I need some advice on my record collection

I had gotten to the point a few years ago where money was becoming an issue and I was forced to sit back and consider why I was collecting. I had complete variant collections for some bands and artists that I really didn't meed or care that much about. 

I had to think critically about what I wanted and why I wanted it. 

Was it for the sake of collecting or was it cause I actually liked the music or record. 

I had to turn both of those points from a venn diagram to a perfect circle and I still use that to guide how I collect now.

So many great points in all the posts above,@IndigoHollowprobably summed it up best.

From my own personal experience in collecting the past 15 years and becoming stressed out about many of the same things you are, here are some things that helped me more recently:

• I try to keep my collection under 500 records, this is my own personal comfortability threshold, physically & financially. I don't want to deal with 20 Kallax units worth of records. As I approach the 500 number in order to justify buying more, I've got to sell 10-20 to make room. Usually by that point, its pretty easy to find a few to weed out as I get tired of them
  • I used to be so worried about "resale value" and keeping them pristine. I had poly sleeves for every record and each time id take one out to play it was such a process. I threw them all out one day and said fuck it, if I'm gonna enjoy it I'm gonna enjoy it. If some asshole wants to buy one of my records down the line he'll get some wear, whatever. This decision has helped my personal enjoyment immensely

Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for.

Edited by satoshi

On 1/6/2022 at 9:20 PM, porkdad said:

Impulsively selling your collection doesn’t seem like it would help you- I can only imagine the remorse you’d feel. 

I tried to mass sell everything on here a few years ago because I was anxious about other things. Did not help. Sold  ~90? Records of 450, took a ton of time to work out deals and prices with people, make sure it shipped well. The only things that sold were hard to find stuff, some of which has been repressed, some of which is just even more astronomically expensive.

so all I’m saying, stop buying records, try to enjoy what you have, go from there.

Sell it. Pandemic brain has new collectors paying top dollar for stuff you'll more than likely never spin again, hang onto records that actually mean something to you, invest the money into installing a stone pizza oven in your backyard 💪🍕