Bright Eyes - Dead Oceans Reissues & Companion EPs

CeCeCe

5 hours ago, MCDELTAT said:

Apparently there discussion on Reddit. Summed up here on the Twitter verse.

I realize in this day and age this type of behavior is deemed problematic and toxic, but it sounds like he was just shit housed and intentionally trolling the crowd for his own amusement. It is pretty funny to Kaufman a crowd and waste their time, especially because millennials take everything so personal lol

13 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

I realize in this day and age this type of behavior is deemed problematic and toxic, but it sounds like he was just shit housed and intentionally trolling the crowd for his own amusement. It is pretty funny to Kaufman a crowd and waste their time, especially because millennials take everything so personal lol

idk if it's "problematic and toxic" but def sounds like a waste of $$ 

I've seen Conor (in some incarnation) a bunch of times in the past 10 years. There have been performances that were stone cold sober and absolutely wonderful (Carnegie Hall in 2012 comes to mind) and times he was shithoused and it was noticeably bad (about 4-5 years ago) and times he was definitely drunk as hell but still did a great job (the last time I saw Bright Eyes). I think he's probably "fine" as much as drunk can be. Does he probably need help? Yes, we've all heard his songs. Is he super-wealthy? Yeah. He'll be fine, and he's seemingly self-aware enough to know when enough is enough.

TL;DR- what @Shitty Rambo said, and just issue refunds where appropriate and keep making the money for the two normal guys in BE and the rest of the backing band. 

24 minutes ago, veggiecorecords said:

My companion EP's came in yesterday, spun "Collection of Songs" EP and thought it was really cool, excited to listen to the other two today! 

My Collection EP from Dead Oceans/Secretly is now delayed for a few weeks due to "global vinyl pressing delays".  🙃

2 minutes ago, mitchard said:

My Collection EP from Dead Oceans/Secretly is now delayed for a few weeks due to "global vinyl pressing delays".  🙃

I’m glad you said something. Couldn’t find it in my email until I checked my junk folder. My order is delayed too. I ordered all six records so kinda figured a delay was inevitable. 

4 minutes ago, Multiverse said:

After listening to the three of these I think I need to stop preordering Bright Eyes stuff, didn't dig the last album and I'm pretty indifferent about these three EPs

I really like the new version of Solid Jackson but otherwise don’t care for anything on these EPs either. Love the newest album though. 

The new version of Falling Out of Love at This Volume is a jam, but the original has always been one of my favorite Bright Eyes songs. The Collection of Songs EP is still the only one I really felt like I needed to order. Keep passing when I have the opportunity to grab this others... they just haven't done anything for me.

Still excited to see what they decide do with the rest of the albums, though. 

9 hours ago, Multiverse said:

After listening to the three of these I think I need to stop preordering Bright Eyes stuff, didn't dig the last album and I'm pretty indifferent about these three EPs

I agree. They were instant preorders but now I'm not sure why. I liked about half of Cassadaga and haven't really liked anything since. Even the album art has sucked since then now that I think about it. I'll probably take them to amoeba at some point to swap for some store credit.

• 2 months later...
39 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

I suppose I knew this was coming...  I enjoyed the other 3 at like a 7/10 level. I spun them a few times, but I have such a heavy incoming rotation I haven't jumped back to them. Do I pick up these 3 just to keep the collection alive?

I’m considering it after I’ve thought on it a bit. The version of Gold Mine Gutted released today is probably the best song from the Companion EPs so far imo. Regardless of the album being my favorite of these three, the Digital Ash one is the one I have been interested in hearing the most. I could really do without all of these guest musicians being added though. 

Hearing Gold Mine I think puts into perspective what sound so lifeless about these to me--if these were live session recordings I think I might enjoy them more but there's this disingenuous feeling to these recordings, something about trying to force life back into songs that were great as-is

iunno it might just be me but all of the companion stuff has fallen flat for me & I definitely don't feel the need to own these after purchasing and never spinning the first three

(which if anyone wants for a deal lmk lol)

• 8 months later...
5 hours ago, porkdad said:

Damn, I guess they’re still excluding the last five songs that were on the original press. “It’s Cool, We Can Still Be Friends” is my favorite Bright Eyes song and it doesn’t appear on the repress. :( 

edit: according to Reddit, I stand wrong. I hope this is the case 

Edited by prowl20