Floor heating

Hi all.

I’ve recently moved into a new apartment, which has floor heating. I store my vinyl in IKEA Kallax shelves/cubes. I’ve noticed the records on the bottom row feel slightly warm to the touch. Definitely not hot, but still. Do you think this could actually damage the records?

I’ve tried to do some online research but all I found was a six-year-old discussion on Discogs, which basically came down to: don’t worry about it too much. 

Any ideas/insights are appreciated, so thanks in advance. 

Edited by Jim Steele

6 minutes ago, shenanigans said:

How hot are you heating your floor? Also what temperature do you keep your apartment at?

Floor heating is set at 40 degrees Celsius (about 104 Fahrenheit). But keep in mind there’s concrete plus a wooden floor on top of the heating system so the floor is nowhere near that temperature. I’d say average temperature inside is 19/20 degrees Celsius (around 68 Fahrenheit). 

8 hours ago, timsimmons said:

I have a heated floor in my basement where my records are. The bottom of the Expedit will protect them. Between the concrete, the flooring and the shelf insulating from the heat, they will be fine. (10 years of living with heated floors)

That’s reassuring, although the IKEA shelf doesn’t insulate as well as I had hoped.

So you store records on the bottom shelves as well? I might still place something underneath the records on the bottom shelves, just to be sure. 

I've had records warp from window glare and even the heat from a goddamn Wii console. I now live in constant fear, but haven't had any records parish as of late.

Take them off the bottom shelf and put some cacti down there, hit up a Black Friday deal for a new shelf, live mas. 

On 11/23/2021 at 2:06 PM, Jim Steele said:

Hi all.

I’ve recently moved into a new apartment, which has floor heating. I store my vinyl in IKEA Kallax shelves/cubes. I’ve noticed the records on the bottom row feel slightly warm to the touch. Definitely not hot, but still. Do you think this could actually damage the records?

I’ve tried to do some online research but all I found was a six-year-old discussion on Discogs, which basically came down to: don’t worry about it too much. 

Any ideas/insights are appreciated, so thanks in advance. 

If my records were stored somewhere that made them feel warm to the touch, I'd have moved them in less time than it took you to type this.

You don't mess with heat and vinyl, period.

I assume you've looked into this, but if you don't want to completely reinvent your storage area - IKEA sells legs you can attach to the bottom of the KALLAX - https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/capita-leg-stainless-steel-60263574/

I'm pretty sure that's what I have on mine. imagine it would get them elevated enough to get them off any heat that could affect your records. It doesn't raise the shelves too much, ours still sit under the window sills in the room they're in.

3 hours ago, timsimmons said:

Man. I would not put legs on my Kallax/Expedit. 

Well, maybe the 2x2.

Just put like 20 legs and you're good to go.

Seriously though it takes extreme heat to warp a record. Anything in the 70s isn't gonna do it or my whole collection would be warped because I live in S Florida. Most warping actually happens at the pressing plant because they didn't cool the records long enough before moving them.

4 hours ago, holland623 said:

I assume you've looked into this, but if you don't want to completely reinvent your storage area - IKEA sells legs you can attach to the bottom of the KALLAX - https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/capita-leg-stainless-steel-60263574/

I'm pretty sure that's what I have on mine. imagine it would get them elevated enough to get them off any heat that could affect your records. It doesn't raise the shelves too much, ours still sit under the window sills in the room they're in.

Yeah, I did. Would be a good solution if I had the smaller units. But I have a 4x4 with a 4x2 stacked on top, so putting legs underneath is not an option weight-wise.