PO: Pedro The Lion - Havasu LP

Really love this "surprise release." No singles or anything like that, just a few hour heads up that it was dropping at midnight. And in this age where vinyl production takes forever, I greatly prefer artists and labels waiting until they have the physical product in hand to begin sales, rather than having a pre-order like "vinyl ships in 2023."

I ordered the navy and white vinyl from Bandcamp, and have listened to the album through twice--enjoying it, but I need to dig into the lyrics.

2 hours ago, JohnMatrix said:

Ive listened to it a couple times and its a little too slow. Alot of the songs start to blend together into one long song about his childhood. I will have to give it some time and see if it grows on me a little more

I'm with you. Phoenix was way better.

27 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

My initial reaction is the same. Phoenix was amazing, but I admit that all of David's albums are big growers for me. I'm hoping this hits a lot harder after a few more listens.

I'm kind of the opposite in that most of his albums are super immediate for me. This one may be a grower, we'll see. I had my expectations set on something very similar to Phoenix, so that could be coloring my reaction.

7 minutes ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

I had my expectations set on something very similar to Phoenix, so that could be coloring my reaction.

Phoenix definitely colored my reaction. I love that album so much; everything about it is perfect. I assumed that he would connect it thematically, but probably do something different in terms of production and vibe. My assumptions were largely correct, but like I said, we'll see how this sits after more listens. Regardless, I expect the third entry to be different than both Phoenix and Havasu.

• 5 weeks later...