COMING SOON: Gospel - “The Loser”

Limited information but I’m personally so pumped that I wanted to make this thread. 

For now, no information or anything just a new killer Gospel tune called SRO from an upcoming 11 song LP called “The Loser”.

Love this band and if this tune is any indication they still have the magic 15 years later. 

Will update more as it is learned!

Edited by thetrackt

1 hour ago, daniele said:

Don't know,...I have to listen to it more...On the first impression this song sounds a way more proggy than hc/screamo......

Personally, I love it. I think if you're surprised that this leans into prog this much then you may want to peep Tango and Dark Matter if you haven't heard those. I'm pretty sure they are just demos but they were always headed in that prog direction after The Moon is a Dead World. To be fair, even that whole LP had some serious prog leanings, too. 

But for me, I think the gospel 'sound' is still there after 16 years. Strange and screamy vocals, synth odysseys,  12 string guitar licks, Vinny's unfucking real drumming and this weird mood that underscores the whole thing. This has been my most anticipated release in forever and the fact that it is happening is blowing my mind. 

I was thinking while walking around the block today that no one sounds like this band at all - it's such an amazing combo and after hearing the first tune I'm 100% confident that this LP (2xLP?) is going to be a barnburner.  

On 10/2/2021 at 7:17 PM, prowl20 said:

Hoping they did a proper recording of that 23 minute song The Magic Volume Of Dark Matter

Had Vinny on the podcast I cohost. He confirmed they do have a studio recording of magic volume, but it will not be on this full length. They are planning on releasing that separately. At least that was what he told us when we spoke to him earlier this year. I guess it couldve changed? We spoke to Matt Messina (who was in Helen of Troy with the Gospel guys and is still tight with them all) at the end of August and he also confirmed that magic volume will be released separate to the new LP. But like I said, things can change? I just know Vinny was pretty straight that they view that as its own thing, and the new LP stuff is different and its own thing. If that makes sense haha

7 hours ago, buddha4281 said:

Had Vinny on the podcast I cohost. He confirmed they do have a studio recording of magic volume, but it will not be on this full length. They are planning on releasing that separately. At least that was what he told us when we spoke to him earlier this year. I guess it couldve changed? We spoke to Matt Messina (who was in Helen of Troy with the Gospel guys and is still tight with them all) at the end of August and he also confirmed that magic volume will be released separate to the new LP. But like I said, things can change? I just know Vinny was pretty straight that they view that as its own thing, and the new LP stuff is different and its own thing. If that makes sense haha

Holy shit! That’s still awesome to hear they actually recorded it! I’m super curious who (if anyone other than the band) will be releasing the new full length. My bets are either on Translation Loss or Relapse. 

11 hours ago, buddha4281 said:

Nice! Which podcast is it? Would love to check it out. 

13 hours ago, thetrackt said:

Nice! Which podcast is it? Would love to check it out. 

It's called Ron And Matt Must Listen

Here's the link to where you can listen. 

Vinny from Gospel is on Episode 18. We talk about a album he picked but there's a dece amount of Gospel talk in there too obvs. 

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, prowl20 said:

Stoked as hell because it's going to be a double LP and one of the songs is that 23 minute epic "The Magic Volume of Dark Matter"

Is that confirmed? I thought Vinny said Magic Volume was going to be released separately ... if not and it's on the album that's incredible 

16 hours ago, prowl20 said:

That's what a friend told me who claims he's heard the whole album. Unless there's another super long song and he got them mixed up.

Vinny (drummer of Gospel) just confirmed with me a couple mins ago that "The Magic Volume Of Dark Matter" is NOT on The Loser. Matt Messina who runs Sunken Temple Records (and played in the pre-Gospel band Helen Of Troy) will be releasing it as its own 12 jointly with another label. But without going back and listening to our interview with him, I do not know the name of that other label. So it's just another super long song thats gonna be on the LP which is awesome IMO. Glad I could help again with some band confirmed info.

Here's a link to a live version of magic volume to anyone who hasnt heard it...

Edited by buddha4281

1 hour ago, buddha4281 said:

releasing it as its own 12 jointly with another label. But without going back and listening to our interview with him, I do not know the name of that other

Good to know! Thanks! That long song they had available for charitable donations a few months ago WAS Magic Volume, right? It’s been a few months since I’ve given it a listen. It sounded sick though!