PO: The Microphones Box Set

spoon

Here you can buy everything from the Microphones contained in a humongous box. This is final. To commemorate and tombstone 25 years of this intermittently-awake recording project, we made this chunk. It's a 10 pounder, lift with your legs.

Inside a heavy duty full color foil stamped tip-on slip case you'll find:

VINYL:
all the official Microphones albums on vinyl (10xLPs) with heavy tip-on jackets and posters for all of these:
- EARLY TAPES
- Don't Wake Me Up
- It Was Hot, We Stayed In The Water
- the Glow pt. 2
- Song Islands
- Mount Eerie
- Microphones in 2020  

DIGITAL:
- download codes for 74GB of high resolution audio which includes:
- complete discography (17 releases, 226 tracks)
- unreleased outtakes (36 tracks)
- early cassettes (5 of them)
- lots of live recordings (55 tracks from 16 shows, 1999 - 2010)
and this part is nuts...
- STEMS (isolated original studio tracks) for almost everything 

BOOK:
- a new 107 page book, "details and context", of unseen materials, photos, notebook pages, artworks, and detailed notes

OBI:
- special fancy little decorative sash garlanding the top of the box, silver foil stamped and delicate

Note:  This box set is a limited one time run, not to be re-pressed.  A few of the albums contained inside will not be re-pressed either, so this is the last chance to get some of these records.

international customers:
To maybe save on shipping, look to reliable stockists like Bis Aufs Messer, HHV and Juno (Europe), or Red Eye (Australia).

warning: PRE-ORDER
These will ship out in mid February 2022

https://www.pwelverumandsun.com/collections/records/products/microphones-box-set

Despite owning most of this box – and being able to fill in the remainder for relatively cheap – I still badly want to pull the trigger.  It looks premium.  Worth $250+?  Probably not, though I know that's completely subjective.

The product page seems to hint that some of the albums inside won't be pressed again, but doesn't really suggest which ones they may be.  Also looks like the box itself is allegedly a one-time run, which means at least a few Microphones albums are fixing to be OOP pretty soon here.  Watch them be the couple that I don't own.

29 minutes ago, Multiverse said:

I lied
the trailer got me
goodnight

You may've chosen wisely – depending on your ultimate goal, anyway – but it looks like there's a little more than 500 left.  In stock at his webstore, anyway... not sure about the allocation for other outlets.  I know there was 800[ish] that dropped, initially, this evening.  Pitchfork posted an article but I imagine a lot of people won't see it until tomorrow.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were only 100-200 left when we wake up.  If that.

2 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

I wonder how many Soundcloud emo rappers are going to use those stems to sample.

Ended up buying this against my better judgement. Thank goodness for tax returns. I am a way bigger Mount Eerie fan and would definitely buy something along these lines in the future.

Mount Eerie are so good too, and I'd probably cave on a boxset even if I feel like their later outputs are starting to sputter out a little bit, for me.

Also, long time no see.  Hope you've doing well.  (Also consider switching on the new "dark theme" VC got this week, to give your eyes a break.)

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Mount Eerie are so good too, and I'd probably cave on a boxset even if I feel like their later outputs are starting to sputter out a little bit, for me.

Also, long time no see.  Hope you've doing well.  (Also consider switching on the new "dark theme" VC got this week, to give your eyes a break.)

I can’t really do the more recent Mount Eerie stuff. It’s a bit too voyeuristic for me, even though he chose to release those albums.  I don’t like being sad if I have the choice.

I lurk here and there and popped in last night to see some familiar users. I’m doing extremely well these days. Probably better than I have ever been and would like to think I am at the point where I can socialize in a more normal manner, haha. Hope you are doing well too. Definitely throwing on dark mode asap.

8 minutes ago, KaitouG said:

I have all the records (gatefold + obi) already and I can't afford to double dip just for a box.

FWIW Phil did mention on Youtube that the book will be available separately so I'll grab that once that's up.

...that may be incentive for me to cancel and save the cash honestly

I probably won't but I definitely wish I saw that before pulling the trigger

*humble brag* buying Blood way back in the day for $40 after thinking long and hard about spending that much on a record ended up being a great buy.

In for this even though I have two+ copies of mostly everything lol. It looks like you could potentially swap the Obi versions into the box if you don't store the book in there for any other weirdos thinking about doing that...

In a similar boat myself with original pressings and the obi reissues… from a practical standpoint I don’t need this set (especially if the book will be sold separately at some point) but Phil also happens to be the one artist that takes up the most amount of space on my shelf and so it feels like I should be buying this and probably will anyway as soon as it gets closer to selling out 

This is super cool, bummed this only includes physical records that have already been repressed.  Would've totally loved a Song Islands Vol.3 or something like that to push me over the edge but that's just me.  Considering parting with some of my original pressings to finance this, hoping I make up my mind before they're gone or just get the book.  Has anyone heard if there's a way to get the digital component of this release outside of ordering the box? 

14 minutes ago, bonedigger said:

Has anyone heard if there's a way to get the digital component of this release outside of ordering the box? 

I haven't heard anything about, in either direction, but I sort of think the answer would be no.  I only say that because it appears as if the digital download is tied to a card that's included in the box.  But never say never, I suppose... could feasibly happen down the road.

197 in stock for anyone trying to gauge inventory.

54 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I haven't heard anything about, in either direction, but I sort of think the answer would be no.  I only say that because it appears as if the digital download is tied to a card that's included in the box.  But never say never, I suppose... could feasibly happen down the road.

197 in stock for anyone trying to gauge inventory.

Thanks for the info! I just ordered in case.  Will sort out my inner turmoil about it later, haha.  Out of curiosity where are you able to check inventory?  

1 minute ago, bonedigger said:

Thanks for the info! I just ordered in case.  Will sort out my inner turmoil about it later, haha.  Out of curiosity where are you able to check inventory?  

You can either check the page’s source code on desktop (quickest) or add a surplus like 800 to your cart and attempt to checkout.  You’ll get a message that there aren’t enough in stock and the cart will update to reflect what’s available.