PO: The Microphones Box Set

spoon

13 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

You can either check the page’s source code on desktop (quickest) or add a surplus like 800 to your cart and attempt to checkout.  You’ll get a message that there aren’t enough in stock and the cart will update to reflect what’s available.

Interesting, great tip. Thank you! 

21 minutes ago, bonedigger said:

Thanks for the info! I just ordered in case.  Will sort out my inner turmoil about it later, haha.  Out of curiosity where are you able to check inventory?  

inner turmoil accurately sums up how I feel about this purchase

I haven't bought a record in a good while and rarely spin anything, this feels very out of place right now for me

Paypal literally called me thinking it was a fraud charge lol

6 minutes ago, Multiverse said:

I haven't bought a record in a good while and rarely spin anything, this feels very out of place right now for me

Consider Afterpay in the 4 installments every two weeks.  You’ll spend $67ish on way dumber shit over the course of 2 weeks, I can almost guarantee it.  And while I’d never suggest to flip Microphones, the reality is that this boxset has mostly sold out in < 24 hours, and won’t be any cheaper down the road elsewhere.  Unless you’re truly hurting on funds or trying to save for something more pressing, this feels like a worthwhile scenario to act now, dwell later.  (Also consider that the money is going straight to Phil and his label which always feels good.)

4 minutes ago, Multiverse said:

Yeah, I hesitated for sure since I already own the main vinyl releases.  But I figure since all of these are somewhat recently remastered I'll feel ok trading in my old pressings to pay back part of the cost, I'm certain the new pressings I don't own are improved in terms of sound and packaging anyway.  There are very very few artists I'd justify spending on this kind of indulgent feeling release but he's definitely one of them.  

I didn't feel bad buying it, sold my copies of it was hot/glow/ount erie/2020 in a bundle for $100 on reddit to offset it a little bit. Big-picture I'm "taking a loss", but Phil's high on the list of musicians who've stuck to their roots and deserve to be adequately compensated (has K records even paid him out after that whole fiasco?).

Succumbed to the FOMO. I don’t have any microphones albums right now but I always enjoy acquiring a total discography so I don’t have to hunt. 25 bucks an album isn’t terrible nowadays. 

EDIT: Wait. It’s 25 per disc. So it’s more like 35 per album. Dang.

But, uh, book downloads etc

pls let me justify this

Edited by HoneyFrosted

20 hours ago, HoneyFrosted said:

Succumbed to the FOMO. I don’t have any microphones albums right now but I always enjoy acquiring a total discography so I don’t have to hunt. 25 bucks an album isn’t terrible nowadays. 

EDIT: Wait. It’s 25 per disc. So it’s more like 35 per album. Dang.

But, uh, book downloads etc

pls let me justify this

Yeah there’s only 7 LPs, from what I can gather. 10 discs. So about $38 per record. I ain’t mad.

1 hour ago, Bronchitis said:

Not sure when it was added, but there is a note saying remaining boxes won’t have sleeves for Early Tapes. I wonder what happened there.

No idea what happened but leads me to believe this might be on of the albums that won’t be back in print. Maybe Song Islands too? 

1 hour ago, Bronchitis said:

Not sure when it was added, but there is a note saying remaining boxes won’t have sleeves for Early Tapes. I wonder what happened there.

My guess is they didn't repress that for the box and just used the rest of what they had since it probably didn't sell well. 

Just now, spoon said:

No idea what happened but leads me to believe this might be on of the albums that won’t be back in print. Maybe Song Islands too? 

Probably Don't Wake Me Up too since all 3 aren't in his store anymore. The low sales LPs haha

2 hours ago, bear801 said:

If this was $75 cheaper I’d go for it.  I like about half of his stuff.  This box is really really cool though.  

I'm in the same boat. I prefer Mount Eerie, but there's definitely Microphones albums I LOVE and some that I'd probably only spin once or twice on here. I'll still never forgive myself for selling that triple LP version of The Glow Pt. 2.