PO: THESE ARMS ARE SNAKES - DUCT TAPE & SHIVERING CROWS 2xLP (Rarities Collection) + TOUR DATES + Oxeneers... and Easter reissues!!!

jhulud

7 minutes ago, jhulud said:

I will add this much to this. This Chicago show felt immensely more energetic…esp. Steve…than the two Seattle “final” shows I caught last year. It was as if they were re-energized. Not saying the Seattle shows were lame, quite the opposite & they killed it. But there was a different kind of magic in Chicago. And I’m thrilled that I was there to witness it. 

Dude, I fuckin' FELT THAT. Like it was wild. I actually ran into Steve before their set in the alley behind LH (which is its own wild story) and he expressed to me that he was a little nervous and that there seemed to be "a lot of people" in attendance. I was like "no, man. You're golden. Its going to be beautiful. I'll see you in there." I don't know if that helped him at all or if it was a totally neutral experience that he forgot seconds after we talked. He seemed pretty much already intoxicated at that point but still very much functional.  I'm always surprised by the way he sounds in speech doing his banter between songs that the same guy is actually handling his business while the music is going.

One of the last times I saw them in 2009, he was super sloshed up there and still asking fans to grab him another beer which several people in attendance did oblige. haha. He was still doing his shit but clearly hammered. I don't know what it was but you're right about the energy in that place. I can still feel it. I just hope they'll do more than this small run of dates and these reissues. I want them back as an active band to never miss again. Dave from Russian Circles was also there. I saw him and Brian Cook in the alley taking a photo while Young Widows were still playing. Also noticed Dave up in the VIP balcony during the TAAS set.

4 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

If you can snatch a set list or just take note of the set somehow, that would be awesome but more than anything enjoy being in the moment. I was so ecstatic during the show. I just couldn't believe I was seeing them again after the '09 breakup. Plus they were absolutely on fire. Steve's performance was particularly noteworthy as he's the only band member who can really get away with any slop or drop off in the execution of his parts and has traditionally taken advantage of that at least more so toward the end of their first run as a band. He was seriously hitting the whole night on Thursday though. In many live shows he doesn't typically reach the pitch he has on the recordings but for most of the show he was performing at the same range as the recordings. It was killer.

I'll try my best to take notes but I'm actually pretty horrible at this type of stuff and funny enough rely on Setlist FM later even at shows that I attend. Haha. I'm going with a good friend maybe he might help out!

3 minutes ago, GradedOnACurve said:

I'll try my best to take notes but I'm actually pretty horrible at this type of stuff and funny enough rely on Setlist FM later even at shows that I attend. Haha. I'm going with a good friend maybe he might help out!

No sweat! I figured I'd ask. But really, focus on being in the moment as much as possible. This band is so tight and energetic, its so cool to just watch and listen to them burn the place down.

7 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

No sweat! I figured I'd ask. But really, focus on being in the moment as much as possible. This band is so tight and energetic, its so cool to just watch and listen to them burn the place down.

Off the top of my head the setlist was largely the same, but some songs were arranged differently than the Chicago list. Would've been nice to hear Your Pearly Whites. Someone shouted it out and the opening notes were played but that was it.

They were so good and I know they have crazy energy, but is it normal for Steve's stage banter to be drunk/indecipherable? Regardless, the wife and I were in the front and took a bunch of video. There was only one crowd surfer the whole night...and it was Steve. Haha.

Edited by GradedOnACurve

On 6/19/2022 at 12:24 AM, GradedOnACurve said:

Off the top of my head the setlist was largely the same, but some songs were arranged differently than the Chicago list. Would've been nice to hear Your Pearly Whites. Someone shouted it out and the opening notes were played but that was it.

They were so good and I know they have crazy energy, but is it normal for Steve's stage banter to be drunk/indecipherable? Regardless, the wife and I were in the front and took a bunch of video. There was only one crowd surfer the whole night...and it was Steve. Haha.

Steve will very much consistently be piss faced drunk at (read: before and during) every show and the banter absolutely follows suit. I normally can never understand singers on stages when they are speaking between songs. Something about the reverb and echo and the non-orated way people tend to speak through mics just makes it very difficult for me to decipher what almost anyone is saying in those scenarios.

That said I could make out a couple of his comments in Chicago and it was pretty funny. Can't remember any of it now though.

That's actually really cool that they even played the opening notes when they heard the request. It would have been better if they had just played it of course, lol. That is one of my top favorite tracks by TAAS.

Edited by mcpherson123

3 minutes ago, xfactor675 said:

@mcpherson123Did you eventually switch from deepdiscount with the reissues? The pre-order button changed to add to cart so they have it in hand, and probably ship them out in a day or 2. 

So... haha... I had two different orders in at deepdiscount each order with a copy of both Oxeneers and Easter. The first order was more expensive than the second one I made so since I actually purchased a copy of each at the Chicago show I cancelled the more expensive order. I still have one order for both LP's at deepdiscount right now and an order from bestbuy.com containing one of each album. So I have a copy of each at home right now and two copies of each on the way.

I'm sick. lol

1 minute ago, mcpherson123 said:

So... haha... I had two different orders in at deepdiscount each order with a copy of both Oxeneers and Easter. The first order was more expensive than the second one I made so since I actually purchased a copy of each at the Chicago show I cancelled the more expensive order. I still have one order for both LP's at deepdiscount right now and an order from bestbuy.com containing one of each album. So I have a copy of each at home right now and two copies of each on the way.

I'm sick. lol

that's called support! 

17 hours ago, GradedOnACurve said:

Word is band had merch money taken from them at the Brooklyn show. No official statement, but I heard it secondhand. That's a bummer if true. I bought a T-shirt from them.

That sucks, almost everyone I saw buying merch in Chicago was using a credit card so hopefully they didn't take a big hit. 

1 hour ago, Negron said:

I'll be more than happy to send them some cash for those indie variants once those west coast shows are done.

Hoping they have some leftovers!

I  got Oxeneers and Easter from them in Chicago and both ended up being black so I'm assuming that is all they had with them.

1 hour ago, Negron said:

Good to know!

Shipping is 30/record from the few indie stores that do ship to Canada, so it might just be a matter finding the cheapest ship, regardless of variant.

I've been holding out for record stores in Toronto to get some but, the ones I inquired with had no means to order.

That sucks. Are you sure there isn't a New York store that could ship it to you for a much cheaper rate? I mean Toronto touches borders physically with two different United States.

2 hours ago, Negron said:

Good to know!

Shipping is 30/record from the few indie stores that do ship to Canada, so it might just be a matter finding the cheapest ship, regardless of variant.

I've been holding out for record stores in Toronto to get some but, the ones I inquired with had no means to order.

I highly recommend you to use ship7 like I do.  They are mail-forwarding company, and not only you can buy stuff from stores that only ship the us, you save a ton on shipping. They let you store the orders for up to 60 days and you can ship different orders together. I usually wait till I have 8-10 (im actually waiting for said TAAS indie exclusives to come in) records and it costs around 12-13 dollars per record to ship to Europe, so i save a lot using this instead of getting everything shipped directly from the label. 

You can calculate here

https://ship7.com/prices

16 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

That sucks. Are you sure there isn't a New York store that could ship it to you for a much cheaper rate? I mean Toronto touches borders physically with two different United States.

When i go through a lot of the indie stores, nearly all of them use the same shipping structure so shipping prices are identical. I could only find one or two willing to ship international but no difference in price.

I'll give that Ship7 a look but it is mostly the cost of shipping across Canada. It's incredibly expensive to even ship domestically here but, the prices for these records are exceptionally high.