New to the vinyl gang: Where to start?

Marla

22 minutes ago, prowl20 said:

this vinyl subreddit posts a LOT of represses and pre-orders that this board often misses

Speak for yourself – or general VC I guess – but I suspect a lot of folks here do catch those releases, and just don’t bother creating new threads or bumping ones that are 5-10 years old.  I know I’ll often catch new drops before they’re posted here or on that sub, just from following bands and labels on social media.  Since I don’t feel like I especially share a lot of musical ground with VC these days, I tend to just text the friends those releases apply to, assuming they’re not already on the ball or even more privy to drops.  Makes way more sense than creating a thread in hopes they’ll see it in time.  Plus I figure we already have one bot regurgitating links and Twitter updates all day – no need to saturate.

tl,dr; social media was a mistake but using it to follow bands and labels almost makes it redeemable.  Facebook, IG, and Twitter notably.  They’re excellent sources for pre-orders and even announcements of upcoming pre-order windows, but I’m sure if you’re reading this, you’re already well aware.

15 minutes ago, Marla said:

Thank you all for your answers!

I started checking for my favourite albums and almost all of them are out of stock :(

Is it worth waiting (for how long though? :( ) or should I try to find them second hand? Do you guys buy it new mostly?

New when possible, but a lot of albums go out of print and are repressed later. If you're really trying to find one thing or another, try Discogs or even searching on the Buy/ Sell/ Trade threads here. I've gotten great deals on this very forum.

What are you looking for, specifically?

1 hour ago, timsimmons said:

Counterpoint, theres less posted here because this sub exists.

Counter-Counterpoint. The members of this board have a similar music tastes and the preorders/restocks/represses get posted here are more in line with that rather than the shotgun of here's all of the things the subreddit offers. 

Also it's a lot more personable and fun here than a subreddit. Definitely a sense of community since it's a smaller space. 

This is why I prefer to post/find my releases here. If I miss anything really cool these days, a) I didn't care enough b) It's probably way too expensive c) In the end there will always be a repress, patience is always key