Russian Circles represses

1 hour ago, Boaty McBoatface said:

I’ve been on a huge post-rock kick this past year. If I enjoy Caspian, ITTCT, TWDY, and EITS, will I like Russian Circles? Asking before I delve into their discography. 

RC are a little more post-metal than a lot of those bands.  Less tremolo, more crunchy riffs and dirty bass tones. 👌

On 3/5/2022 at 1:55 PM, Chrundle The Great said:

guys, we should really be boycotting these LPs at a time like this

You know, they actually posted that people had been hounding them about their stance on the current war between Russia and Ukraine and that is absolutely stupid. The band of course handled it very diplomatically but I'm certain the ones who questioned them are all people who don't know the first thing about what those countries are even in conflict over or how the US government has been prodding both countries into this current situation.

I consider myself more sensitive than most people to such issues as social justice and movements toward peace but I was galled to find out that people wanted to make sure Russian Circles weren't "Putin's buddies"...

Like, how literal and lacking in any form of subtlety can you be? People are stupid.

"Russian Circles?!?!? An instrumental post rock band from Chicago??!!? I hope they're not shelling Ukrainians!!!!"

Edited by mcpherson123

5 hours ago, The Vool said:

Is this getting into the ISIS direction...? :D😵

It started to feel like that which even the ISIS "problem" was completely stupid. I understand why they tiptoed around it but the public creating that reactionary alarmism around their name was pathetic and so painfully "murika." I did find that ISIS performing under the name Celestial kind of added some mystical ambiance for me when they did that benefit show back a few years ago. That actually feels like a really cool name for a band and I would totally rip it if I could ever get something off the ground.

8 hours ago, seku said:

Hope they are not going to end up as Russian Circles the Band.

People are stupid.

Fuck Putin.

Haha! Seems like that wouldn't in particular alleviate the way that people are interpreting the name as the keyword "Russian" alone seems to be inherently incriminating in this case. They'd have to become "Circles" or "Circles The Band" to fend off the suspicion.

Yes, people are stupid.

Fuck Putin, yes; but also fuck the Azov Battalion, fuck NATO, fuck the US Military Industrial Complex, fuck Biden, fuck Zelensky, fuck Trump, fuck Obama, fuck the Bush family, fuck the Clinton's, fuck Reagan and so on.

2 hours ago, Boaty McBoatface said:

Enough politics. 
This band fucking rules. 
ORDERED. 

🤘🏻

Fair. That's on me.

I'm going to wait to see Guidance come up in retail for teh blakzness as I've misplaced my original copy. That album didn't truly speak to me but it was much better than Memorial for me and I need to have it for completion's sake. Still, those two albums are probably the weakest in terms of my response to them. Blood Year was an outstanding return to form and saw the band pulling out tricks I don't think I've ever heard from them before. There's even a near-Death-Metal moment.

• 1 month later...

For anyone who may have forgot or hadn't heard... the boys are dropping a new album this year.  They're starting to debut new material in live settings, it looks like.  Here's the latest number.  Pretty by-the-numbers for Russian Circles, which is great news if you're like me and don't get that same scratch from much else these days.  Band is consistent as hell, if nothing else – I've really enjoyed everything they've put out to date, including the last album that people seem to be so-so about.

11 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Bleh.  Would love another RC 2LP, it's been too long.  I think it's just Geneva, right?

Correct, so far just Geneva. The reason is Sargent House only booked for a single LP pressing at the plant, and if they want to change it to 2xLP, they have to get back in the queue and wait for a long time to get it pressed. Something like that.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...