Po now: Greyhaven - This Bright and Beautiful World (04.15)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

JESUS CHRIST, this album rips so hard. Idk how, but I honestly thought they wouldn't be able to match Empty Black level, but hell I think they surpassed it. 

The back-to-back-to-back onslaught of "Fed to the Lights", "The Quiet Shakes" and "And It's Still Too Loud" is just an absolute epic ride. My only wish is that the closer was as epic as Echo and Dust, Pt. 2 was off Empty Black, especially after such a strong trio of tracks prior. 

PS: Isn't it the record label who gets final call as to the singles that are released? If so, Equal Vision needs to re-eval their marketing dept lol

Edited by ethanpricington

2 hours ago, ethanpricington said:

JESUS CHRIST, this album rips so hard. Idk how, but I honestly thought they wouldn't be able to match Empty Black level, but hell I think they surpassed it. 

The back-to-back-to-back onslaught of "Fed to the Lights", "The Quiet Shakes" and "And It's Still Too Loud" is just an absolute epic ride. My only wish is that the closer was as epic as Echo and Dust, Pt. 2 was off Empty Black, especially after such a strong trio of tracks prior. 

PS: Isn't it the record label who gets final call as to the singles that are released? If so, Equal Vision needs to re-eval their marketing dept lol

I was just thinking about this while re-listening to the album (which slams, so good!)

I know its a different label, but I wonder if @IanRees could give us some perspective, as a industry guy.

Do bands usually dictate what gets promoted as singles?  Do labels?
I imagine its probably a 'depends' type of thing based on however they sign their contract. 

Certainly seems like odd choices in this case anyways. 

I think the idea behind choosing all candy as the first single was the traditional radio single (probably never got any radio play though), "let's release the poppiest song first" path to sell it to a wider audience range than their already attached fanbase, however I don't think it's still working in 2022 anyway to sell records. It did the opposite effect and scared away everyone (including me) and made less hype around the record than it deserved. 

49 minutes ago, xfactor675 said:

I think the idea behind choosing all candy as the first single was the traditional radio single (probably never got any radio play though), "let's release the poppiest song first" path to sell it to a wider audience range than their already attached fanbase, however I don't think it's still working in 2022 anyway to sell records. It did the opposite effect and scared away everyone (including me) and made less hype around the record than it deserved. 

Exactly. 

If I remember correctly, "Echo and Dust Pt. 1" was the first single from Empty Black. It was my first taste of the band, and at the time perfectly demonstrated their style - dark melodies, energetic (at times chaotic) and full of great guitar work. I think Sweet Machine, a much more chaotic "heavier" track came next. 

Whereas this time, as you mentioned, for whatever reason, someone at Equal Vision thought it best to release "All Candy" which was essentially an equivalent of Empty Black's "White Lighters" as the first single instead of something more along the lines of "Echo and Dust Pt. 1" (possibly "Fed to the Lights" which would've been a freakin great first taste of TBBW)

There's this - maybe Equal Vision thought 'let's pick a new song as the single that has the same exact first note as the previous album's single'. 😅

Edited by ethanpricington

On 4/26/2022 at 1:23 PM, V3XED said:

I was just thinking about this while re-listening to the album (which slams, so good!)

I know its a different label, but I wonder if @IanRees could give us some perspective, as a industry guy.

Do bands usually dictate what gets promoted as singles?  Do labels?
I imagine its probably a 'depends' type of thing based on however they sign their contract. 

Certainly seems like odd choices in this case anyways. 

I can't speak to other labels but typically we will propose a rollout schedule with the bands and they always have final approval of what gets released. Most often they have at least a couple songs they like to focus on as singles but not all the time. In terms of our label artists always have final approval on anything that is released wither its singles, merch, vinyl colors etc.

22 minutes ago, IanRees said:

I can't speak to other labels but typically we will propose a rollout schedule with the bands and they always have final approval of what gets released. Most often they have at least a couple songs they like to focus on as singles but not all the time. In terms of our label artists always have final approval on anything that is released wither its singles, merch, vinyl colors etc.

Sounds like a good label right there 😎