PO Now: Oceansize - Everyone Into Position

6 hours ago, Kyte30351 said:

As suggested by him on The Facebook I reached out to my local store to see if they could order me a copy. They said they would look into it, but they "believe it might be a direct to customer release", whatever that means.

You can reserve this at Diverse Vinyl, which I did. But it will be much cheaper for me to get this at the Beggars website.

I guess I will keep trying…

Edited by Plarocks

7 minutes ago, danyc said:

Mike said on his FB post this new pressing has a slight remastering, so makes me wonder how it will sound compared to the other pressings?

I caught that too. I believe it said "lightly remastered" so I'm guessing that means they attempted to refrain from deviating too far from the engineering notes/perceived qualities on the initial pressing's mastering parameters.

I have an original of this and recently scored an original Effloresce. I don't recall anything particularly wrong with the mastering on my copy of EIP but its been a while since I've listened to it. Its a great album and checks pretty much all of my boxes for the type of music that it is but as an album, maybe its the sequencing, but I find it a bit less of a satisfying listen than Effloresce which for all of its greatness, isn't all that much different of an album compared to EIP. It feels overall a bit less busy than EIP but "busy" isn't necessarily a bad thing as I'm a pretty big TMV fan and it doesn't get much busier than that while still maintaining coherence. I guess Dillinger Escape Plan can come off much busier than either TMV or Oceansize at certain times. I also dig them but admittedly haven't spun anything by them in some time. Still, I know I have great fondness for EIP but I don't find myself going back to it that much. I played it excessively around early to mid-2008. Maybe I got my fill on replays but I still insist its part of "my music." I like Frames a lot but there is some sluggishness happening around the middle of that album that make it tough to get back into. I was super into it when it first released though. Now that I think about it both Frames and EIP were integral soundtracks to some very difficult and dark times of my life so maybe that accounts for why they are so difficult to revisit. Its only dawning on me right now that that could be the reason.

Anyway, Oceansize, man. Great band.

On 3/26/2022 at 12:36 PM, mcpherson123 said:

I caught that too. I believe it said "lightly remastered" so I'm guessing that means they attempted to refrain from deviating too far from the engineering notes/perceived qualities on the initial pressing's mastering parameters.

I have an original of this and recently scored an original Effloresce. I don't recall anything particularly wrong with the mastering on my copy of EIP but its been a while since I've listened to it. Its a great album and checks pretty much all of my boxes for the type of music that it is but as an album, maybe its the sequencing, but I find it a bit less of a satisfying listen than Effloresce which for all of its greatness, isn't all that much different of an album compared to EIP. It feels overall a bit less busy than EIP but "busy" isn't necessarily a bad thing as I'm a pretty big TMV fan and it doesn't get much busier than that while still maintaining coherence. I guess Dillinger Escape Plan can come off much busier than either TMV or Oceansize at certain times. I also dig them but admittedly haven't spun anything by them in some time. Still, I know I have great fondness for EIP but I don't find myself going back to it that much. I played it excessively around early to mid-2008. Maybe I got my fill on replays but I still insist its part of "my music." I like Frames a lot but there is some sluggishness happening around the middle of that album that make it tough to get back into. I was super into it when it first released though. Now that I think about it both Frames and EIP were integral soundtracks to some very difficult and dark times of my life so maybe that accounts for why they are so difficult to revisit. Its only dawning on me right now that that could be the reason.

Anyway, Oceansize, man. Great band.

I'm with you on EIP being too busy sometimes.  I enjoy it, but I enjoy Effloresce and Frames much, much, much more.  There's more of a balance of calm to chaos on those, I guess.  EIP is a lot of chaos. 

I have originals of all full lengths, and I have the remaster of Effloresce too.  They're both good.  I would say that the remaster is a bit of an improvement, it just sounds sturdier.  The original is still enjoyable, but it's like you just went from a 320mp3 to a wav.  The 320 was definitely enjoyable, but the wav is just a bit better. 

On another note, does anybody know why Mike says this:  "The creatively lauded and commercially maligned sophomore album by Oceansize has, unbelievably, earned its self a reissue!"

18 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

On another note, does anybody know why Mike says this:  "The creatively lauded and commercially maligned sophomore album by Oceansize has, unbelievably, earned its self a reissue!"

Well, it is just that. People love the album, but it got mixed reviews from critics and possibly the label did nothing to help them with it (also this release being the last on Beggars is a telltale sign of that).

7 hours ago, whoa said:

Well, it is just that. People love the album, but it got mixed reviews from critics and possibly the label did nothing to help them with it (also this release being the last on Beggars is a telltale sign of that).

I remember Mike saying it was their biggest effort to hit commercial success.  Music for a Nurse was on an Orange commercial, Meredith was featured in the show The OC.  There was a big push to get them into the mainstream.  When it wasn’t successful, they said fuck it and made Frames as a response.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 7:03 PM, copelandkid said:

this is impossible to find online, anyone seeing these pop up in US stores? would love to get my hands on one...

replying to myself here in case it helps anyone else looking. while Google results have been very thin, these seem to be popping up on Discogs from US record shops. so i'm guessing these are trickling into US stores now. good place to check if you've been looking for one for cheaper than say a HHV import. got mine from a shop in KS via Discogs for $35 shipped!