Selling records and the new tax law

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

From July 2020 through August 1 2021, I made more than 10K selling records online. I guess I won't be doing that again without keeping track of what I spend, cost of supplies, shipping, other expense, etc.

You should probably delete this post. If the IRS sees this, you will owe the government money. You can't sell 10k worth of stuff without paying any taxes on it. At least not legally. The new law doesn't mean you now have to pay taxes on these sales. This has always been the case. The new law just changes the requirements for companies like PayPal and Venmo in terms of who gets a 1099 and how they have to report things. 

10 hours ago, ntslash said:

You should probably delete this post. If the IRS sees this, you will owe the government money. You can't sell 10k worth of stuff without paying any taxes on it. At least not legally. The new law doesn't mean you now have to pay taxes on these sales. This has always been the case. The new law just changes the requirements for companies like PayPal and Venmo in terms of who gets a 1099 and how they have to report things. 

You should probably not take a lasting snapshot by way of forum quoting if you’re serious about him removing his post.

11 hours ago, ntslash said:

I most definitely filed the appropriate documentation. But I also wasn't worried because I didn't get a 1099.

21 minutes ago, dreamover said:

just got my 1099-k from paypal. just realized it's also kind of bullshit because until recently you accepted all the taxes from discogs purchases and then paid discogs. but the amount that paypal reports as income also includes all the taxes you had to pay back. 

How much did you sell last year?  I was under the impression that the changes discussed in this thread are being implemented this year, meaning that it’s something you need to track throughout 2022 and report in 2023 if you sell more than $600.  I already filed my taxes which is kinda’ shit timing if PayPal wants to send me a 1099 for any reason.  (I don’t think I made transactions or enough in sales to justify one, but I could be wrong.)

24 minutes ago, dreamover said:

just got my 1099-k from paypal. just realized it's also kind of bullshit because until recently you accepted all the taxes from discogs purchases and then paid discogs. but the amount that paypal reports as income also includes all the taxes you had to pay back. 

The discogs taxes are the sales tax on the item.  1099 reporting is for income tax.  Both things have to be paid.

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

How much did you sell last year?  I was under the impression that the changes discussed in this thread are being implemented this year, meaning that it’s something you need to track throughout 2022 and report in 2023 if you sell more than $600.  I already filed my taxes which is kinda’ shit timing if PayPal wants to send me a 1099 for any reason.  (I don’t think I made transactions or enough in sales to justify one, but I could be wrong.)

It depends on where you live, many states have already had that $600 threshold for a year or more, it is just expanding to all states now.  I believe Dream is in IL which has had it for at least one year already.  But yeah you can go onto your Paypal at any time and look under tax forms and see yours.  Depending on your state and if you hit $600 or more in sales last year you would be required to file it.  If paypal sends the 1099 and you don't list it when doing your taxes it is big red flag and I would expect a letter/bill from the IRS sooner than later.

Great to know, thank you.  I guess I'm keeping my eyes peeled [going forward] but in that Tax Documents tab I see a dropdown that only lists 2021, and shows it as empty.  I guess I'll amend my taxes if something shows up in the mail but otherwise, I don't think I had enough sale activity to be worthy of a 1099 last year?

Paypal.png

18 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

The discogs taxes are the sales tax on the item.  1099 reporting is for income tax.  Both things have to be paid.

Sure - but the sales tax that was collected (and paid back to Discogs per invoice) shouldn’t be taxed as income, not to mention double-dinged by PayPal. 

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

something like $1200. Ben is right, because I'm in Illinois, the $600 threshold counts for 2021. 

But to those of you who always accurately pay taxes on all of your sales, without having an established business entity; how do you account for the expenses?

I work off a 1099 as a tattoo artist without being an established business, when I file my taxes using turbo tax there is a more advanced section that costs more to file than with just a w2. In that section turbo tax allows me to itemize deductions or you can take the standard deduction which I often do because it is usually higher than my expenses and doesn’t require any itemization which I think makes me less likely to get audited? However I do have no idea what I am doing really but it’s the way I have filed for the last ten years without any trouble. Just annoying that it costs like $50 more to file even though the program only asks a few extra questions. 

3 hours ago, dreamover said:

something like $1200. Ben is right, because I'm in Illinois, the $600 threshold counts for 2021. 

But to those of you who always accurately pay taxes on all of your sales, without having an established business entity; how do you account for the expenses?

I keep pretty detailed records of purchases and expenses.  And paying things like sales taxes do count towards expenses.  

6 hours ago, dreamover said:

In Discogs, go to your Inventory page. Scroll down to Export CSV. Select the dates for 2021 and choose Marketplace Orders from the dropdown. This new Excel file will breakdown every transaction with Subtotal, Shipping paid, Fees charged, and Sales Taxes. Sum the taxes column to get the expenses in sales tax you paid.

5 minutes ago, dnl said:

In Discogs, go to your Inventory page. Scroll down to Export CSV. Select the dates for 2021 and choose Marketplace Orders from the dropdown. This new Excel file will breakdown every transaction with Subtotal, Shipping paid, Fees charged, and Sales Taxes. Sum the taxes column to get the expenses in sales tax you paid.

This guy Excels.

10 minutes ago, unknown pleasures said:

Q: What's the easiest way to make $19k selling records on eBay?

A: List $38k worth of records for half price.

I mean yeah, no doubt.  Sometimes I ponder what it’d be like to sell it all and realize that the net gains must be brutal compared to the bigger picture.  PayPal fees + shipping costs + Discogs cuts, alone.  Those total collection median / max values on Discogs are pretty lofty projections after you shake out each sale to see what really lands in your pockets.

14 hours ago, dreamover said:

That's the rub...you're not allowed to take any expenses for a hobby. And virtually nobody posting here is going to qualify under IRS regulations as a legit business as opposed to hobby loss/income criteria. We are stuck putting the whole damn amount as income and paying the taxes on it.  As someone mentioned, that's always been the rule anyway, we're now just being held accountable. Same thing with internet purchases. Before it was automatically taxes, who out there admitted on their state tax returns that they had made untaxed internet purchases and then ponied up the state tax due? Same concept.

1 hour ago, satoshi said:

Flipping is now less profitable, I guess some will be happy about that

It's only less profitable if they went from doing something illegal before (not paying their taxes).  I don't see it making much of a difference to anyone that flips any considerable amount of items as they were already paying taxes.