BOTCH sign to Sargent House: all catalog in streaming now, vinyl & more coming in 2022 / NOW: New Song and 'We Are The Romans' 2xLP Reissue

Can anybody tell me how good or bad are the most recent Botch represses? I'm very very skeptical of continuing buying stuff from Sargent House, last two albums I bought from them (ERR - Marked for Death repress and Engine of Hell) are super noisy (far far worse than what you can expect from most records).

45 minutes ago, ghosthardware said:

Can anybody tell me how good or bad are the most recent Botch represses? I'm very very skeptical of continuing buying stuff from Sargent House, last two albums I bought from them (ERR - Marked for Death repress and Engine of Hell) are super noisy (far far worse than what you can expect from most records).

My copy of We Are The Romans sounds brilliant, and I have been having a lot of frustration revolving around a glut of poor vinyl pressings elsewhere recently (so I have been hyper-aware of when my records have surface noise/popping). I can confidently say that my copy (blue/black merge), at least, has no issues.

19 hours ago, ghosthardware said:

We are the Romans was cut in-house and pressed at GZ Media. You cannot expect a good, loud or even dynamic cut from them unfortunately. Sounds lifeless and compressed as most of their cuts. No issues with pressing flaws (e.g. non-fill or stitching) with my copy though.

22 minutes ago, Iggy_Pilot said:

It is widely known GZ Media tends to master and cut for the lowest common denominator to avoid playback issues on cheap turntables. So their cuts do not present the material to its full extent.

Nah.  Pretty common misconception among hobby newbies and pandemic collectors.  All plants have varying quality, good and bad.  VMP have been using GZ almost exclusively for their ROTMs – for several months now – and they are absolutely killing it.  I’ve heard that the latest Frank Ocean Blonde repress was pressed at GZ, too, and sounds phenomenal.  “GZ = bad” is a pretty dated meme that doesn’t hold much water these days.  They just press a way bigger volume of records, which results in a bigger volume of notably bad (and notably good) records compared to other labels.

6 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Nah.  Pretty common misconception among hobby newbies and pandemic collectors.  All plants have varying quality, good and bad.  VMP have been using GZ almost exclusively for their ROTMs – for several months now – and they are absolutely killing it.  I’ve heard that the latest Frank Ocean Blonde repress was pressed at GZ, too, and sounds phenomenal.  “GZ = bad” is a pretty dated meme that doesn’t hold much water these days.  They just press a way bigger volume of records, which results in a bigger volume of notably bad (and notably good) records compared to other labels.

You seem to be talking about pressing quality. GZ Media has improved on that a lot over the last 4-5 years. They can press good records. See Tool - Fear Inoculum.

I was discussing their in-house cuts though. Without any instructions by the label (like VMP) the cuts are made to avoid claims. Tool - Fear Inoculum was not cut by them by the way.

1 hour ago, Bronchitis said:

Another random question - does anyone know if Showbox allows re-entry? I plan on buying both of the prints they are going to have tonight and would like to throw ‘em in my rental instead of carrying them around.

You should be good. I've never been to a show there where they didn't allow it.

I'd ask at the door to be safe. You might need to get a stamp/wristband from the bar or something.

Edited by mitchard

Two amazing nights, loved every minute of it. They sounded super tight and the venue and audience were great as well. I kinda wish they had played Rob Lobster and one or two older songs, but as it was the set list was extremely tight and had a great flow. As a kid I usually just saw them play shorter sets in front of 50 people or less and it's cool to see how much they've grown as musicians even though they haven't been a band in such a long time. It's a totally different experience.

1 hour ago, mitchard said:

Saturday's show was just as good as I expected it to be.

So glad I was able to make it to two of these shows. Definitely needed more than one set to fully absorb what I was witnessing. 

The Saturday show was awesome.  I saw their last show at the same place 20 years ago and I'd say their energy and stage presence was just as good now as it was then.  They were even tighter though now (which I guess comes along with some of them continuing to play in other bands consistently throughout the years).  I seem to remember at the last show an alarming lack of stage dives (I think the security there was tighter back then).  People were getting WILD at the Saturday show.  Very stoked indeed.  Heck, I even went to the show with the same two people that went with me in 2002.

50 minutes ago, hexrecords said:

The Saturday show was awesome.  I saw their last show at the same place 20 years ago and I'd say their energy and stage presence was just as good now as it was then.  They were even tighter though now (which I guess comes along with some of them continuing to play in other bands consistently throughout the years).  I seem to remember at the last show an alarming lack of stage dives (I think the security there was tighter back then).  People were getting WILD at the Saturday show.  Very stoked indeed.  Heck, I even went to the show with the same two people that went with me in 2002.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that there wasn't a barrier. I don't believe I've been to a show at the Showbox Market that didn't have one in 15+ years, at least. 

I almost came out of stage diving retirement during Japam. I had a straight line from the bar to the stairs on the side, but my achy old body told me the pit was a safer bet. 

Also, I need to mention how perfect Tim's drumming sounded.

I know the other guys have been pretty active since Botch broke up, but this dude hasn't been playing live music in the last 20 years to my knowledge. He didn't miss a beat, no pun intended.  

Edited by mitchard

7 hours ago, mitchard said:

Also, I need to mention how perfect Tim's drumming sounded.

I know the other guys have been pretty active since Botch broke up, but this dude hasn't been playing live music in the last 20 years to my knowledge. He didn't miss a beat, no pun intended.  

SERIOUSLY!  That dude was on point.  I thought he all but disappeared.  Crazy. 

As far as the venue, it's weird because I've been to a ton of shows in Seattle, but the only times I've ever been to Showbox was to see Botch.

59 minutes ago, mattycakes said:

That was my fist time seeing them at the Showbox. I've seen them at Sit & Spin, Graceland and the Firehouse in Redmond. I don't know if those venues are still around or not.

Friday was an amazing show. Looks like all 3 shows had the same setlist, neat!

Sit & Spin has been gone for almost 20 years I believe. Graceland is still around, but ownership has since changed, and it has been called El Corazón since 2005ish.  

The Firehouse should be celebrating it's 30th anniversary this year I think!

40 minutes ago, mitchard said:

Sit & Spin has been gone for almost 20 years I believe. Graceland is still around, but ownership has since changed, and it has been called El Corazón since 2005ish.  

The Firehouse should be celebrating it's 30th anniversary this year I think!

Ahh I did see the sign for the El Corazón while going down the freeway and thought that's where the Graceland used to be. The Firehouse is a cool venue as well, glad it's still around.

• 2 weeks later...