PO: Failure "Wild Type Droid"

INRIhab

22 minutes ago, Deathbyart said:

I somewhat agree but I rather have at least some of it going to support the band rather than a flipper asking $250 plus

Sure, or course. The other option is not to do either obviously, and hopefully that drives the price down rather than paying artificially inflated prices and encouraging it across the board for other releases.

Whatever you do is up to you, we can all only do our best in any endeavor, and that differs for everyone.

1 hour ago, thesecrets0308 said:

Thankful that I've already got good pressings of all their albums.  $50 for the FP 2LP ok... but $50 for Comfort and Magnified for a single disc?  yikes... that's a little steep for sure.

$50 is steep for any of these. I'm not sure when $50 2xLPs became acceptable to people, but I hate it.

Not even The Weeknd, who is notorious for high priced vinyl, has had the gall to cross that threshold yet, and just because this is a band people here like doesn't mean this is a good price. There is nothing extra here to differentiate this from other bands/labels putting out gatefold 2xLPs for $30.

20 minutes ago, 75 percent oof said:

$50 is steep for any of these. I'm not sure when $50 2xLPs became acceptable to people, but I hate it.

Are you not familiar with Fantastic Planet??

A universally loved record that wasn’t pressed until 14 years after it was released, has had only two pressings and is insanely rare to come by for cheaper than 4-5 times what they’re charging. A record that’s only gotten more popular in the 26 years since it’s release and will continue to.

You may bitch and moan about it, but not bad for what it is, if you ask me.

Its also Failure. 

51 minutes ago, sugareggs said:

I just need In The Future to be repressed, and the live FP album while you’re at it  just for the completist in me 

I remember the Pledge Music fiasco when In The Future was coming out when no one that ordered it got the record because Pledge Music went bankrupt.  And a bunch of people had a hell of time getting their money refunded. #Inthepresentyourmoneywillbethefurthestthingfromyourwallet

53 minutes ago, 75 percent oof said:

Not even The Weeknd, who is notorious for high priced vinyl, has had the gall to cross that threshold yet, and just because this is a band people here like doesn't mean this is a good price. There is nothing extra here to differentiate this from other bands/labels putting out gatefold 2xLPs for $30.

the quality of the pressing means everything and I'm not saying you pay for what you get either.  I've had plenty of pricey records sound not so great, but more often the ones that sound not so great are the cheaper ones.  But if i have a choice between a 2xLP pressing that sounds like dogshit for $30 and a 2xLP pressing of the same album that sounds fantastic for $50, i'm going to pay that $50 every time.  I've got several albums from the Analogue Productions label (some 45 rpm and some 33) and they're always top shelf as far as quality goes.  Those are more often than not MORE than $50 for a 2xLP.  i guess at the end of the day it all matters where the buyers' priorities are.

28 minutes ago, thesecrets0308 said:

I remember the Pledge Music fiasco when In The Future was coming out when no one that ordered it got the record because Pledge Music went bankrupt.  And a bunch of people had a hell of time getting their money refunded. #Inthepresentyourmoneywillbethefurthestthingfromyourwallet

I think it’s unfair to pin that on the band. They were just as much victims in that as everyone else. And judging by your hash tag you’re still upset about it and it did incredible damage to their reputation even though they were robbed of money along with everyone else. You make it sound like they took the money and ran off with it. 

50 is a little high for a 2x LP but isn't that bad but for the single discs that's just nuts. I know they had a hard time licensing the record from Warner Bros in the past and weren't getting the best deal to do it so that might be some of it. But for me 50 bucks straight to the people that made it is fine. 

1 minute ago, sugareggs said:

I think it’s unfair to pin that on the band. They were just as much victims in that as everyone else. And judging by your hash tag you’re still upset about it and it did incredible damage to their reputation even though they were robbed of money along with everyone else. You make it sound like they took the money and ran off with it. 

nah, you completely misread my comment.  I was just reminiscing.  And the hashtag is just funny to me, not a blast on the band whatsoever...

2 hours ago, MyEnemy said:

Are you not familiar with Fantastic Planet??

A universally loved record that wasn’t pressed until 14 years after it was released, has had only two pressings and is insanely rare to come by for cheaper than 4-5 times what they’re charging. A record that’s only gotten more popular in the 26 years since it’s release and will continue to.

You may bitch and moan about it, but not bad for what it is, if you ask me.

Its also Failure. 

I'm quite familiar with Fantastic Planet, and Failure as a band. I've said it before and I'll say it again, aftermarket prices should have no effect on a new pressing of a release. If that were the case you'd be paying ridiculous prices for most represses that have been OOP for a while.

32 minutes ago, 75 percent oof said:

I'm quite familiar with Fantastic Planet, and Failure as a band. I've said it before and I'll say it again, aftermarket prices should have no effect on a new pressing of a release. If that were the case you'd be paying ridiculous prices for most represses that have been OOP for a while.

We already are. A record that’s been OOP for 6+ years is going to be, at least, $8-$15 more than it was when it was last pressed. There are exceptions. Supply and demand are making it easy to make these things happen. Labels/bands need to survive too. Albeit to a certain extreme that hurts us. But even then you can have an “endless” pressing, $50 is still decent. 

Again, we’re talking about a band that was charging $50 for a double LP 10 years ago.

Mentioning/complaining about the rise in prices for records is one of the craziest things to me. Especially with what the fuck is going on and the world we’re all living in. Ramen used to be $.25, now it’s two for a $1. FUCK! I’m done!

Instead of voicing an opinion that doesn’t matter, bow out of “the hobby” gracefully.

Edited by MyEnemy

1 hour ago, MyEnemy said:

We already are. A record that’s been OOP for 6+ years is going to be, at least, $8-$15 more than it was when it was last pressed. There are exceptions. Supply and demand are making it easy to make these things happen. Labels/bands need to survive too. Albeit to a certain extreme that hurts us. But even then you can have an “endless” pressing, $50 is still decent. 

Again, we’re talking about a band that was charging $50 for a double LP 10 years ago.

Mentioning/complaining about the rise in prices for records is one of the craziest things to me. Especially with what the fuck is going on and the world we’re all living in. Ramen used to be $.25, now it’s two for a $1. FUCK! I’m done!

Instead of voicing an opinion that doesn’t matter, bow out of “the hobby” gracefully.

Ah, right. The argument that because worse things are going on in the world another shitty thing doesn't matter. Gotta love that old chestnut. More than one thing can suck at a time.

And suggesting someone give up a hobby they've been involved with for 18 years because they voiced an opinion you appqrently disagree with? Seems like you're super stable and fun to be around.

Edited by 75 percent oof

1 hour ago, 75 percent oof said:

Ah, right. The argument that because worse things are going on in the world another shitty thing doesn't matter. Gotta love that old chestnut. More than one thing can suck at a time.

And suggesting someone give up a hobby they've been involved with for 18 years because they voiced an opinion you appqrently disagree with? Seems like you're super stable and fun to be around.

You’re complaining about how much records cost in 2022. I’m assuming you don’t bitch about how the chips you buy are now $2.50 more than they were 4 years ago? Right? No, you just buy them anyways. You sound like an unemployed teenager that now has to pay for shit he was getting for free because he moved out of his parents house. Keep up with how things are or don’t. Yes, this discussion of inflation and everything else has been brought up before, especially in the last three years. Thats not going away. I’m tired of everyone “voicing their opinion” about how records are “too expensive”. I’m buying $30 single LPs on the reg, and I’m fine with that. Does the fact that I could get away with paying $8 for a new LP in 1998 make any difference in that equation? NO! Keep doing you, you seem content. I’m personally sick of hearing about that bullshit. Me suggesting you give this up seems pretty apt with what you and a lot of “long time” collectors think is price gouging.

Also, very much stable(I mean…) and very much fun to be with. Thanks for the compliment.

Edited by MyEnemy

On 7/6/2022 at 12:21 PM, Deathbyart said:

it was a small jot and I was lucky enough they came through Dallas. 

https://imgur.com/a/kYzBeOH

I ordered one of these prints from the nakatomi print guys for $15 when the band is selling the same print for $60.  I'll report back if I get it and what the quality of it is like (I assume identical)

10 hours ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I ordered one of these prints from the nakatomi print guys for $15 when the band is selling the same print for $60.  I'll report back if I get it and what the quality of it is like (I assume identical)

I ordered a poster from there as well and it was identical. 

19 minutes ago, Deathbyart said:

I ordered a poster from there as well and it was identical. 

I couldnt tell from the website, are they screen prints?  I assume they are, but the photo image of the print I ordered is a digital image, not an actual poster, so im flying blind :) 

18 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I couldnt tell from the website, are they screen prints?  I assume they are, but the photo image of the print I ordered is a digital image, not an actual poster, so im flying blind :) 

The one I received was a screen print. I would post better pics but I swapped the more recent print into the frame, so it's in a tube.