What is the vinyl you never open/listen to in your collection?

seb

5 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Actually, jokes aside, there was this dude in a Facebook group for Boris who was gloating about keeping his latest purchases not only sealed, but contained within their mailers.  I'm not sure if he thought that exposure to air would somehow taint the music but he received so much flack for the post – rightfully so – that he initially got defensive over other people "telling [him] how to spend [his] money", but quickly removed his posts when he couldn't keep up with the text abuse.  I'll never forget that guy.  One of his main interests on Facebook was sourdough bread.

This was happening more and more in Third Man Record groups before I left most.  Leaving the record in the mailer doesn't make it better!

I swear there was a guy on this messaging board years ago who said he bought 3 copies of every record: 1 to play, 1 to keep sealed and sell at the top of market value for himself, and 1 to keep sealed and sell at the top of market value to put toward his kids' college tuitions. It was almost definitely a troll account, but the concept of that is still hilarious to me.

6 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Actually, jokes aside, there was this dude in a Facebook group for Boris who was gloating about keeping his latest purchases not only sealed, but contained within their mailers.  I'm not sure if he thought that exposure to air would somehow taint the music but he received so much flack for the post – rightfully so – that he initially got defensive over other people "telling [him] how to spend [his] money", but quickly removed his posts when he couldn't keep up with the text abuse.  I'll never forget that guy.  One of his main interests on Facebook was sourdough bread.

Haha I remember seeing that 

2 hours ago, TheWindBlower said:

I swear there was a guy on this messaging board years ago who said he bought 3 copies of every record: 1 to play, 1 to keep sealed and sell at the top of market value for himself, and 1 to keep sealed and sell at the top of market value to put toward his kids' college tuitions. It was almost definitely a troll account, but the concept of that is still hilarious to me.

I remember him and honestly didn’t think he was joking.

27 minutes ago, ghost said:

I hate getting sealed records. More often than not, the jackets come with seam splits. And it's good to test play new records with how many bad pressings there are nowadays. Have had to return/exchange like 4 or 5 records within the past year for audio defects.

Brand new copy of Fall of Troy's Doppelganger came with a gnarly seam split and I don't even want to fucking deal with it. Makes me so uncontrollably angry haha. 

On 11/30/2021 at 12:51 PM, MCDELTAT said:

None. I listen to everything. I have a separate cube on my shelf of "new records I haven't listened to yet." and work through those first. Eventually everything gets some love.

Same. But that quickly got out of hand when the collection continued to expand.

So I've been mulling around getting a completely separate little stand or something to display new arrivals

Edited by ethanpricington

3 minutes ago, ethanpricington said:

Same. But that quickly got out of hand when the collection continued to expand.

So I've been mulling around getting a completely separate little stand or something to display new arrivals

I've been eyeing something like this for that purpose. Front record could even be "now playing."

il_1588xN.2486780122_p5yl.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/859995105/four-piece-vinyl-album-display-rack

Edited by phillybhatesme

12 minutes ago, phillybhatesme said:

I've been eyeing something like this for that purpose. Front record could even be "now playing."

il_1588xN.2486780122_p5yl.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/listing/859995105/four-piece-vinyl-album-display-rack

Bingo! Exactly what i was thinking. There's several different versions out there, this one seems like good/sturdy choice too. 

My main problem is my entire setup though. I have a couple different 2x4 kallax units across the room, while the TT is in my entertainment center, as I use my Denon amp, speakers, sub, etc as my surround sound setup too...

So not sure exactly where I'd put something like this, but I do like it. Thanks!

Edited by ethanpricington

Wait.... you guys are listening to your vinyl? 
I am very confused. I thought the whole point was to never open them /s

Jokes aside, like a few people mentioned above I spin everything when it comes in, with few exceptions.

I have a 'now playing pile' on my bookshelf, where things sit until I can listen to them, then they hit the KALLAX.

The only ones that don't get opened are duplicates of albums I already own that are purely for collectability, or stuff ordered for friends and foamily. 
The other very small exception is if I P/O an album, and end up deciding I don't like it by the time the vinyl ships a year and a half later.
Sometimes those just stay sealed and I sell them ASAP.

9 minutes ago, V3XED said:

The other very small exception is if I P/O an album, and end up deciding I don't like it by the time the vinyl ships a year and a half later.
Sometimes those just stay sealed and I sell them ASAP.

Why not just cancel the order?  Do you feel bad or something?  I don't know if it's frowned upon, but on the very rare occasion that happens, I've had 0 issues sending a friendly e-mail to the label or web-store and asking for a cancellation.  It makes more sense to me to have them re-list it (if it's sold out), offering up my reserved copy to someone who may enjoy it more and can now buy it as MSRP.  Versus me having to up-charge on Discogs or something just to break even, months later.  From a label owner's perspective I guess I could see how it'd be frustrating to issue refunds left and right, but I think I've cancelled 1 or 2 POs at most in the last year.

38 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Why not just cancel the order?  Do you feel bad or something?  I don't know if it's frowned upon, but on the very rare occasion that happens, I've had 0 issues sending a friendly e-mail to the label or web-store and asking for a cancellation.  It makes more sense to me to have them re-list it (if it's sold out), offering up my reserved copy to someone who may enjoy it more and can now buy it as MSRP.  Versus me having to up-charge on Discogs or something just to break even, months later.  From a label owner's perspective I guess I could see how it'd be frustrating to issue refunds left and right, but I think I've cancelled 1 or 2 POs at most in the last year.

Nope, nothing to do with ethics, and yeah it isn't the financially savvy move either.  Just usually either forget or its like a bundled order with stuff and I just except it will be a pain so I don't bother out of laziness. Though if your having such good experiences maybe I should try that more often. 

• seb changed the title to What is the vinyl you never open/listen to in your collection?