PO: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Unlimited Love - April 1st, 2022

I'm a RHCP fan...been into them since I first listened to Uplift Mofo Party Plan all those many moons ago. I have enjoyed their progression from straight-up punk funk sound to funky-ass good times music to the more intricate musicianship that was brought in when Frusciante joined and expanded both Flea's and Chad Smith's skills. Kiedis has been consistent to say the least...and nothing wrong with that. They did lose me a bit after By The Way...that record felt inconsistent...but I am glad that Frusciante is back in the fold and elevating the band 

To me...Mother's Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magik...and to an extent Californication...will always be their peak...and I am OK with that. Haters be damned. 

And One Hot Minute had its charm...I'm a huge Jane's Addiction fan...esp. the classic lineup...so having Navarro, who is a talented guitarist and musician in his own right, be a part of the RHCP for that record, it was an interesting and unusual sound and feel for the band. 

Nice to hear, Juan. To me, By The Way's mellowness and experimentation in the second half of the album really sets it apart from the other albums and is probably my favourite. 

Stadium Arcadium, I always see people talk about it as if it was chock-full of filler but again, its mellowness and less-is-more guitar work really makes it great for me.

I felt Californication had great singles, some of my favourite songs ever, but as a cohesive whole the album lacks a bit of personality.

6 minutes ago, brandy said:

Nice to hear, Juan. To me, By The Way's mellowness and experimentation in the second half of the album really sets it apart from the other albums and is probably my favourite. 

Stadium Arcadium, I always see people talk about it as if it was chock-full of filler but again, its mellowness and less-is-more guitar work really makes it great for me.

I felt Californication had great singles, some of my favourite songs ever, but as a cohesive whole the album lacks a bit of personality.

Don't get me wrong...I enjoy By The Way a whole deal...while I appreciate and still enjoy their later "mellowness & experimentation" as you put it...which is spot-on...I guess I'm still stuck in the 80's/90's mindset of the Peppers being a funk party band per se. And I do love all that Frusciante has brought to the band. For as young as he was when he initially joined, he pushed the other members to elevate their skills. 

All that being said...I do like the new single "Black Summer"...it's got an ease and mellowness right now that feels nice and comfy. And I can dig that. 

3 hours ago, zuck said:

Here's my hot take... I think I'm With You is a great album & probably in my top 5 of theirs.

I'm With You is pretty great, I don't think that's a crazy opinion.

For as popular a band as RHCP is they are consistently good enough. I agree there is definitely some filler and generally poor tracks on some of their albums but overall they scratch that itch. Same can't be said for some of the remaining popular "arena rock" bands still around. I'm really hopeful for the return of Frusciante so will take a leap of faith preorder on this. Went for the target red.

Did anyone buy tickets for the upcoming tour? I really wanted to check them out again since I really enjoyed the last one but tickets are so god damn expensive I found it hard to justify.

27 minutes ago, pepperonigin said:

I'm With You is pretty great, I don't think that's a crazy opinion.

For as popular a band as RHCP is they are consistently good enough. I agree there is definitely some filler and generally poor tracks on some of their albums but overall they scratch that itch. Same can't be said for some of the remaining popular "arena rock" bands still around. I'm really hopeful for the return of Frusciante so will take a leap of faith preorder on this. Went for the target red.

Did anyone buy tickets for the upcoming tour? I really wanted to check them out again since I really enjoyed the last one but tickets are so god damn expensive I found it hard to justify.

I bought a ticket.  It is the most expensive one I have ever bought. This band has been high on my bucket list for years so I choked it down. And the stokes is a plus. I’m hoping the huge cost results in an extravagant stage setup. 

2 hours ago, axisrecapital said:

I love how TWO retailers claim to have exclusive white vinyl. 
at least this one ships to the USA. 

So finally saw the video on YouTube. They really haven't changed much(which is good I guess). But my wife really wants it. So I went ahead and pre-ordered her the indie variant. Trying not to spend too much on vinyl but can't stop the sickness... maybe Biden can help me with a safe vinyl kit 👀 

42 minutes ago, faaip de oiad said:

So finally saw the video on YouTube. They really haven't changed much(which is good I guess). But my wife really wants it. So I went ahead and pre-ordered her the indie variant. Trying not to spend too much on vinyl but can't stop the sickness... maybe Biden can help me with a safe vinyl kit 👀 

I mean it is your crack so it would make sense.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 3:10 PM, axisrecapital said:

These guys canceled my order just now without any explanation. I assumed it was because they oversold, but the preorder is still up. 
I reordered again to see what happens.