Need help with a PayPal dispute on a discogs transaction

Looking for some help from the board because it’s been SO long since I’ve dealt with a shitty seller.  I bought a record on discogs and received the wrong record. I have transcripts with the seller because I assumed it was an honest mistake, and when I finally asked for a refund they stopped responding. I opened a PayPal case and they just closed it because the seller provided the tracking info saying I received a package essentially. I’m not seeing an option to reopen this case. Again, it’s been a long time so looking for any and all help here. Thank you 🙏🏼

50 minutes ago, angryalan said:

How did you pay on PayPal? If it was a credit card you can probably dispute the charge.

Agree. I hardly ever use CC via PayPal, but this is that one instance where you will have recourse for receiving a wrong item or one not as described, and win. That may be why PP sided with the seller (PP does not like you using CC as primary).

Since it was "delivered" it's your word against the seller's and there are plenty of scammers out there saying they didn't receive an item or damaged, etc. and getting free records.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, Willow_Tree_Records said:

Looking for some help from the board because it’s been SO long since I’ve dealt with a shitty seller.  I bought a record on discogs and received the wrong record. I have transcripts with the seller because I assumed it was an honest mistake, and when I finally asked for a refund they stopped responding. I opened a PayPal case and they just closed it because the seller provided the tracking info saying I received a package essentially. I’m not seeing an option to reopen this case. Again, it’s been a long time so looking for any and all help here. Thank you 🙏🏼

This isn't the most helpful answer but I would recommend giving Paypal a call and talking to a real person. Your situation definitely needs some human intervention at Paypal.

1 (888) 221-1161

In my experience PayPal sides with the buyer like 99.9% of the time if you filed a "item not as described" case. But if you filed a "item not received" case I could see them going with the seller since there is tracking. Either way call them and see what is up. PayPal  will do whatever your credit card decides if you end up having to go that route. It may take a while, but you'll get your money back.

16 hours ago, Willow_Tree_Records said:

I think you can literally call PayPal and talk to a person. I think I remember doing that. 

Isn't there a dispute option that's specifically for "incorrect or missing item(s)" or something along those lines? If the automated system has already closed the case you don't have any other choice but to call PayPal and explain the situation. You should also consider using a credit card to fund PayPal transactions that are with independent sellers to get another layer of protection.

Thanks, everyone. I want to say that when I filed the dispute I had to pick item not received. They also used to have an appeal feature which is no longer an option. I guess I’ll call him them and honestly I’m so mad about the whole thing I might just report it to my CC company and have to deal with getting a new card. Sending PMA to all the good sellers out there that make this hobby not a nightmare. 

21 hours ago, Willow_Tree_Records said:

I called them to check in on a dispute and they manually changed it to “incorrect order received” or something like that because I initially had it set to “item not received.” On the phone they told me that I would lose the first claim because the tracking provided would actually prove I did receive AN item. Once it closed on “incorrect (or incomplete?) order received”, I won. 

On 4/16/2022 at 3:21 PM, Willow_Tree_Records said:

Thanks, everyone. I want to say that when I filed the dispute I had to pick item not received. They also used to have an appeal feature which is no longer an option. I guess I’ll call him them and honestly I’m so mad about the whole thing I might just report it to my CC company and have to deal with getting a new card. Sending PMA to all the good sellers out there that make this hobby not a nightmare. 

Just to be clear, reporting it to the CC would be requesting a charge reversal for item not received/as described, not suggesting you should claim you didnt make the charge (i.e. card stolen)