Transporting collection (40) abroad advice?

I have a smallish collection of about 40 records that I would love to bring with me on my move to Paris from D.C. Does anyone have experience or advice about the best way to transport them?

I'm paranoid about them being broken if I send with a shipping container, but that does seem to be the best idea so far. Unfortunately the shipping container is actually a friend of my partner who is also moving to Paris, and there is not any guarantee they will even have room for it. What would be the best backup plan?

34 minutes ago, vinividivinyle said:

I have a smallish collection of about 40 records that I would love to bring with me on my move to Paris from D.C. Does anyone have experience or advice about the best way to transport them?

I'm paranoid about them being broken if I send with a shipping container, but that does seem to be the best idea so far. Unfortunately the shipping container is actually a friend of my partner who is also moving to Paris, and there is not any guarantee they will even have room for it. What would be the best backup plan?

40 records? I'd just buy a rigid, locking DJ box and check them on the plane.

You're moving to Paris in the spring! I'm so jealous!

Ok, assuming that you do NOT want to bring the records on the plane (because you probably have a lot of other personal belongings to bring) and that your friend's container is your best option, here is exactly what I would do:

Get a 14x14x14" box (available on Amazon). They come in different degrees of sturdiness, get the thickest cardboard option available. You're going to use clothes (preferably T-shirts or towels, something the folds flat) and bubble wrap to pack. Wrap your records in bubble wrap as tightly as possible in packs of ten. On the bottom of the box, put down a firm 1" layer of clothes (about three T-shirts worth). Then arrange the records in the middle of the box. You should have at least half an inch to spare on each side, probably more on two sides, since, as everyone has been helpful to point out, you only have 40 records (which is a great start to a collection). Gently but firmly stuff the sides and top of the box around the records with clothes, as much as you can fit, then seal it. Why not use more bubble wrap to stuff the box? Because fabric can be packed more tightly, plus it frees up suitcase space. The key to this is sufficient padding + tight packaging, so nothing can move around inside the box no matter how roughly it's handled or damaged if it falls on its corner. That should do it. Good luck!

Thank you for the assistance everyone! As Parallel of Death mentioned, I am a little overpacked for bringing on the plane itself right now, but the box idea sounds perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/Vaultz-VZ00490-Locking-Storage-Combination/dp/B07BFS5YYQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1OSXW1YOQMDEZ&keywords=travel+storage+box+vinyl&qid=1645713128&sprefix=travel+storage+box+vinyl%2Caps%2C56&sr=8-1 If anyone has thoughts on this I'd be interested in hearing it. Probably just going to get it though. 

8 minutes ago, vinividivinyle said:

Thank you for the assistance everyone! As Parallel of Death mentioned, I am a little overpacked for bringing on the plane itself right now, but the box idea sounds perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/Vaultz-VZ00490-Locking-Storage-Combination/dp/B07BFS5YYQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1OSXW1YOQMDEZ&keywords=travel+storage+box+vinyl&qid=1645713128&sprefix=travel+storage+box+vinyl%2Caps%2C56&sr=8-1 If anyone has thoughts on this I'd be interested in hearing it. Probably just going to get it though. 

This one looks promising, if you want to go the carry-on route:

https://www.amazon.com/Trunab-Carrying-Storage-Dividers-Collection/dp/B08PY4SL61?crid=2CE9VBJ1ZTXOP&keywords=eurolite+70+lp&qid=1645713778&s=musical-instruments&sprefix=eurolite+70+lp%2Cmi%2C69&sr=1-14&linkCode=ll1&tag=substream08-20&linkId=36dcbbe289848193ada73dc4e598a2d4&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl