PO NOW: The Afghan Whigs - How Do You Burn?

42 minutes ago, jhulud said:

I’m seeing that men next week. I think. I wish Gentlemen would get a reissue. 

youre lucky, for the first time in forever they skipped my city. There's probably going to be a repress sometimes soon but i think you can still get the 3LP version if you look around. It sounds awesome.

Edited by Boojie Horsie

17 hours ago, Boojie Horsie said:

There's probably going to be a repress sometimes soon but i think you can still get the 3LP version if you look around. It sounds awesome.

I see that there are 3 different ones of the 3xLP listed in Discogs:

The Afghan Whigs – Gentlemen At 21 (2014, Vinyl) - Discogs

The Afghan Whigs – Gentlemen (2014, Vinyl) - Discogs

Which one is the preferred one?

8 hours ago, jhulud said:

I've never heard any complaints about any of them, I think you are safe to go with any of them.

13 hours ago, jhulud said:

As far as I know they are all essentially different regional pressings of the same set. Any of them should be fine, just grab the cheapest you see. 

8 hours ago, pepperonigin said:

As far as I know they are all essentially different regional pressings of the same set. Any of them should be fine, just grab the cheapest you see. 

exactly, grab the cheapest, its all the same. I think 2 of them have RSD stickers on the shrink wrap and the other doesn't for some reason.  

and yeah, theyre one of the best live bands ive seen.  For some reason i had never heard of them or really care about this genre but i walked by their show as they were starting (coachella 2011?) and straight from the first song i was like WTF is this band??! and i wasnt the only one, the crowd grew rapidly and everybody left with a big smile. Been following them and going to every show i could ever since.  

I would also encourage any of you to get the live bootleg CDs they sell on tour. I have a few and they are awesome. I can share some if there is interest. 

17 hours ago, ntslash said:

Holy crap. Can you recommend a few? This is quite overwhelming! 

I'm not really the best person to ask at this point. I go back to the 90s as a hardcore fan of the band and obsessed over bootlegs in a pre-internet, pre-Youtube era. I was involved with the bootleg project from the start and provided several to their list. But I myself have not delved into the bootleg site for the most part. And it also depends on the era you're looking for. If you want the Gentlemen era, the soundboard(?) boots from Boston 94 and Italy 94 were always great quality. I love the Dulli 2008 Triple Door show that is on Spotify if you haven't checked that out. But Dulli never phones it in. I'd use the filters and search the site for the highest quality audio and then look for your favorite act/era/setlists from there. I recall there were people actively recording the shows with high end equipment and providing it to the site right after the shows, so there is some really killer stuff in there. 

Tour hasn't technically started yet, although they did that small, last minute warm up show last week. If you are seeing them in Florida to open this leg, report back on the merch! Can't imagine it's anything but shirts with the LP not out until the fall. I am seeing them on the 24th, doing the VIP/meet and greet thing again.

11 hours ago, chiefwahoo said:

Tour hasn't technically started yet, although they did that small, last minute warm up show last week. If you are seeing them in Florida to open this leg, report back on the merch! Can't imagine it's anything but shirts with the LP not out until the fall. I am seeing them on the 24th, doing the VIP/meet and greet thing again.

Will do. Seeing them on Wednesday. 

On 5/9/2022 at 11:24 AM, pepperonigin said:

I know they have tour posters with the Pink Floyd homage. “Wish You We’re Here” in spades devil superimposed on the handshake. I would suspect some shirts with similar design. 

I sent an email to the VIP company requesting the artists name that was doing the VIP package posters, but haven't heard back. Wishful thinking it would be someone like Emek or Slater.