PO: THESE ARMS ARE SNAKES - DUCT TAPE & SHIVERING CROWS 2xLP (Rarities Collection) + TOUR DATES + Oxeneers... and Easter reissues!!!

jhulud

Just wanted to take the time to point out that at least the first three tracks on this are definitely a new mix from their original releases. They sound so much fuller and more spread out and articulate. Its crazy. I think I detect possibly even an alternative vocal take in the verses of either "Trix" or "Camera Shy" as well. I can't remember if it feels that way for both or just one of them. The rest of the songs still feel pretty much the same but I haven't had the time to really focus. I just know when I first spun this on my turntable and when I played the digital copy through my car stereo I noticed those first three songs really pop in a whole new way. I think its amazing. Sometimes people go back and mix things differently and it feels wrong but not this time. This is purely better.

30 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

I for the most part agree. I do wish there was a little more care in getting loudness levels matched across the comp. Side A for example is super quiet on average while side D is quite loud. It's not a big deal on my system, but just something that stuck out when I spun it.

I haven't even played side D on my copy yet. I just wasn't very interested in the demos of the EP but I've heard them on the digital and didn't notice any glaring discrepancies in volume. I believe you when you say you noticed it though. I have noticed there being differing loudness peaks from side to side on a single releases of several records lately though. I wonder if they're aiming to maximize loudness on sides that have less content these days simply because the format allows for it. It really goes against the point of doing a master across multiple sides of the same album though. Dynamic consistency with clean, unclipped audio should be the goal.

I really wish I could be a mastering engineer. I'd kill it.

13 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

I have noticed there being differing loudness peaks from side to side on a single releases of several records lately though. I wonder if they're aiming to maximize loudness on sides that have less content these days simply because the format allows for it. It really goes against the point of doing a master across multiple sides of the same album though. Dynamic consistency with clean, unclipped audio should be the goal.

I wondered this as well, and really hope it's not a trend. I would rather have the album be consistently quieter overall than jump around from side to side.

There may not be a huge perceived distance when playing digitally on your computer on a small setup, but I definitely noticed it with this cranked on my setup.

Just now, throwgncpr said:

I wondered this as well, and really hope it's not a trend. I would rather have the album be consistently quieter overall than jump around from side to side.

There may not be a huge perceived distance when playing digitally on your computer on a small setup, but I definitely noticed it with this cranked on my setup.

Lately my digital copy of anything has been mostly experienced in my car which is definitely more akin to my home hi-fi setup than a set of computer speakers.  I tend to move my volume knob around a lot while listening whether at home or in my car so I'm sure I would likely miss any discrepancy for that reason alone. I'll try leaving the volume set in one place and scroll through the tracks and maybe move the needle around a bit to see if I notice anything like that.

Jade Tree reissues of Oxeneers... and Easter are up now

Oxeneers...

PolyVinyl Pink /300: Oxeneers or The Lion Sleeps When Its Antelope Go Home - Polyvinyl Records - Shop Vinyl, Merch, Music and More

BrooklynVegan Coke Bottle Clear /300: THESE ARMS ARE SNAKES 'OXENEERS OR THE LION SLEEPS WHEN ITS ANTELOPE G (brooklynvegan.com)

Easter

BrooklynVegan Clear Pink /300: THESE ARMS ARE SNAKES 'EASTER' LIMITED EDITION TRANSLUCENT PINK LP — O (brooklynvegan.com)

There are also indie exclusives. 

6 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

I really want both of those pinks but don’t want to order from two different places.

I'm conflicted since pink fits both records pretty well, but I really don't want to have 2 pink TAAS records.  (Even if one is translucent and one is marble.)  I ended up going with the BV variants to save on shipping.  Plus, like Juan said, coke bottle clear will always have my heart... even if it's a bit of an odd choice for Oxeneers.

5 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I'm conflicted since pink fits both records pretty well, but I really don't want to have 2 pink TAAS records.  (Even if one is translucent and one is marble.)  I ended up going with the BV variants to save on shipping.  Plus, like Juan said, coke bottle clear will always have my heart... even if it's a bit of an odd choice for Oxeneers.

I’m weak-willed and snagged the Polyvinyl pink. It’s probably my favorite vinyl color for some reason and Oxeneers is my favorite TAAS record. My Tail Swallower and Duct Tape are both pink too, so I might as well go for a whole set. I do really love coke bottle though.

4 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

I’m weak-willed and snagged the Polyvinyl pink. It’s probably my favorite vinyl color for some reason and Oxeneers is my favorite TAAS record. My Tail Swallower and Duct Tape are both pink too, so I might as well go for a whole set. I do really love coke bottle though.

You’re in too deep to go back; you may as well grab that pink Easter and have the full set.

I’ve been to three shows this past month and every act had records but they were all $30+ (Even Godspeed was selling F#A# for $30 and that was a record that you could routinely get for like $18 pre-pandemic)

these prices suck but I guess that’s the new normal, got the clear oxeneers and the pink Easter

11 minutes ago, alwaysopenmouth said:

I’ve been to three shows this past month and every act had records but they were all $30+ (Even Godspeed was selling F#A# for $30 and that was a record that you could routinely get for like $18 pre-pandemic)

these prices suck but I guess that’s the new normal, got the clear oxeneers and the pink Easter

You’re right. Going through my orders over the past 3-4 months, $30 has been the average for the most part. I quit buying records around 2015 when I thought single LPs for $20 was out of hand and only started buying records again recently. I’m still not used to these prices and am surprised every time I go to buy something. 

• jhulud changed the title to PO: THESE ARMS ARE SNAKES - DUCT TAPE & SHIVERING CROWS 2xLP (Rarities Collection) + TOUR DATES + Oxeneers... and Easter reissues!!!