Jump to content

PO Now: Poison the Well - Tear from the Red LP Reissue on Greg Puciato's Label


Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, JohnMatrix said:

Its a good record that I never owned on vinyl back in the day. People still like this stuff. You could ask why people are still buying thousands of records from bands from the 70s or 80s too. Some things stand up and to me Opposite of December of Tear From the Red stand up 20 + years later. Not that hard to really wrap your mind around

That was not my point. Obviously they're good and people still like them, duh. But did PTW sell 2k records in 6 hours in 2002? No. Probably not even close. You could walk down to your local record store whenever and pick up a copy. They were a good band among hundreds of good bands. So, without taking anything away from them or their fans (and I'm one of them), I think it is astonishing to see how PTW and a number of other bands from that era are now able to enjoy these almost instant sell-outs of 20-year-old records. Good for them! Pent-up demand is a huge factor, but of course internet hype and flippers are another.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, ParallelofDeath said:

That was not my point. Obviously they're good and people still like them, duh. But did PTW sell 2k records in 6 hours in 2002? No. Probably not even close. You could walk down to your local record store whenever and pick up a copy. They were a good band among hundreds of good bands. So, without taking anything away from them or their fans (and I'm one of them), I think it is astonishing to see how PTW and a number of other bands from that era are now able to enjoy these almost instant sell-outs of 20-year-old records. Good for them! Pent-up demand is a huge factor, but of course internet hype and flippers are another.

I think a lot of it has to do with vinyl demand too though. A ton of people on this board probably were at the latest in HS in 2002 and a bunch weren't even born. Demand for vinyl back then was crazy low too. It's  a combo of more people enjoying a solid band from the era and an increase in vinyl's popularity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I made $7.25 an hour (CAD)  part time my first job. I wasn't about to start collecting records. Most early/Mid 2000s hardcore/metalcore had a fanbase that was broke ass kids. 15$ on a CD that I can bring anywhere was a no brainer. I wasn't going to buy CDs and vinyl at that age. Its not surprising that 15/20 years later we want to own these records when money is less of an issue (generally). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I bought this on vinyl when it was originally pressed and it was several months after release and readily available for some time if I recall. Vinyl demand just wasn’t there at the time. 
 

It might just be me but opposite of December has aged terribly. Loved it back in the day but can’t listen to it at all now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep I am in the same boat that A) I couldn't really afford vinyl in my 20s so I didn't really get into it until I was about 30 and B ) I just downloaded and burned CDs at that time in my life because I couldn't afford to buy things and because I wanted to be able to listen to things in my car or at my friends houses. Now that money is no issue for me and I spend more time at home I like to have everything on vinyl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chogmatron said:

Yeah I bought this on vinyl when it was originally pressed and it was several months after release and readily available for some time if I recall. Vinyl demand just wasn’t there at the time. 
 

It might just be me but opposite of December has aged terribly. Loved it back in the day but can’t listen to it at all now. 

Records were non existent to me back then, I spent all my cash on cd's... when PTW were in their pomp I couldn't  have bought any of their albums from a store in any format where I live... I paid $40 Australian to get Opposite  of December imported on cd by a store lol

It is still their best album imo...

 

I still don't really get people who buy all the variants though, remasters yes, and/or different pressings where sound quality may vary but of the same pressing? one to listen to is surely enough maybe different formats for portability...

Edited by 2notepockets
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess I'm on the other end of the spectrum, in that I like Opposite as much as ever (the riffs! the epic breakdowns! the tastefully minimalistic songwriting! no clean singing!) and can't get into anything past Tear.

 

I feel like there was a real fork in the road around Y2K where you either stayed with the bands that increasingly used clean vocals or you looked for your heavy music fix elsewhere. I was definitely in the latter camp, due to youthful thickheadedness but also because to me a lot of the singing sounded very generic and predictable (and still does). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree that Opposite is their best work. Its just iconic. but I also think You come before you is amazing. 

 

I really couldn't get into Versions and by the time tropic rot came out I just wasn't following them anymore, but I do have a suspicion that I might dig that record from the little I've heard. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have to agree with Parallel here. I actually bought the Opposite/Red split from someone here on the boards a few years back for $20 but it was my only way of getting Opposite at a decent price.

 

2 hours ago, ParallelofDeath said:

I feel like there was a real fork in the road around Y2K where you either stayed with the bands that increasingly used clean vocals or you looked for your heavy music fix elsewhere. I was definitely in the latter camp, due to youthful thickheadedness but also because to me a lot of the singing sounded very generic and predictable (and still does). 

This!!! I even remember thinking Converge went to soft on No Heros. I ended up getting into noise and power electronics because I needed more intense music. Eh we live and learn lol  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, 1876records said:

I think this specific release is a bit different considering Tear From the Red hasn’t ever had proper, quality vinyl treatment. The first issues of this record on Ides of March and Good Life were garbage. Excited to have something remastered, as a standalone release with a fresh design.

What was wrong with the Ides of March one? 

Edited by redroom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, redroom said:

What was wrong with the Ides of March one? 

my clear gold copy sounds awful. tons of pops and clicks. you can tell it’s in decent shape with no scratches or scuffs, but just sounds so cheap. I did a sound comparison between that copy and the Good Life picture disc from Belgium and the pic disc sounds infinitely better, although it has weak packaging (polybag & insert). this Federal Prisoner release will solve both issues. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×

Please disable AdBlocker

Okay