PO: Big Thief — Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You (2/11)

AlexH.

Out February 11th. Includes all the recent singles they've been dropping, and this new one:

Recycled vinyl (Indie/4AD/Big Thief exclusive) or black vinyl:

https://bigthief.bandcamp.com/album/dragon-new-warm-mountain-i-believe-in-you

https://shopusa.4ad.com/dragon-new-warm-mountain-i-believe-in-you ("All pre-orders of the album on the 4AD webstore will be entered into a draw to win a signed DNWMIBIY screen print.")

https://store.bigthief.net/collections/music

Green vinyl (VMP exclusive):

https://www.vinylmeplease.com/products/big-thief-dragon-new-warm-mountain-i-believe-in-you

Edited by AlexH.

3 hours ago, AlexH. said:

I think it's very funny that big labels are now starting to put an eco-friendly marketing spin on the same recycled vinyl option that punk labels have been using to save money for the past, oh, 20 years. I wanna say Ed Sheeran just did the same thing?

I know that the mockup on the bandcamp link you shared is your typical "recycled" sludge brown, but I will say that there's been a wide variety of colors and opacity with these new Eco presses.  (Yet to be determined if they sound okay; I haven't picked up any for myself just yet.)  At least there's not a 90% chance that they'll be some shade of purple, brown, or putty grey like the "mystery vinyl" of the last 30 years have been.

Edited by Derek™

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, thetrackt said:

Gotta say, personally I’m not going to buy  eco vinyl at all anymore - sounds terrible I think. 

Great album but the eco pressing is rough. 

I got one of the eco pressings. Records are a higher weight than usual (not 180g, maube 160g or 170g), also really like how the artwork looks on the recycled sleeve. Have yet to listen to it but it doesn't seem like they half assed this or cut any corners. 

54 minutes ago, scottheisel said:

This record is so fuckin' good, and makes me feel like an idiot for sleeping on Big Thief up until now. I've already gone back and bought their first record (which is also great!), where should I go next?

There is no bad record so regardless of which one you choose it’ll be good.   

Capacity is probably more similar to Masterpiece than their other work.  U.F.O.F. Is a very Earthy and chill album and the self titled song is probably my favorite song of theirs.  Two Hands is a bit more rockin’ than most of their work.   

7 hours ago, scottheisel said:

This record is so fuckin' good, and makes me feel like an idiot for sleeping on Big Thief up until now. I've already gone back and bought their first record (which is also great!), where should I go next?

UFOF is probably my favorite album by them, follow that up with Two Hands since they're essentially companion albums, the former being more "wet" and tranquil, the latter more "dry" and barren. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2022 at 6:56 AM, dawhizz said:

Any other opinions on either vinyl pressing of this (eco v. black)?  Thinking of picking it up but have noticed complaints about the eco press and not much chatter at all about the black. 

Can't speak to the eco unfortunately but I can offer further confirmation that my black copy sounds great, no issues.