Jump to content

What is the vinyl you never open/listen to in your collection?


seb
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone - my name is Seb (French living in the UK (London)). I was wondering what is the vinyl among your collection that you haven't opened/listened to yet?

 

Very often it's a record bought during a frenetic shopping session and been put aside... and then another serious buying spree happened!

 

Unfortunately I have many of those... but I would say a record from Pierre Henry (experimental music) "Mariage de la feuille et du cliché!"

 

spacer.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I mentioned this in another thread, but...(inhale) I recently moved into a new home(actually a year ago), and I started putting my records and turntable away into uhaul boxes about 6 months prior to moving out. But i kept buying! Meanwhile, 6 more months passed before I finished my record room. So when that happened I finally started cleaning records. Damn I bought so many records... DAMN!!! So yeah I got a ton of sealed records...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's like a car, once you let it leave the lot (packaging) it drops a fucking lot in value so I just never take anything out of the package.. I stream the album while looking at the sealed vinyl beauty in my hands and sometimes I even imagine just how much better it would sound but this boy here is not leaving the lot! I got 2k vinyl so I don't need to tell you how good my retirement is going to be once I cash in 🤑

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, hype said:

It's like a car, once you let it leave the lot (packaging) it drops a fucking lot in value so I just never take anything out of the package.. I stream the album while looking at the sealed vinyl beauty in my hands and sometimes I even imagine just how much better it would sound but this boy here is not leaving the lot! I got 2k vinyl so I don't need to tell you how good my retirement is going to be once I cash in 🤑

I know this is a joke but I don't really think a sealed record is all that more valuable to flip these days with all the plant mistakes going on. Listing as NM Perfect Condition on stuff I've opened to inspect and not play usually gets me the stupid prices over max value on discogs that these people are willing to pay now. Plus I can play it anyways and lie about it if it's open.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Fuck Whisperer said:

I know this is a joke but I don't really think a sealed record is all that more valuable to flip these days with all the plant mistakes going on. Listing as NM Perfect Condition on stuff I've opened to inspect and not play usually gets me the stupid prices over max value on discogs that these people are willing to pay now. Plus I can play it anyways and lie about it if it's open.

Can't disagree with this at all, but I still think people are game to pay big bucks for Schrödinger's wrap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Can't disagree with this at all, but I still think people are game to pay big bucks for Schrödinger's wrap.

Yeah I totally forgot about the buy to keep sealed crowd. I wish I'd known from the beginning to just buy a sealed copy in addition to my play copy of every release. It literally is a healthy retirement fund at this point and anyone who has done that is sitting pretty

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know everyone has jokes, but I bought a metric fuckton of records during quarantine/ 2020 and there are certainly some I haven't plopped down on the platter yet. 

There's also the 2 that came in yesterday and the 2 that came in today that I won't have a chance to listen to until after the semester ends.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually, jokes aside, there was this dude in a Facebook group for Boris who was gloating about keeping his latest purchases not only sealed, but contained within their mailers.  I'm not sure if he thought that exposure to air would somehow taint the music but he received so much flack for the post – rightfully so – that he initially got defensive over other people "telling [him] how to spend [his] money", but quickly removed his posts when he couldn't keep up with the text abuse.  I'll never forget that guy.  One of his main interests on Facebook was sourdough bread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Actually, jokes aside, there was this dude in a Facebook group for Boris who was gloating about keeping his latest purchases not only sealed, but contained within their mailers.  

What a narc. My collection is so mint, I rarely even pick my records up from the post office. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, The Fuck Whisperer said:

I know this is a joke but I don't really think a sealed record is all that more valuable to flip these days with all the plant mistakes going on. Listing as NM Perfect Condition on stuff I've opened to inspect and not play usually gets me the stupid prices over max value on discogs that these people are willing to pay now. Plus I can play it anyways and lie about it if it's open.

The specificity of the vinyl market is that many many records are never unsealed... and being sold/exchanged/kept as "tokens" or collectibles!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, seb said:

The specificity of the vinyl market is that many many records are never unsealed... and being sold/exchanged/kept as "tokens" or collectibles!

So it's an NFT, except pretty fungible (to a point) and you can HOLD it. 

Vinyl is an NFT. 

 

Edited by Fowty Dollaz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Actually, jokes aside, there was this dude in a Facebook group for Boris who was gloating about keeping his latest purchases not only sealed, but contained within their mailers.  I'm not sure if he thought that exposure to air would somehow taint the music but he received so much flack for the post – rightfully so – that he initially got defensive over other people "telling [him] how to spend [his] money", but quickly removed his posts when he couldn't keep up with the text abuse.  I'll never forget that guy.  One of his main interests on Facebook was sourdough bread.

To be fair, sourdough bread is really fuckin' good when done right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dawhizz said:

Is it weird that usually feel compelled to spin what I get at last once relatively soon after I get it just to make sure it’s the right music on the record? 

No.

9 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

To be fair, sourdough bread is really fuckin' good when done right.

Facts right here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

None. I listen to everything. I have a separate cube on my shelf of "new records I haven't listened to yet." and work through those first. Eventually everything gets some love.

I do the same.

 

Plus a "these used (and sometimes brand new) records are filthy as fuck and need to be washed before I play them" bonus section.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • seb changed the title to What is the vinyl you never open/listen to in your collection?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×

oh my wow GIF by ESPN Deportes

 

Please disable AdBlock OR sign-in in order to be able to access our website...

I Understand, I'll disable it for this website