PO: Bloc Party - Alpha Games

Just saw the news and heard the lead single, it's surprisingly not bad!  

From their webstore:
"Alpha Games was conceived on the road, playing in front of amazing crowds on our last tour and then brought to life with the fire and the frustrations of 2020,” says Kele Okereke on Bloc Party’s first new album in seven years. The first Bloc Party album written and recorded as this four piece; adding the musicality of Justin Harris (bass) and the unbridled energy and power of Louise Bartle on the drums to capture the spark of their live shows and to deliver the most exciting Bloc Party album yet."

Official Bloc Party store pre-orders: 
https://blocparty.shop.musictoday.com/

Standard black and a black/red split exclusive. 

https://pitchfork.com/news/bloc-party-announce-new-album-alpha-games-share-new-song-listen/

"Traps" video here: 

Edited by rabbitvinyl

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I'm in a weird minority that actually quite enjoys Four.  I still revisit that one.  Hymns was irredeemably bad though; this band is too inconsistent these days.  I will check out Alpha Games with an open mind but I don't think a pre-order is necessary for me.

Four was great.  I mean, there were some filler songs, but I think it’s their second best album, behind Silent Alarm.

Even Weekend in the City is too inconsistent for me.

Agree with most here that Four was definitely legit. For me nothing can top Silent Alarm and the rest of the albums never come close but Four is definitely an enjoyable listen that I've replayed a few times.

I heard "Traps" last night and I can see myself buying this album. Not necessarily ready to pre-order but I at least have hopes for what could be another good or great BP album.

Silent Alarm is killer all the way through. A Weekend in the City and Intimacy have great first halves, but lose momentum towards the end. Four is pretty good throughout and the final track is one of my favourites of theirs. They lost an amazing drummer when Matt left and then Gordon leaving was pretty much the final nail in the coffin. They haven't been the same since and Hymns shows it.

I'll give the new album a chance, but losing their previous rhythm section really hurt their sound.

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, rabbitvinyl said:

Well...I'm certainly glad I didn't pre-order this now. This is a huge step down from the lead single.

You really were not joking.  Oof.  If this band had a better track record, the optimist in me would win out and I’d almost be willing to accept this new track as the bad egg in the carton.  But as of now I share that same sentiment with you – I’m really glad I didn’t get swept into the hype and pre-order this thing.  I think I’ll check it out with morbid curiosity and the most reserved of expectations but I fully expect this’ll be another one’n’done BP record for me.

On 11/24/2021 at 6:31 AM, nevelsaynevels said:

I enjoyed Four for what it was. Silent Alarm -Intimacy was peak BP for me. This new song is a banger and I want to physically fight their bass tone. Probably won't preorder but will give the record a chance. 

Late reply but you weren’t kidding. That bass tone is beautiful. 

• 5 months later...