s something more than the tried and true formula of verses = “name drop celebrities in amusing scenarios” + chorus = big sing-along hook.

11 minutes ago, MichaelMush said:

Well hoping that this album would be as good as the last two would imply that the first album wasn't as good.

I was just saying the post said 3 albums in 4 years. Wasn't talking about Brutalism at all and just looked like they enjoy what they've heard. 

Oops late post yep seems to be the case. If they said 4 albums in the last 5 years and only mentioned two being good I'd see where you were coming from.

• 1 month later...

Gotta' be their most artistic endeavor yet.  Easily more mature than anything they've done to date – I'm so glad they've veered away from becoming too predictable.  There are some undeniably nutty moments on this record but as a whole I think it lurches and burns slower than the riffy, urgent nature of Ultra Mono.  I think they've been toying with this sound for a bit now, but this is the first time they're seeing it through on a full album scale.  I don't think the album will be as immediately catchy or gratifying as the last couple, but I can already feel it as a grower for me.

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Gotta' be their most artistic endeavor yet.  Easily more mature than anything they've done to date – I'm so glad they've veered away from becoming too predictable.  There are some undeniably nutty moments on this record but as a whole I think it lurches and burns slower than the riffy, urgent nature of Ultra Mono.  I think they've been toying with this sound for a bit now, but this is the first time they're seeing it through on a full album scale.  I don't think the album will be as immediately catchy or gratifying as the last couple, but I can already feel it as a grower for me.

Man, sounds like I'm gonna be disappointed by this one. The two singles didn't do much for me.

1 minute ago, TheWindBlower said:

Man, sounds like I'm gonna be disappointed by this one. The two singles didn't do much for me.

There are some crazier tracks – or at least moments of tracks – but yeah, I would say the 2 singles do a great job at hinting the direction they've gone without giving too much away.  They even dabble in distorted electronics [without it feeling too terribly forced or phoned in] and I think it works... but it won't be for everyone, that's for sure.  I'm personally into the expansion of their sound because it's gonna' give their first 3 albums a lot more "bite" when I'm itching for their more chompy, riff-loaded sound.

Gave it a first listen now. Was a bit disappointed by Ultra Mono and the two singles didn't set the expectations to high. But what the hell - the album is a banger!!! That new style is great and it works perfect on album length. Even the two singles fit 100% into this. 

And..... this is an album, that will grow further, because it has so many details....

Edited by Streiti