Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss (Remastered 2LP)

Link to buy: https://yndihalda.bandcamp.com/album/enjoy-eternal-bliss-remastered-15th-anniversary-edition

US shipping is brutal, but it goes from $16 to $8 per unit when you grab three, and I figured I could find a couple board members or friends elsewhere in the US who'd benefit from tht group-buy so I went ahead and did that. Let me know if you're interested in one of the other two.

Q: did you get the full digital album through bandcamp upon purchase?

”You get 4 tracks now (streaming via the free Bandcamp app and also available as a high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more), plus the complete album the moment it’s released”

So the whole LP, or…?

I also just read that there will be US distribution, per the band.

53 minutes ago, alwaysopenmouth said:

I’d want to hear these remastered tracks first before double dipping though.

And lastly, I’d love to see this band live 

Definitely echo that sentiment of wishing I could catch them live someday.

This album has always been something special to me, and felt pretty pivotal in my exploration of post-rock circa 2010, especially.  But I've always, always thought that it could benefit greatly from a remaster.  The bar for a satisfactory remaster is admittedly pretty low, for me.  Just a little more pop and polish – without being too sterile or phoned in – would be perfection.  They nailed it on Under Summer.

@DecayToDeath; not sure if you saw the additional post I had snuck in but I'm curious (if you've had a chance to check) whether or not the full album can be downloaded through bandcamp or not.  It mentions access to 4 tracks now and "the rest" on the release date in March... but one of those descriptions is an oversight.  [Unless there's digital bonus demos or material they're failing to advertise.  Which I highly doubt.]

18 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

This album blew my mind when I was like 17. I forget about it for years at a time, remember and listen to it a ton for a couple months and then forget about it again. I’m really tempted to buy this but don’t feel like spending $33 before shipping right now. 

Good news; according to the band, Burnt Toast will indeed be getting stock.  I'm sure that when they go up, they'll be here.  And probably close to $30 PPD, maybe less.  They've always kept their prices super respectable, I'm curious to see where they'll land for this one.

Also from the band: this press is on eco-mix colored vinyl, so all copies should fluctuate and they'll be completely random... for better or worse.  I haven't ordered any eco-mix variants despite seeing them around more and more.  They look to vary wildly from the grey-purple putty monstrosity you typically think of when you hear "recycled vinyl" or "mystery color" – I just hope they sound better, too.

And finally, Norman Records also has this up and interestingly mentions that it's limited to /500.

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

@DecayToDeath; not sure if you saw the additional post I had snuck in but I'm curious (if you've had a chance to check) whether or not the full album can be downloaded through bandcamp or not.  It mentions access to 4 tracks now and "the rest" on the release date in March... but one of those descriptions is an oversight.  [Unless there's digital bonus demos or material they're failing to advertise.  Which I highly doubt.]

Can't speak for any potential bonus material, but you're correct that my download included all four tracks from the get-go

caught them live twice when they toured both albums, first time in hong kong second time in new york a decade later. phenomenal band live, and i have very fond memories of showing them around hong kong for one day back in 2007, we were all teenagers/ in our early 20s then. easy to forget they are still relatively young as people despite having been around forever. 

alreary owned the cd when it came out and bought the vinyl  from burnt toast years ago, so i’m unsure if i need a third copy of this for $50. i do think the bandcamp variant is much better than the purple swirl that i got from burnt toast. 

On 1/31/2022 at 12:59 PM, MyEnemy said:

They played my venue in 2018, I had never heard of them before that, and it was a very cool and pleasant surprise.

I tried to make it a point to pick up their stuff after that, but never did. Think this a good place to start.

definitely. it’s one of the most beautiful post rock albums i’ve heard. it no longer touches me in the same way it did 15 years ago (i guess that’s what happened to me with post rock in general) but at that time it was one of my most listened albums. i remember having over 100 scrobbles on my last fm for all 4 tracks (it’s a lot when every song is like 15-20 minutes. i’ll probably give it a spin/listen this weekend for old times sake. 

Not sure if you've been keeping up with the fine print of the replies in this thread, but,

– $40 PPD from Burnt Toast with the link I just posted.

– Variant is randomized on "eco-mix" vinyl.  No two copies are the same.  Impossible to guess what you'll end up with.

– Remaster is a beaut.  I don't think I mentioned this last one yet, but I was absolutely hearing nuances I hadn't heard before after all these years.  I don't think it's a night-and-day completely new album experience, but it was still a treat to my ears.

• 5 months later...

So what the shit even happened with this?  Does anyone know?  I guess it does exist but here in the US, I finally got a hold of Burnt Toast who confirmed they still don't have any of their stock, and they have no idea when they're getting it – nothing on the horizon.  According to them, their allotment was lost in transit so they just gave me a refund.  They did, however, say that a repress is in the works.  Probably later than sooner with the state of vinyl production.  I encouraged them to do literally anything other than eco / marble-mix vinyl, even if it prolongs the wait.  We'll see if Burnt is able to actually pass that along to the powers that be.

6 hours ago, Derek™ said:

So what the shit even happened with this?  Does anyone know?  I guess it does exist but here in the US, I finally got a hold of Burnt Toast who confirmed they still don't have any of their stock, and they have no idea when they're getting it – nothing on the horizon.  According to them, their allotment was lost in transit so they just gave me a refund.  They did, however, say that a repress is in the works.  Probably later than sooner with the state of vinyl production.  I encouraged them to do literally anything other than eco / marble-mix vinyl, even if it prolongs the wait.  We'll see if Burnt is able to actually pass that along to the powers that be.

Beyond aesthetics, does eco vinyl sound any different than a standard black slab of wax? I know next to nothing about what it is so I’d like to be schooled haha

9 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I've been emailing back and forth with James from the band, I guess there was some issue with the supply getting over to the United States. I ended up canceling and buying from PopMarket, which showed up yesterday. 

3 hours ago, prowl20 said:

Beyond aesthetics, does eco vinyl sound any different than a standard black slab of wax? I know next to nothing about what it is so I’d like to be schooled haha

Truth be told, I’ve been able to avoid it this entire time – and may keep that streak alive if there is a repress in the works – but from what I’ve read and what I understand, it’s just a budget approach to save money and (arguably more importantly these days,) time.  Instead of waiting for the exact order of colored pellets to achieve the desired variant, the plants are able to just sweep excess pellets from unrelated vinyl presses, and make them work in this “eco”[nomic] variant.  This isn’t an entirely new thing though; you surely remember those “mystery color” presses that ended up being a marbled sludge / brown?  They were big in the mid-late 00s but I haven’t seen them in a minute.  They’re notorious for sounding like butt.  Some of these eco presses resemble those, visually, but it seems like there is maybe a little more attention and though given into lumping certain pellets together… because we are seeing a variety of colors come out of it.  Not just a slew of grey putty marble garbage.

But of the releases featuring this eco option, I haven’t read a single review that gushes about quality.  A lot of complaining (par for the course) and some comments that insist their copy is passable or acceptable.  Which… when these things were like $40 to import, nah.  I’m gonna’ want a little more than that.

I am sure someone out there has an eco press that turned out stunning, or maybe one that’s mostly clear and sounds phenomenal or something.  But it’s too much of a dice roll and I’d hate to wind up with something that is going to look whack and sound less than desirable.  So I’ve been avoiding them as a rule of thumb.

13 minutes ago, DecayToDeath said:

I've been emailing back and forth with James from the band, I guess there was some issue with the supply getting over to the United States. I ended up canceling and buying from PopMarket, which showed up yesterday. 

That’s super annoying.  If you get a chance to spin it, I’d be very curious to hear what you think of the quality on yours.