Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - reissues

29 minutes ago, OldKentuckyShark said:

I think I figured out the Sound Opinion stuff finally.  

the 11LP had a cd with the full performance including the songs and interviews.  

The 7LP version has the songs on vinyl but doesn’t include the interviews.  

I'm not so sure. Unless they cut a side differently, the 11LP description has each Demo set as having 2 LPs (well, 6 LPs of demos over 3 collections, so I guess 2 per set). One of those 3 sets is in the 7LP set plus the 5 LPs from the album and the live show, thats 7 discs. So unless one of those sides was cut differently, I'm not sure where the Sound Opinion live cuts are. 

The DL is only other offering with just the live takes from SO (the 8CD and 11LP having the full broadcast). Makes me think maybe the SO cuts are DL only. I guess we'll see, but I'll be a little bummed if those 5 songs are only available on the 7LP set, when they could have easily been included on the 11 too.

14 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

I'm not so sure. Unless they cut a side differently, the 11LP description has each Demo set as having 2 LPs (well, 6 LPs of demos over 3 collections, so I guess 2 per set). One of those 3 sets is in the 7LP set plus the 5 LPs from the album and the live show, thats 7 discs. So unless one of those sides was cut differently, I'm not sure where the Sound Opinion live cuts are. 

The DL is only other offering with just the live takes from SO (the 8CD and 11LP having the full broadcast). Makes me think maybe the SO cuts are DL only. I guess we'll see, but I'll be a little bummed if those 5 songs are only available on the 7LP set, when they could have easily been included on the 11 too.

Maybe they are included on the vinyl in the 11 LP.  But the CD that comes with the 11LP is definitely that SO performance in its entirety.  

whereas the digital copy of songs that comes with the 7LP only includes the songs from SO.  So they may only be DL only on this version?

slightly OT but if anyone is going to the ongoing YHT 20 dates, be there early as there’s an tour exclusive 7” available at the merch table. i was there on the first night and they played all of 70 minutes but i think they have since extended the encore by a few tracks but still not close from what you usually get from a wilco show. 

I get paid next week so I'm hopeful I can pick this up then. I haven't decided yet whether I want the 7 or 11 lp set. Really excited to hear the alternate version of the record also, that's going to be fun.

I really hope they do something huge like this for A Ghost is Born, I think that's probably the Wilco record that I've connected with the most, but obviously YHF is still fucking great

18 minutes ago, platonicplatypi said:

I get paid next week so I'm hopeful I can pick this up then. I haven't decided yet whether I want the 7 or 11 lp set. Really excited to hear the alternate version of the record also, that's going to be fun.

I really hope they do something huge like this for A Ghost is Born, I think that's probably the Wilco record that I've connected with the most, but obviously YHF is still fucking great

Agreed on Ghost is Born. It's my favorite Wilco album and my favorite Wilco live era also. I'm on the fence about the YHF 7LP set, but I was at that show at the Pageant, so I'll probably get it for that reason alone. 

2 hours ago, platonicplatypi said:

AGIB came out around when I first heard Wilco. Definitely looking forward to that reissue, but I doubt there's nearly as much in the vaults for those songs are there were for YHF. Much simpler songs, fewer members, Tweedy was going through a notoriously rough time in his personal life. He might not even want to do a deep dive into all that.

On 4/21/2022 at 9:43 PM, DC1221 said:

AGIB came out around when I first heard Wilco. Definitely looking forward to that reissue, but I doubt there's nearly as much in the vaults for those songs are there were for YHF. Much simpler songs, fewer members, Tweedy was going through a notoriously rough time in his personal life. He might not even want to do a deep dive into all that.

I guess we'll have to see, it is encouraging that these reissues seem to grow in size as time has gone on though. Ultimately though even if  a deluxe set for AGIB never came to pass, I'd would gladly buy a nice colored vinyl pressing and let my old press of Ghost retire.  

They had sessions for AGIB, where in between YHF tour legs they would go in and just jam and do noise and just craft songs on the spot. If you have The Wilco Book with the CD, you have selections of those sessions. Jeff called them Fundamentals (He explains them in the Wilco Book and the booklet for the AMF compilation). I believe he said there are 4 or 6 discs worth of those jams and he wants to release them. Bob Dylans Beard and Panthers are 2 songs that came out of that. While there may not be many more fully fleshed out songs, I have no doubt there are different takes or baby versions of AGIB songs in there too. It probably won't be as satisfying as these demos on this YHF box, but if you like the weirder more experimental Wilco, I have zero doubt thats the bonus content for you. IF thats what goes into the reissue. 

I wasn’t a fan of Ode to Joy. New song seems ok to me - like something they would have come out with after AM, though I’m not sure I need a double album of Wilco Goes Country (which seems to be the desired vibe https://www.stereogum.com/2184947/wilco-cruel-country-falling-apart-right-now/music/). 

Ode to Joy has a very autumnal vibe that appeals to me a lot. Probably helped that it dropped in October and I listened to it a million times that fall. I totally get people not loving it though. It’s a pretty slow and monotone album and that’s definitely not everyone’s cup of tea.