PO Now: Denzel Curry - Melt My Eyez, See Your Future

Having the weekend to listen a few times, I am just not certain this project worked for me. I've loved pretty much everything else Denzel has released starting with Imperial, but I just find myself not connecting here. There are some fun tracks, and I got into the second half moreso than the first (barring Walking), but while the whole record sounds very clean, I just didn't feel much. Not dismissing it yet, but for what I understood to be a very introspective record, I can't help but feel that the vibes are there, but the writing isn't. Trouble  being a great example of me loving the sound of the song, but the content just feels very vague and somewhat generic. Hopeful it'll grow on me with some more time. 

15 hours ago, Coast said:

Having the weekend to listen a few times, I am just not certain this project worked for me. I've loved pretty much everything else Denzel has released starting with Imperial, but I just find myself not connecting here. There are some fun tracks, and I got into the second half moreso than the first (barring Walking), but while the whole record sounds very clean, I just didn't feel much. Not dismissing it yet, but for what I understood to be a very introspective record, I can't help but feel that the vibes are there, but the writing isn't. Trouble  being a great example of me loving the sound of the song, but the content just feels very vague and somewhat generic. Hopeful it'll grow on me with some more time. 

I will agree, I feel lyrically this is a step back for Denzel. 1st listen I enjoyed it, 2nd listen I was underwhelmed and 3rd listen its starting to grow on me again. Gonna give this one time. Took me 4-5 listens to really vibe on Unlocked and now I LOVE that record. Gonna keep spinning it

I was actually bummed after my first listen but here I am on number 6 and I think it's one of my favorite albums this year. I'd say give it time to be OK with minimal bangers.

Disagree with the writing being worse than older stuff just cuz one of his lines is "Run the jewels cuz I kill the mic on any LP" and that's the line of the year.

41 minutes ago, Coldplay31169 said:

I was actually bummed after my first listen but here I am on number 6 and I think it's one of my favorite albums this year. I'd say give it time to be OK with minimal bangers.

I do find myself gravitating towards the higher-energy tracks, so I do agree with you that I probably need to adjust in that regard. 

53 minutes ago, porkdad said:

Even tho there’s an absence of banger after banger, I think it’s a good balanced record. His interview with Fantano was nice perspective for the record. This album, like the latest Vince Staples record, will probably keep growing on me.

To me, this record has a 'To Pimp a Butterfly' Vibe'