PO NOW: dredg - leitmotif

whoa

6 minutes ago, danyc said:

This says 'limited edition', but no info has to how limited it is. 

The thing is, seeing how the CWA pressing went, you'll have this first batch and they've released it like "this is limited woooooOooOoo" but then a few months later there'll be just regular black vinyl. Then a signed copy. Then a limited edition print + record. Then a super special limited edition that comes with Drew's gold foiled pubes.

1 hour ago, mcpherson123 said:

I think that Live At The Fillmore 2xLP was like $60 or $80. That seemed egregious. $40 for a single LP is tough. But these will sell out and you'll be left with discogs prices if you want to get one at that point.  I wouldn't normally buy a $40 single LP but I have the 2009 press and I get nervous when playing it because it is so irreplaceable.  I don't feel great about the price but I snagged one of these anyway. Its just going to be more expensive later.

This is spot on. I really wanted the Fillmore pressing but balked at the price. Now it's 5x the price and I am really regretting my decision not to buy. 

1 hour ago, whoa said:

The thing is, seeing how the CWA pressing went, you'll have this first batch and they've released it like "this is limited woooooOooOoo" but then a few months later there'll be just regular black vinyl. Then a signed copy. Then a limited edition print + record. Then a super special limited edition that comes with Drew's gold foiled pubes.

Dammit, there was a pube release? I missed that one! 

1 hour ago, Vega said:

I was also expecting some kind of 7" bonus release alongside the full EP, because what the hell is this then?

An old Bug Eyes tp?

There's a release coming called the Dredg Vault, which will be big collection of art, videos, photos, etc. from their entire career. This flexi is something that will be included in that Vault release, but it's not been stated what will be on it.

They talk about the vault a bit in this podcast episode from earlier this year 

Edited by Justinadamk

31 minutes ago, Justinadamk said:

There's a release coming called the Dredg Vault, which will be big collection of art, videos, photos, etc. from their entire career. This flexi is something that will be included in that Vault release, but it's not been stated what will be on it.

They talk about the vault a bit in this podcast episode from earlier this year 

Interesting...judging from Leitmotif taking already more than 6 months to come out I won't count on that being released any time soon though 🥴  but one can still hope.

Same goes for the new album, I thought earlier this year they'd maybe do a pre-order this winter but now I can't see them releasing anything new earlier than 2023 - especially if this Vault release is an actual thing and they have to do all kinds of artwork/mastering/package design for that.

13 minutes ago, phillybhatesme said:

I noticed this as well AND they're not sold out...so I wonder if they're just taking orders and will fulfill however many come in and then some?

Idk. 

The first and second CWA pressings took months to sell out each...months. And those are only around 1000 copies per version. I have a feeling that this band is not as big anymore as a lot of fans think, the fact that CWA took so long to sell out a few years ago really surprised me, because that was the one record a lot of people wanted to see happening, even those who don't listen to the rest of their catalogue, and it still was available for a long time. So I wouldn't worry about the "limited" part of this new release. It's going to be limited enough.

1 hour ago, whoa said:

In for the pube variant.  Here’s to hoping it’s pressed by Wax Mage.

With the booklet I decided to pick up a second copy and let my OG rest. And super excited to check out the makin’ of “Leitmotif” video on YouTube this Friday. I thought they were originally gonna release in on VHS, but kinda glad they may have decided not to do that. I’m not so sure that any kinda archive release will hold up their new material as they’ve had over a year to decide what to do, like most other bands.

With Black Map’s third album delayed to early next year I could see the new dredg album bein’ pushed back further. But I still believe it’ll be worth the wait. 

10 hours ago, Kyte30351 said:

With the booklet I decided to pick up a second copy and let my OG rest. And super excited to check out the makin’ of “Leitmotif” video on YouTube this Friday. I thought they were originally gonna release in on VHS, but kinda glad they may have decided not to do that. I’m not so sure that any kinda archive release will hold up their new material as they’ve had over a year to decide what to do, like most other bands.

With Black Map’s third album delayed to early next year I could see the new dredg album bein’ pushed back further. But I still believe it’ll be worth the wait. 

According to this podcast with Gavin that came out yesterday, I think the VHS vault thing could still be happening too! 

Also, 2 albums worth of dredg material in demo form right now (will likely be cut down for release)

Edited by Justinadamk

13 hours ago, Justinadamk said:

According to this podcast with Gavin that came out yesterday, I think the VHS vault thing could still be happening too! 

Also, 2 albums worth of dredg material in demo form right now (will likely be cut down for release)

Whatever they release I’m pretty much in to buy it. I’ve loved dredg since somewhere ‘round 1999/2000 when an ol’ Internet friend sent me “Of the Room” from their industry demo and mp3s of “Leitmotif”. Sure, “Chuckles & Mr. Squeezy” was not up to par, but it was much more a collaboration with the producer than a traditional band album from them. And those songs live were pretty good!

If you don’t wanna pay their prices, don’t. Maybe it’ll send the message that they’re chargin’ too much. Except all of their vinyl releases have sold out and end up even more overpriced on the resale market. Complain all you want, folks. I’m gonna sit back and enjoy their tunes on vinyl or whatever format I choose at this point, and wait with baited breath on live show or general tour announcement!

I love how people complain about paying 70 dollars with shipping for an album that was previously only available for 400 dollars, without a booklet at that. If you guys would have seen an OG black copy for 70 bucks on ebay you would have bought it immediately. I mean, yeah, it is over-priced, but we're talking about the same band where the bassist sells the records on his own website for triple the price a few months after they sell out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
24 minutes ago, WalMK2 said:

Had to pay 60 euros for vinyl + shipment and 14 euros more for import custom fees here in France... Should finally receive it this week but damn, last time I do this... until El Cielo 😆

use mail forwarding services to cut those prices significantly. here's my write-up on it.

Got mine today, the packaging is surprisingly flimsy, surprising because the original is okay I guess but nothing special and quite thin as well, this one is even worse plus the design of the spine is really odd, the back and front basically split on the spine, the original is cleaner there design wise.

So yeah, 40 bucks for this is quite a lot having it in hand now, and I was defending them making it this expensive because of the booklet etc. Hope the pressings of their next album, if it will eventually come out in 9 years will be on par with El Cielo and Pariah.

The jacket is definitely a step down from the previous pressing. A little flimsier, weird spine, more pixelated. 

Vinyl color is nice. Was filthy, so make sure you give it a really good clean. 

Sounds the same as my original black pressing, which I would say is slightly better than the CD. 

Overall, a pretty mediocre release.