Building an App for vinyl junkies. What features would you like to see?

seb

On 12/7/2021 at 12:53 PM, geezfools said:

• Would you like to be able to buy directly to the Artists (like Bandcamp but on a more interactive version)?
    I think this is how limitedrun started maybe, it's been forever. Would definitely be okay with that option. I think having some sort of notification built in would make it work even better. One could follow artists or labels and then get alerts when POs go up. Hell, I'd almost be into a pull list style setup like they do with comics.

I don't remember purchasing on limited run other than being able to mark your collection for sale or not, but if we could have limited run, with discogs general database but easier to find things, maybe some social elements, I'd be down. 

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone - just wanted to update you on this project! We have launched a few weeks ago and did some live crate digging from record stores in London, invites cool labels to showcase their releases, invited Thomas from vinyl.eu who sold some of his 30,000 records live!

Tomorrow (8pm GMT), we'll have Dom from Wah Wah 45s, a well respected independant label from London. Dom will explain the story behind some of their main releases. 

Join us and happy to give you a 50% discount on your purchases to only 10 people (please DM me for the vouncher) to try this new experience!

Any questions, comments, suggestions, please let us know.

spacer.png

Reminds me of whatnot. The biggest hurdle here for me is that I don't want to make time in my schedule to watch a live auction on my phone, especially when the odds of coming across something in my want list are so small. I also couldn't imagine using this to sell records, just seems wildly inefficient. But I'm sure it works for some people.

Sorry for going off on a tangent, but if there is one feature I could request from the big kids at Discogs that would be really useful to me it would be a way to scan record identifiers (barcode or even covers or other identifiers) via the phone cam in order to more quickly add them to my collection. Only a fraction of my collection is on Discogs; I just don't have the time to add everything. (Is that already a feature of the Discogs app? I never actually tried.)

Edited by ParallelofDeath

3 minutes ago, ParallelofDeath said:

Reminds me of whatnot. The biggest hurdle here for me is that I don't want to make time in my schedule to watch a live auction on my phone, especially when the odds of coming across something in my want list are so small. I also couldn't imagine using this to sell records, just seems wildly inefficient. But I'm sure it works for some people.

Sorry for going off on a tangent, but if there is one feature I could request from the big kids at Discogs that would be really useful to me it would be a way to scan record identifiers (barcode or even covers or other identifiers) via the phone cam in order to more quickly add them to my collection. Only a fraction of my collection is on Discogs; I just don't have the time to add everything. (Is that already a feature of the Discogs app? I never actually tried.)

I'm way with you in the first half. This isn't for me, but im glad whoever likes it does.

The issue with the second half of what you said is they'd have to make it able to scan matrices and etchings to actually be accurate for most older pressings, which would be terribly hard. As someone who has taken the time to go through and carefully and accurately catalogue 90+% of my collection...it's time consuming, but a worthwhile endeavor. I can't be put out to add any of my weird old Korean, Japanese, and Chinese records that have no entries on discogs though, so it will never be complete.

1 minute ago, 75 percent oof said:

I'm way with you in the first half. This isn't for me, but im glad whoever likes it does.

The issue with the second half of what you said is they'd have to make it able to scan matrices and etchings to actually be accurate for most older pressings, which would be terribly hard. As someone who has taken the time to go through and carefully and accurately catalogue 90+% of my collection...it's time consuming, but a worthwhile endeavor. I can't be put out to add any of my weird old Korean, Japanese, and Chinese records that have no entries on discogs though, so it will never be complete.

Totally get what you mean. Any automatic solution, even if it involves some sort of advanced image recognition, is bound to be imperfect. Whenever I do take an hour or two to add stuff I also enjoy the process, getting lost in music and liner notes of records I haven't picked up in  a while. But it's hard to make that time, so I'd settle for a solution that gets me 50% there, by correctly identifying whatever it can and narrowing down the options for the rest.

15 minutes ago, ParallelofDeath said:

Totally get what you mean. Any automatic solution, even if it involves some sort of advanced image recognition, is bound to be imperfect. Whenever I do take an hour or two to add stuff I also enjoy the process, getting lost in music and liner notes of records I haven't picked up in  a while. But it's hard to make that time, so I'd settle for a solution that gets me 50% there, by correctly identifying whatever it can and narrowing down the options for the rest.

Right on. I thought at some point they had a barcode scanner in the app, but I may be remembering wrong, or it got removed.

30 minutes ago, ParallelofDeath said:

Yes, scanning barcodes is a feature on the Discogs app. Like everything else, it's based on the accuracy of the user inputted information, though. And unfortunately multiple versions of the same release can share the same barcode, so it's not always going to give you exactly what you're looking for. 

4 minutes ago, ParallelofDeath said:

I had no idea, I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks!

It took me a minute to find it in the app, but if you press the search button, the barcode scanner will pop up right next to it. As Mitchard and I said though, it likely will not be super accurate, especially for older records that will share a barcode across a large number of different presses.

Edited by 75 percent oof

1 hour ago, ParallelofDeath said:

Thanks for your comments. 

First of all, there is no auction. 

Second, all the videos will be recorded - it's all about sharing "musical knowledge" and making you discover new music organically (no algorithm - only real people).  No need to buy records - just listen to some fascinating people talking about music (and optionally, you can buy the records).

90% of the purchases on the app have been done by people who did not know the record(s) presented, but when hearing their journey, people behind, they decided to buy a record. We try to recreate the record store experience, but online. 

Discogs will always be the place to buy things you know. We want to be a platform to discover new music thanks to Tastemakers, Artists, Collectors, Store Owners or Label owners (who are not the person WhatNot has been built for).

Tomorrow, we'll host Dom, co-founder of Wah Wah 45s record - an amazing label who signed Artists such as Henri Pierre Noel, Terry Callier... 

spacer.png

Hi everyone! Things moving fast - we are having Tim Burgess live tonight, signing his latest record live, Typical Music, on the App. We are also in discussion with other well known Artists and Labels to "digitalise" the in store signing experience. Less complex to organize for the Artists, no queues and more personalised messages for Fans. 

Contact me in DM if you are interested and I can give you a vouncher code - only 10 records available for sale/signing.

spacer.png