Suggestions for best way to organize records

kc7700

Like most others have said, I have my metal and hardcore in alphabetical order by artist. Albums are just kinda flung in there in an attempt to be alphabetical, but I do quite like the chronological aspect of sorting by release date. 

I have a shelf for classical, a shelf for jazz, and boxes of random shit. 

Oh, there are also some random hip hop albums in with the metal and hardcore like Nas, ATCQ, Wu, Beastie Boys. 

pJeS4oJ.jpg

1 hour ago, phillybhatesme said:

Oh, there are also some random hip hop albums in with the metal and hardcore like Nas, ATCQ, Wu, Beastie Boys.

But...why? Those are such different genres, why wouldn't you just have a hip-hop/r&b section?

For OP (though I think this is a silly question to ask):

I sort by genre->alpha by artist->release date.

Genre divisions are:

Pop punk/emo

Metal/punk/hardcore

Modern - indie/pop/rock

Hip-hop/r&b

Funk/soul/blues

Country/bluegrass

Classic - rock/pop

Ambient/drone/soundtrack

Then I have separate sections for 10" and 7"

5 minutes ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

But...why? Those are such different genres, why wouldn't you just have a hip-hop/r&b section?

No clue really, except for maybe that they're new. All my classical and jazz has been from thrift stores and hand-me-downs. It makes sense to me lol. 

I guess I should have put it this way: The records I listen to most (90% metal and hardcore) are all stored under the amp and TT. Shelves contain the used jazz and classical. 

Edited by phillybhatesme

This one of those real ‘peek behind the curtain’ threads, and I’m here for it.

I think phillybhatesme is on the right track: organize by genre if it makes sense with your storage, but feel empowered to invent your own umbrella-categories based on how you listen. 

Folks above are discussing whether to lump punk & metal together, but maybe you think it’s insane to have a ‘jazz’ section because “how could you even put hard bop next to fire music?!?” or whatever. Just find an arrangement that’s true to what you love about the music.

7 minutes ago, phillybhatesme said:

One thing that...definitely drives me up the fucking wall with the spine, alphabetizing, etc. I have my A's on the right and Z on the left. 

Pic - https://i.imgur.com/F8aUwBH.png

If A is on the left...idk, it seems like the fucking covers are facing the wrong way. 

Wow, I had my doubts...but you really are a psychopath.