PO NOW: The Wonder Years - The Hum Goes On Forever (Sept 23rd)

7 minutes ago, TheWindBlower said:

Yeah, I'm more afraid of missing out on the 1000 and needing to spend an extra $15 on a 7". There's gotta be a US indie exclusive coming. Maybe a Kerrang/Revolver/Hard Times variant?

The +$15 also gets you a 180g version of the record , if you're into that sort of thing.

Oh and also the jacket is different (will store the 7 inch and is matte)

Edited by HardlineKid

Every preorder automatically enters you to win a grand prize of a pair of custom The Hum Goes on Forever Air Jordan 1s in your size, handmade by Naturally Soled. Only two pairs of these are getting made. Three runner up winners will be selected to receive test presses. Winners will be announced on October 1, 2022.

if it weren't for the state of the industry at this point i'd be up in arms about $40 for an LP + exclusive 7". but given some gatefold double LPs sell for $40 straight up, this is fine. besides, this band deserves it, especially if this is their swan song, which it sounds like it very well could be. this band changed my life, i can throw them a few extra bucks for that.

wyatt's song is ok, oldest daughter is good, summer clothes is genuinely great and i'm not being a dad rock shoegazy old fart about this; also, to me, summer clothes always sounded like it could go on much longer than it does (like, it doesn't feel like it should end when it does, it feels like it should crescendo on forever, bathing in the warm hug of that bass tone), so the fact there's a 7-minute version makes perfect sense

frankly i don't have super high hopes for the album. sister cities was a dud for me, and while it sounds better than sister cities already, i don't think it'll reach the heights that no closer to heaven did—which, itself, did not reach the heights that the greatest generation did. just a slow fade out.

2 hours ago, glass realms said:

Why is it every time TWY put out a new album everybody thinks it will be their last?

i didn't know this was a "thing," for me this is my first time even entertaining the idea. but based on what soupy said at the beginning of the album teaser, it just sounds like it's near the end of the road. i would be more than happy to be wrong. but i also wouldn't blame them, they've been doing this for almost 20 years

Edited by chamb117

2 minutes ago, HardlineKid said:

I'm not a fan of the way they release vinyl. I had a feeling it would be like this... A few variants that are not very limited. I get why they do it, but the collector in me likes the thrill of scrambling to get the most limited variants.

I loved it.  I was a bit worried that it would be a shit show at noon with 10 variants.  This was easy on the wallet and stress free.

1 hour ago, HardlineKid said:

I'm not a fan of the way they release vinyl. I had a feeling it would be like this... A few variants that are not very limited. I get why they do it, but the collector in me likes the thrill of scrambling to get the most limited variants.

I have to say that I preferred this way that they did it.

No bundles, discounts if you built your own bundles, enough variants to have time to think and order/build those bundles, enough of each variant that the different copies remain accessible without fans getting absolutely screwed on the secondhand market, and released at a time that gives the most amount of people a chance to access it if you’re going to do a single time release.

As a variant collector and someone who helps other collectors I enjoy the hunt too, but this actually took care of the largest swath of fans and that’s will always be the best method in my book.

TWY have never really done a lot of really limited vinyl (less than 500). The most limited Sister Cities variant was the light blue from Banquet which was limited to 500. Besides the opaque blue Banquet variant of NCTH which was limited to 300, the next limited was 1,500.

The most limited variant of TGG was also from Banquet. 

1 minute ago, HardlineKid said:

Maybe a few more before they release... Likely some record store exclusives? We also don't have a retail or indie variant. Then again, SC had very few variants so I also wouldn't be surprised if this was it until September.

US and EU/UK indie variants were up first. Tons of links on the subreddit.

• ethanpricington changed the title to PO NOW: The Wonder Years - The Hum Goes On Forever (Sept 23rd)